Commands in Korean?

Meghann1965

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I now need to be learning the kicks and blocks in Korean...does anyone know any good sources that give the names of the kicks, blocks, punches, etc? I need to learn them in order to advance in my quest to obtain my second Dan.

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Here's one resource: http://www.mcguru.net/cgi-bin/tangsoodo-flash.cgi?page=termlist

Also, there is a audio pronounciation key. I will try to find it for you because many of the words are not phonetic.

So, your school doesn't use Korean? I have heard of schools that do not.

A few tips:

-all kicks are "cha gi"
-punches, chops, and strikes are "kyon kyuk"
-blocks are "makee"
-chops are "soo do"
-low is "hadon"
-high is "sangdon"
-middle is "chun dan"
-a ridgehand to the temple is "yuk soo do kyon kyuk"
-a side block is "yup makee"
-a side punch is "wing jeng kyon kyuk"
-bow is "k kenyat" which we pronounce "k-kenyay" in our school

A low block would be hadon ma kee. A low knife block would be hadon soo do makee. A high block would be Sangdon makee.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What organization do you fall under? There are many sources out there, but many organizations have these already available and it is best to stay within your org. to avoid confusion. Sometimes there are slight differences in the commands.

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What organization do you fall under? ......Sometimes there are slight differences in the commands.

That deserves repeating.

What organization do you fall under? ......Sometimes there are slight differences in the commands.

There! I said it again.

I have heard variations used on every single command described so far. Please check with your instructor at your school (or ask some of teh high-belt students at your school). Either ask (they might have a hand-out listing the terms) or write out your own based on the exact terms used in yuor school.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What organization do you fall under? There are many sources out there, but many organizations have these already available and it is best to stay within your org. to avoid confusion. Sometimes there are slight differences in the commands.

I would listen to him, Korean is such a strange language and it is never the same between the orgs.

thesandman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My school uses Korean, but not as a requirement. I know many of the Korean names for things, but mostly by osmosis rather than study.

Sometimes in class, I'll switch my counting back and forth between Korean, english, spanish and Cherokee just to mess with the students. Basically telling them they should know the move not the number associated with it.

OP
Meghann1965

Meghann1965

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

The former school I belonged to was affiliated with the Atlantic-Pacific Tang Soo Do Federation until probably March or April of this year.

The school I'm currently affiliated with is a Mu Duk Kwon school. They're the ones who teach in Korean. It's been a huge shock to go into the classes and have to learn to count in Korean. I can count to four...but not higher. YET.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The former school I belonged to was affiliated with the Atlantic-Pacific Tang Soo Do Federation until probably March or April of this year.

The school I'm currently affiliated with is a Mu Duk Kwon school. They're the ones who teach in Korean. It's been a huge shock to go into the classes and have to learn to count in Korean. I can count to four...but not higher. YET.

I hate to be nitpicky again....but when you say Moo Duk Kwan, do you mean the US Soo Bahk Do Federation? Or is this another Tang Soo Do Federation that is still using the MDK name? Or is it an independent school?

I would assume that you'll be using the standard TSD terminology...

Those are available all over the internet....the usuall distinguishing features of the TSD terminology is that punches are referred to as "Kong Kyuk," blocks "Mahk kee," kicks "cha gi," etc.

OP
Meghann1965

Meghann1965

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I hate to be nitpicky again....but when you say Moo Duk Kwan, do you mean the US Soo Bahk Do Federation? Or is this another Tang Soo Do Federation that is still using the MDK name? Or is it an independent school?

I would assume that you'll be using the standard TSD terminology...

Those are available all over the internet....the usuall distinguishing features of the TSD terminology is that punches are referred to as "Kong Kyuk," blocks "Mahk kee," kicks "cha gi," etc.

Master Gutt trained with Kwan Jang Nim Jae Joon Kim, so we follow his style, World Mu Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do. I haven't learned all the information on the school, other than we will continue to follow Kwan Jang Nim's teachings.

DMcHenry

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi Meg,

Tell Master Gutt hi for me.

Has he gone independent or is he still with Master Saul?

Kamsahamnida,

Mac

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Here's one resource: http://www.mcguru.net/cgi-bin/tangsoodo-flash.cgi?page=termlist

Also, there is a audio pronounciation key. I will try to find it for you because many of the words are not phonetic.

So, your school doesn't use Korean? I have heard of schools that do not.

A few tips:

-all kicks are "cha gi"
-punches, chops, and strikes are "kyon kyuk"
-blocks are "makee"
-chops are "soo do"
-low is "hadon"
-high is "sangdon"
-middle is "chun dan"
-a ridgehand to the temple is "yuk soo do kyon kyuk"
-a side block is "yup makee"
-a side punch is "wing jeng kyon kyuk"
-bow is "k kenyat" which we pronounce "k-kenyay" in our school

A low block would be hadon ma kee. A low knife block would be hadon soo do makee. A high block would be Sangdon makee.

we do the same commands except a bow is just kenyat, do you pronounce it with another k in front lynn?

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
we do the same commands except a bow is just kenyat, do you pronounce it with another k in front lynn?

The Korean word for bow is one of the more difficult to pronounce in English. It is written out more like kyeong rye....We just don't have the right sounds. So it is easiest to just slur it together to sounds like kungyet or kenyae, or some variation of that. The beginning k should be somewhere between a k and g.

Last edited:

DMcHenry

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My understanding is the 'k' is = "to". As in "sabomnim kay kyungyet" or "bow to the master instructor".

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My understanding is the 'k' is = "to". As in "sabomnim kay kyungyet" or "bow to the master instructor".

Correct, in that phrase, the word "kae" rougly means to. Although, if you notice, it isn't always "kae" it depends who you are talking to. Basically which honorific you're dealing with. For example, when you say bow to training partner.... &#49345;&#54840;&#44036;&#50640; &#44221;&#47168;....
Sang ho kan e kyung rye. The "e" character is the word for to. Or in the phrase
&#54980; &#48176;&#54620;&#53580;&#44221;&#47168; Hu be han te kyung rye, the te is the word for to.

I didn't catch what Lynne meant with the k-kyung

quoll

White Belt
Reaction score
I now need to be learning the kicks and blocks in Korean...does anyone know any good sources that give the names of the kicks, blocks, punches, etc? I need to learn them in order to advance in my quest to obtain my second Dan.
Listen to as many words as you can. I moved from TKD to TSD and found the pronounciation just a little bit different, just enough to make it difficult. The romanized spelling was also different, which actually was a good thing as you can sort of work out the sound you are trying to make by have 3 or 4 different romanized spellings of the same word.

By far the best bet is just doing more classes and listening to the black belts.

Regards
Graeme

quoll

White Belt
Reaction score

I've only got 2 books with me currently (at work) but both have different romanized spelling.

Sa Bom Nim Kae Kyung Net
Sabom Nim E Kyung Yet

Cheers
Graeme

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi tko,

When instructors command us to bow, they say "kyung yet," but when the master enters the dojang, the highest level students say, "Yuk Dan (or Sa Dan as we have several of those who teach) kee kyung yet" and they do pronounce it as k-kenyay. My gup manual says, "sah bom nim kee kyung yet kyung yet." I've never heard anyone say kyung yet twice. It's supposed to translate to, "Bow to the instructor, bow."

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Correct, in that phrase, the word "kae" rougly means to. Although, if you notice, it isn't always "kae" it depends who you are talking to. Basically which honorific you're dealing with. For example, when you say bow to training partner.... &#49345;&#54840;&#44036;&#50640; &#44221;&#47168;....
Sang ho kan e kyung rye. The "e" character is the word for to. Or in the phrase
&#54980; &#48176;&#54620;&#53580;&#44221;&#47168; Hu be han te kyung rye, the te is the word for to.

I didn't catch what Lynne meant with the k-kyung

Did I answer your question above, quoting tko?

Latest Discussions