Chungul Sang Soo Makee Questions

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a one-step sparring/wrist grip practice, we will have maybe 5 or 6 pairs of people. Different pairs will be working on different sets. The instructor will tell one pair to practice their set and instruct another pair in their new set. If I know the grip/one-step and my partner doesn't, I will tell him, "Step left, block right, grab the wrist, roundhouse kick to the solar plexus, etc." We help one another out that way. Absolutely, it is the instructor's job to come over and make sure we are executing the moves correctly. The instructor does come over and review how we're progressing.

Perhaps this is where we're having some miscommunication.

This isn't you teaching the technique to the other student; it's two training partners working together to learn a technique. I expect training partners to do that. Many, many is the time that I've been working with a partner and we've both "corrected" each other about what we thought we saw... That's working together. I want you to pass along to me that it was "full step, pivot, block" or whatever to refresh me if I freeze or am off track when we're training. But, a relatively new student shouldn't be teaching the technique from scratch.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Perhaps this is where we're having some miscommunication.

This isn't you teaching the technique to the other student; it's two training partners working together to learn a technique. I expect training partners to do that. Many, many is the time that I've been working with a partner and we've both "corrected" each other about what we thought we saw... That's working together. I want you to pass along to me that it was "full step, pivot, block" or whatever to refresh me if I freeze or am off track when we're training. But, a relatively new student shouldn't be teaching the technique from scratch.
I apologize for not making that clear. We help one another in sparring, too. If the higher belts didn't help me during sparring, I wouldn't be learning nearly as much either. They are after me to protect my front, to turn sideways, to take advantage of an opening when they sidekick, and so on. That doesn't mean the instructor(s) doesn't come around and give corrections/tips. They do.

No, I am not "teaching" anyone from scratch. If someone asked me to teach them a technique that they hadn't learned yet, I would be wary of doing that even if I knew (or thought I knew) the technique forward and backwards. To me, that's a taboo. The instructor will teach them when he/she thinks they are ready. And no instructor is going to ask me to teach someone the basics. For that matter, Dan's who are not instructors do not teach either except at certain times as part of their training - that means specific classes that are overseen by a senior instructor. Red belts are required to teach one children's class per week as part of their training and they are also overseen by a senior instructor.

Now, if someone needed help on preparation for a block, didn't understand offensive or defensive stepping, or just couldn't grasp something, wanted help with a form, and so on, I'd be happy to help them if I believed I could be of assistance (and knew the techniques had been covered in class). If I'm unsure of a technique myself, I will often ask one of the black belts for help while we're standing outside of the training area waiting for the next class.

Do you all think it's unwise to help someone with their training if asked to? How would this differ from a training partner situation in class?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How do you teach this technique? How do the forms influence your practice?

Latest Discussions