Climate Change Discussion/ split from What is the purpose of a Taekwondo form?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you had actually been reading this thread instead of throwing out your cheap punches you would already know my lengthy education and what kind of work I do.

Oh. I was wrong. Not everyone here knows about my career.

You don't.

For the record, as I've posted elsewhere since 2005, after earning a B.A. in religious studies and M.Ed from Marist College, at age 16. ,I went on to earn degrees in mechanical and nuclear engineering, a master's in nuclear engineering and a PhD. in applied physics at Stanford .I spent 12 years working at Los Alamos National Lab, working on things I've mostly only talked around......I also lost on JEOPARDY!-that's me, in the corner....you can see my introduction from this forum, from back in 2005, here

All of which is as relevant to this discussion as your education and career, that is to say,beyond our interest in the subject and willingness and ability to comprehend others' data, not at all.

However, when you insult green technology as a waste of time and money, you insult me. After leaving Los Alamos and the work associated with it, I worked for two multinational utilities based in the U.S. Both invested heavily in alternative energy: wind, photovoltaic solar and thermal solar. I started my career in commercial nuclear power, and I've run coal, wind photovoltaic and thermal solar installations. In the last case, I actually built and ran one, so it's a subject I know more than a little about. For the record, you can read what little I posted about it, here.

Utilities are notoriously risk averse, yet they are happily building photovoltaic and wind installations.

Why?

Well, wind is free fuel(BTW, you're just wrong with the whole flat land thing, again. There are hills all over the country with wind turbines on them or on top of them), and with solar, the fuel falls from the sky for free. Neither requires a lot of people to run and maintain.

In short, they're profitable.

@elder999 - I'm curious what you found funny in all those posts....

That they are as relevant to a discussion on climate change as a tuba is to a shark....
rolling.gif

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We've tried the supply and demand model. Unfortunately, it has led to the US having the highest health care costs in the world, without getting commensurate results (we rank well down among the most developed countries). Countries that use regulation to control costs (either via single-payer, government production of generics, or other means) seem to be getting better value than us. I've yet to see a recommendation using the supply and demand model that seems to have much promise.

I agree ACA hasn't been a resounding success. However, it's also not true that everyone has suffered. Many people have benefited from it. The biggest issue at present is that the two parties (we REALLY need a competitive 3rd party) seem to spend most of their energy around the topic on blocking each other, rather than trying to craft solutions together. The first step away from the old model was bound to be problematic. As would any other start-over solution.

And I've recently seen some articles that seem to contradict my previous understanding about rising health care costs under the ACA:
Everyone Agrees Obamacare Prices Have Been Rising Rapidly. But Everyone Is Wrong.
See for Yourself If Obamacare Increased Health Care Costs
Here's What's Happened to Health Care Costs in America in the Obama Years

Interesting reads, though there seems to be some conflicting calculations among them.
Resoundingly agree with needing a third Party. Been saying it for years.
For my family and my piers, our healthcare cost have doubled, some tripled. What is left of middle income is taking the worst hit in history. A government incentive to not get married, have children and accept making less money to that a person can capitalize from government aid is wrong on so many levels. Just one of the by-products of Obamacare. Another was a reduce in wage increase for most employees 2 years in a row.
I agree, the first attempt at something of this scale was bound to have wrinkles. But we seriously have the cart before the horse. If we can fix the decision making model (3 Party system) much of our challenging issues will fix themselves.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What book did you get that out of? One from the sixties, no doubt, due to underfunding of your public school, or perhaps "quality" homeschooling...:rolleyes:
rolling.gif

As I've posted elsewhere, many times in these discussions:

Because isotopic fractions of the heavier oxygen-18 (18O) and deuterium (D) in snowfall are temperature-dependent and a strong spatial correlation exists between the annual mean temperature and the mean isotopic ratio (18O or D) of precipitation, it is possible to derive ice-core climate records. The record based on an ice core drilled at the Russian Vostok station in central east Antarctica was obtained during a series of drillings in the early 1970s and 1980s and was the result of collaboration between French and former-Soviet scientists. Drilling continued at Vostok and was completed in January 1998, reaching a depth of 3623 m, the deepest ice core ever recovered . The resulting core allows the ice core record of climate properties at Vostok to be extended to about 420,000 years.

The strong correlation between atmospheric greenhouse-gas concentrations and Antarctic temperature,is confirmed by the extension of the Vostok ice-core record. From the extended Vostok record, scientists have concluded that present-day atmospheric burdens of carbon dioxide and methane seem to have been unprecedented during the past 420,000 years. Temperature variations estimated from deuterium were similar for the last two glacial periods.

You can see a lot about it here, because we don't just "disagree," or "agree to disagree":

I'm right, and you're wrong.
rolling.gif

And, er....everyone here knows who I am, and what I've done for my career. You should have a look, and start basing scientific arguments on scientific facts, instead of ....whatever it is you're basing them upon.

That is just hilarious. I am right, and you are wrong. What are you 12 years old?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That they are as relevant to a discussion on climate change as a tuba is to a shark....
Accurate, but an odd reaction in a thread that is, itself, a major swerve from another thread. That kind of side conversation occurs rather regularly on MT.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Resoundingly agree with needing a third Party. Been saying it for years.
For my family and my piers, our healthcare cost have doubled, some tripled. What is left of middle income is taking the worst hit in history. A government incentive to not get married, have children and accept making less money to that a person can capitalize from government aid is wrong on so many levels. Just one of the by-products of Obamacare. Another was a reduce in wage increase for most employees 2 years in a row.
I agree, the first attempt at something of this scale was bound to have wrinkles. But we seriously have the cart before the horse. If we can fix the decision making model (3 Party system) much of our challenging issues will fix themselves.
I wholeheartedly agree that a third party would be a great step. As a vocal moderate, I often find both parties’ stances frustrating.

But I think you and I may we’ll have wandered into what would be deemed political discussion, which would violate TOS. If you’re interested in continuing, PM me.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Accurate, but an odd reaction in a thread that is, itself, a major swerve from another thread. That kind of side conversation occurs rather regularly on MT.

I wholeheartedly agree that a third party would be a great step. As a vocal moderate, I often find both parties’ stances frustrating.

But I think you and I may we’ll have wandered into what would be deemed political discussion, which would violate TOS. If you’re interested in continuing, PM me.

And that's why I'm laughing.....political posts to a scientific question? Really?

Want a picture of everything that's wrong with America? Start there

And @dvcochran, still waiting for you to NAME TWO???

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because I think it's too important to the planet to allow anyone to nod and agree with your wrongly hilarious nonsense..,
You and I agree more often than not, but you’re acting like the arbiter of what’s valid for this thread. Your addresses to both me and DV come across a more than a little condescending.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
You and I agree more often than not, but you’re acting like the arbiter of what’s valid for this thread. Your addresses to both me and DV come across a more than a little condescending.
What, in the name of Buddha's beard, do Obamacare, FOIA suits, and travel have to do with climate change?
I'll wait :rolleyes: , just like I'm waiting for dv to "name two." :rolleyes:
As for dv, well, if he wouldn't post inaccurate, misleading , easily disproven and patently false ( you know, @dvcochran : WRONG) information like "they can only go back 2000 years in the ice shelf," I might show a little bit more respect

Nearly 14 years later, my rule hasn't changed.

Post stupid ****, get stupid treatment.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What, in the name of Buddha's beard, do Obamacare, FOIA suits, and travel have to do with climate change?
I'll wait :rolleyes: , just like I'm waiting for dv to "name two." :rolleyes:
As for dv, well, if he wouldn't post inaccurate, misleading , easily disproven and patently false ( you know, @dvcochran : WRONG) information like "they can only go back 2000 years in the ice shelf," I might show a little bit more respect

Nearly 14 years later, my rule hasn't changed.

Post stupid ****, get stupid treatment.
And what did climate change have to do with TKD forms? Swerves are quite normal - you’ve been on here more than long enough to be aware of that. You object this time because you don’t like the swerve. Tough. It’s a public forum.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
And what did climate change have to do with TKD forms? Swerves are quite normal - you’ve been on here more than long enough to be aware of that. You object this time because you don’t like the swerve. Tough. It’s a public forum.

I've been guilty of thread drift a few times myself, but the admin. specifically said to not get political.

More to the point, I asked a specific question, and got political gobbledygook for an answer.....if some find my responses to gobbledygook disrespectful, well, I'm sorry, and don't take it personally.... it's not you: I don't even know you.

I have no respect for your non-answers and falsehoods.....or any other errant nonsense.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been guilty of thread drift a few times myself, but the admin. specifically said to not get political.

More to the point, I asked a specific question, and got political gobbledygook for an answer.....if some find my responses to gobbledygook disrespectful, well, I'm sorry, and don't take it personally.... I have no respect for your non-answers.....or any other errant nonsense.
What non-answers did I provide?

As for the political, we acknowledged that. We had a brief, amicable exchange, and moved one. That’s probably why no admins stepped in.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In this case though, I do not believe it was thread drift. Rather, political nonsense was put forth as somehow being an answer in a discussion on the science of climate change. That isn’t thread drift. That is gobbly-gook

Latest Discussions