Coming full circle? How has your curriculum evolved?

cbursk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am curious to get feedback on how your school’s curriculum has evolved over the past years. I have noticed an interesting phenomenon at the school where I have trained and taught for the past 15+ years.

When I first started training there we were a hard core TKD school. All standup fighting, our sparring was very much a kick boxing style, and a lot of our self defense revolved around Hapkido-ish techniques. Then the UFC came along and opened our eyes to ground fighting.

Over the next 6-7 years we began evolving into learning and teaching more MMA styles, with lots of ground work. Unfortunately some of the BBs didn’t care for these changes and some drifted away or just started not participating at testing. Recently my Sabumnim has been recognizing that although he and I love the ground work maybe it is time to phase it out since it has not caught on like he hoped.

Recently we have been able to coax a few of the old BBs who have moved back to town to start coming into train with us and since we have not been pushing the ground work at our BB class, we have had a few more BBs who would normally not come show up as well. Needless to say I smell a return to more of our kickboxing past as far as the curriculum goes. Plus I think that many of our teen BBs who have never seen some of the old school TKD we used to teach have been very impressed.

So, I have shared part of my school’s story – how have things evolved where you teach over the past 10 years?