Commando Krav Maga and Moni Aizik

nicerdicer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello fellow fighters,

I love the martial arts above everything else. To me martial arts are learning to defend yourself and molding your character. I currently practice Taekwondo, Zen Sen Jitsu and Commando Krav Maga.

I honestly think the techniques from Taekwondo and Zen Sen jitsu are pretty bad for self defense. They are actually stupid if you look at them. I was hoping that Commando Krav Maga would give me the techniques I need to defend myself and the other arts would help me in my personal development. It was all good until I read that Moni Aizik, the creator of Commando Krav Maga is a fraud and a lying marketer.

The reason why I say all of this is this:

Do the techniques from Commando Krav Maga Work?

To me they seem legit and can inflict the necessary force to defend yourself in the particular situations (e.G. the force used in knife defense is a lot more than let's say against a punch to the head).

I personally DO NOT CARE about the history nor the personality of Moni Aizik. The only thing I want to know is:

We practice them under pressure, we practice them slow, we practice them in the dark, we practice them on left and on the right and so on and so forth.

I don't care about the difference between regular Krav Maga and Commando Krav Maga, I just want to know if the techniques from Commando Krav Maga would get me killed (like Taekwondo) or not.

Cheers,

Yoshi

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Depends who you fight.

Go do some quality boxing, Thai or wrestling or something along those lines. If the similarities match then the krav has merit. If you are punching kicking or grappling like a goober then it doesn't.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yoshi, firstly welcome to MT.

Let me point out first that fraud busting etc is not permitted on MT so we will have to step around this topic carefully. Firstly, I think it is very evident that Moni Aizik may not be exactly what he claims to be in terms of his military service and involvement in military training. Is he qualified to teach Krav? Sure, of that I have no doubt. Now I have a set of CKM DVDs and I have studied them carefully from the point of view of someone who teaches Krav, most of his stuff is sound. There are some areas where I teach things slightly differently but you will always find that small variation across many different schools of whatever MA you might choose to study. There are other things that he promotes that I would say are less than optimal but they might work for him and they might work for you. Only you can work that out.

Moni is a big guy and big guys can muscle their way through where smaller guys might struggle. I think it's important to remember that not everything you see taught will work for you. You need engage the brain to temper the brawn.

Summing up, yes Moni is unashamedly a marketer and a good one at that. Yes, Moni may not be what he claims to be. Yes, the techniques from CKM are sound and if you train them until they are second nature they may save your ****.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hello fellow fighters,

I love the martial arts above everything else. To me martial arts are learning to defend yourself and molding your character. I currently practice Taekwondo, Zen Sen Jitsu and Commando Krav Maga.

I honestly think the techniques from Taekwondo and Zen Sen jitsu are pretty bad for self defense. They are actually stupid if you look at them. I was hoping that Commando Krav Maga would give me the techniques I need to defend myself and the other arts would help me in my personal development. It was all good until I read that Moni Aizik, the creator of Commando Krav Maga is a fraud and a lying marketer.

The reason why I say all of this is this:

To me they seem legit and can inflict the necessary force to defend yourself in the particular situations (e.G. the force used in knife defense is a lot more than let's say against a punch to the head).

I personally DO NOT CARE about the history nor the personality of Moni Aizik. The only thing I want to know is:

We practice them under pressure, we practice them slow, we practice them in the dark, we practice them on left and on the right and so on and so forth.

I don't care about the difference between regular Krav Maga and Commando Krav Maga, I just want to know if the techniques from Commando Krav Maga would get me killed (like Taekwondo) or not.

Cheers,

Yoshi

You're focusing on the wrong thing… it's not the "moves" that makes something effective or not…

Depends who you fight.

Go do some quality boxing, Thai or wrestling or something along those lines. If the similarities match then the krav has merit. If you are punching kicking or grappling like a goober then it doesn't.

Er… are you saying that boxing/Thai boxing is the only form of striking that works? That wrestling is the only grappling approach that works? There's plenty of approaches and methods that work that don't really look or behave like any of those… it's a much wider world out there once you open your eyes, you know…

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You're focusing on the wrong thing… it's not the "moves" that makes something effective or not…

Er… are you saying that boxing/Thai boxing is the only form of striking that works? That wrestling is the only grappling approach that works? There's plenty of approaches and methods that work that don't really look or behave like any of those… it's a much wider world out there once you open your eyes, you know…

Does commando krav have a significantly different style to those arts?

Or are the techniques reflected in both.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You're losing me… the original question was whether or not "Commando Krav Maga" would get the OP killed… your answer was that "it depends who you fight". You then continued to imply that, unless the methods (techniques) found are similar to boxing, Thai, or wrestling, then it was "punching kicking or grappling like a goober"… or, to take it out of the colloquial, poor quality and questionable in it's efficacy.

My point was that a lack of similarity (whether Commando Krav Maga has it or not) is not the only, or even a true indication of efficacy.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You're losing me… the original question was whether or not "Commando Krav Maga" would get the OP killed… your answer was that "it depends who you fight". You then continued to imply that, unless the methods (techniques) found are similar to boxing, Thai, or wrestling, then it was "punching kicking or grappling like a goober"… or, to take it out of the colloquial, poor quality and questionable in it's efficacy.

My point was that a lack of similarity (whether Commando Krav Maga has it or not) is not the only, or even a true indication of efficacy.

It is a pretty good indication.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The OP doesn't have a problem, they have a question. It doesn't require a solution, it is asking for the opinion and experiences of people who are familiar with the system in question. And, honestly, it's a question asking the wrong things… which I already stated.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The OP doesn't have a problem, they have a question. It doesn't require a solution, it is asking for the opinion and experiences of people who are familiar with the system in question. And, honestly, it's a question asking the wrong things… which I already stated.

Wow...........

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah… not sure how to respond to that. Either you're having trouble reading the OP, or you're having trouble having your trouble illustrated to you… or…. something else.

The point is that you, and a few others, answer everything here based on your very limited perspective and sense of what's "real" or not… despite the fact that, in many cases, your perspective is simply not part of the context of the questions or threads themselves. I heartily recommend that you start each response by first asking yourself if you've genuinely responded to the previous post itself, or if you're simply going to come across as pursuing an agenda… as, frankly, it's almost always the latter.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah… not sure how to respond to that. Either you're having trouble reading the OP, or you're having trouble having your trouble illustrated to you… or…. something else.

The point is that you, and a few others, answer everything here based on your very limited perspective and sense of what's "real" or not… despite the fact that, in many cases, your perspective is simply not part of the context of the questions or threads themselves. I heartily recommend that you start each response by first asking yourself if you've genuinely responded to the previous post itself, or if you're simply going to come across as pursuing an agenda… as, frankly, it's almost always the latter.

This thread is not about me. It would be better if you didn't keep trying to derail it.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm questioning a poster as to the answer they gave, rather than letting it sit as actually good advice given to a someone who might not be able to discern the difference. And, honestly, the advice I'm giving you is pretty much across the board…

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm questioning a poster as to the answer they gave, rather than letting it sit as actually good advice given to a someone who might not be able to discern the difference. And, honestly, the advice I'm giving you is pretty much across the board…

It is good advice.

OP
nicerdicer

nicerdicer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

I beg to differ, there are tons and tons of really dangerous techniques out there that if used against a punch/knife/gun will 100% get you killed. I am a traditional martial artist but in the traditional ma, I've seen some ridiculous crap. There is just no way of making that work.

I think you simply need a simple, effective yet biomechanically correct technique. Therefore my question if the techniques in commando krav maga are even worth looking into "making it work"

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I beg to differ, there are tons and tons of really dangerous techniques out there that if used against a punch/knife/gun will 100% get you killed. I am a traditional martial artist but in the traditional ma, I've seen some ridiculous crap. There is just no way of making that work.

I think you simply need a simple, effective yet biomechanically correct technique. Therefore my question if the techniques in commando krav maga are even worth looking into "making it work"
So what did you find in the DVDs that you thought wouldn't work, or did you actually attend some of the CKM training?

OP
nicerdicer

nicerdicer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So what did you find in the DVDs that you thought wouldn't work, or did you actually attend some of the CKM training?
I've been attending CKM for 7 months now. I like it a lot, I just want to make sure it's the right training for me as a goal of self defense. I think the people on this forum have enough self defense experience to tell me if the techniques in CKM would work or not.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've been attending CKM for 7 months now. I like it a lot, I just want to make sure it's the right training for me as a goal of self defense. I think the people on this forum have enough self defense experience to tell me if the techniques in CKM would work or not.

But then you are relying on our say so. And who are we?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Find a simple method that you can play with fairly safely. Like a throw or a move or something.

Then get a friend and tell them to attack you. Give them gloves or something make it safe.

But see what happens. If you can find opportunities to pull your moves off. Then it is at the first stage of being effective.

If you cant then you need to address why.

Latest Discussions