Classic Fight: Hackney vs Yarbourough

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
Nah, that was rigged, Kenpo doesn't work..:)

I love this fight but I don't see any kenpo in there regardless of Keith's history. I see a giant round arm fist to the massive head of the big fella then I see Keith break his own hand on the back of the big fellas head,eventually submitting him

Cheers
Sam

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I love this fight but I don't see any kenpo in there regardless of Keith's history. I see a giant round arm fist to the massive head of the big fella then I see Keith break his own hand on the back of the big fellas head,eventually submitting him

Cheers
Sam

well......by that assessment......all style goes out the window in every fight.

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Great Fight that is a classic. You don't
see these type of fights any more. I miss the Older UFC.

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
Great Fight that is a classic. You don't
see these type of fights any more. I miss the Older UFC.

I love the old UFC too. One of my favs is Keith Hackney and Joe Son. Keith pounds his balls into submission. Not against the rules in those days and my god he takes some wicked shots . I would have submitted after punch number 1

Cheers
Sam
:asian:

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Cheers
Sam

Well let's see....

1) Lead Check followed by rear hand counter (in this instance a palm heel to the face) utilizing Back-Up mass, a kenpo staple also used by other styles but Kenpo is known for it's concepts of checking..

2) Attempted carotid choke with the knuckles often taught in Kenpo techniques "Fatal Cross", "Cross of Death" as well as other places..

3) Low sidekicks used as depth checks as opposed to the standard roundhouse kicks thrown in MMA...

3) Positional and Gravitational check used with the off hand while bludgeoning Yarborough with repeated hammerfists and lifting Back Knuckles (two of Kenpo's most used hand blows)

Nah there was no Kenpo there on second thought... :asian:

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well let's see....

1) Lead Check followed by rear hand counter (in this instance a palm heel to the face) utilizing Back-Up mass, a kenpo staple also used by other styles but Kenpo is known for it's concepts of checking..

2) Attempted carotid choke with the knuckles often taught in Kenpo techniques "Fatal Cross", "Cross of Death" as well as other places..

3) Low sidekicks used as depth checks as opposed to the standard roundhouse kicks thrown in MMA...

3) Positional and Gravitational check used with the off hand while bludgeoning Yarborough with repeated hammerfists and lifting Back Knuckles (two of Kenpo's most used hand blows)

Nah there was no Kenpo there on second thought... :asian:

If you want to talk about the first 3 being Kenpo so be it but number 4 (also marked as 3) is just thoughtless bludgoening. The wasn't a lot of thought going on there just to hope he tapped. But everyone has his own opinion.

Cheers
Sam

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Is kenpo supposed to have a look in the ring?
I didnt get that memo.
If all a guy studies is kenpo and he gets in the ring to fight someone, he is gonna use what he knows......and I bet to that person it would be kenpo.
Just as I'm sure Emmanuel went into that match thinking he sure as heckfire didnt want anyone to know he was secretly using tae kwon do.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you want to talk about the first 3 being Kenpo so be it but number 4 (also marked as 3) is just thoughtless bludgoening. The wasn't a lot of thought going on there just to hope he tapped. But everyone has his own opinion.

Cheers
Sam

Either you don't know kenpo or you didn't pay attention to the left hand and the weight distribution there of. Either way at least you saw 3 where at first you saw 0.

I just wish more people could smash a 400lb weight disadvantage with "thoughtless" moves and without using any training. If they can do that what the heck are we all studying Martial Arts for? Damn, I didn't even mention the footwork or angles yet...

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
Either you don't know kenpo or you didn't pay attention to the left hand and the weight distribution there of. Either way at least you saw 3 where at first you saw 0.

I just wish more people could smash a 400lb weight disadvantage with "thoughtless" moves and without using any training. If they can do that what the heck are we all studying Martial Arts for? Damn, I didn't even mention the footwork or angles yet...

Who knows emmanuel may have a glass jaw. Also once a guy of that size is on all fours i guarentee he would struggle getting up at home let alone with someone pounding his head. I don't remember ever learning in kenpo to pound the hardest part of the opponent/assailants head till you smash your hand. I'm not convinced on the last one regardless and I didn't say I see kenpo in the whole fight I just said if you do thats fine I'm not going to dispute it. I'll leave it at that

Cheers
Sam:asian:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who knows emmanuel may have a glass jaw. Also once a guy of that size is on all fours i guarentee he would struggle getting up at home let alone with someone pounding his head. I don't remember ever learning in kenpo to pound the hardest part of the opponent/assailants head till you smash your hand. I'm not convinced on the last one regardless and I didn't say I see kenpo in the whole fight I just said if you do thats fine I'm not going to dispute it. I'll leave it at that

Cheers

Actually, this is what you said in your first post:

And then you said this, after James commented:

Then you said this:

Mike

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Cheers

You've obviously never seen footage of Emmanuel Yarborough competing or training. He's known for a surprising degree of agility...in short he gets up off the ground quite easily with no struggling. But if YOU can't see the Kenpo (or can see it depending on which post I read) that's fine. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it isn't there. But I'd still love to see more footage of a thoughtless untrained man bludgeoning and subduing another whose mass is 3 times larger than the thoughtless one.

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually, this is what you said in your first post:

And then you said this, after James commented:

Then you said this:

Mike

No i didn't, the glass jaw comment was posted only once

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
No i didn't, the glass jaw comment was posted only once

Umm...Not talking about the glass jaw comment, I'm talking about the comments of Kenpo being in there. One post you're saying it isn't, the next you're saying it is. You're posts seemed just a little bit confusing.

Mike

Latest Discussions