Chung Do Kwon

B

bscastro

Are there any practitioners of Chung Do Kwon style of Tae Kwon Do in the forum?

Bryan

OP
G

GouRonin

What's the difference? Honestly, I'd like to know.

OP
B

bscastro

:)
The Chung Do Kwon Style as I learned it has many of the same punches, kicks, blocks, etc. as other Tae Kwon Do styles. However, it has roots in Shotokan Karate, so most of the forms are identical with slight stylistic differences to the Shotokan forms. Also, most of the practitioners of this style do not do the WTF, ITF, style sparring. Also, it contains less spinning kicks and jump kicks than other styles I have seen.

Bryan

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The TKD guy I train with must be doing the Chung Do Kwon TKD, since he teaches the Pinan forms in his class. I know he also does the Tekki, Bassai, and Chinto (Gankaku) forms, in addition to 'standard' Korean forms like Koryo.

Does this sound familiar?

Cthulhu

OP
B

bscastro

Well, there may be more than one style which uses these forms, but they do not have the same name as the forms in Chung Do Kwon. The way the style was started was a Korean guy trained with a Shotokan guy and basically took the forms and adapted them to his style. I'm sure this happened in other styles as well. However, none of the forms in this style are original Korean forms until after black belt. The forms up to black belt are Shotokan forms. The Shotokan guys I have seen do them a little differently, but they are exactly the same moves. I don't know how to spell the, but the forms are called Kuk ma, Pyung An, Chulgi, and Palsek. I think the Shotokan forms are probably common in many Japanese/Korean Karate styles, so I'm sure they show up in many of these. However, I also see that some Tae Kwon Do Forms do not use them at all.

Bryan

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ah, I failed to add one piece of information. The TKD guy I'm training with has said a couple of times that he is using the Okinawan names of the forms rather than the Korean names, basically because they're easier to say.

There are slight differences in the form. For example, Pinan 1 as he teaches it has a reverse punch after the series of upward blocks that the Shotokan form lacks. His Pinan 2 side kick/backfist technique is executed a bit differently than the Shotokan version. These are all little differences, but they are there. However, his Koryo seems to be exactly like every other version (other TKD, Tang Soo Do) I've seen.

I think perhaps they are the same system. I'll try to remember and ask him about Chung Do Kwon and the Korean names for the forms he teaches.

Did you train in this style in California? I believe that's where he got his TKD training, back during the days of the now-defunct PKA.

Cthulhu

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Our organization is Chung Do Kwan, and we don't do any Shotokan or Okinawan forms. we do palgue and WTF Black belt forms. Our Grandmaster's Instructor is Woon Kyu Uhm, President of World Chung Do Kwan in Korea. GM Uhm is/was VP of the WTF and the Kukkiwon. Several of our senior instructors have met him. I have a picture of GM Uhm giving a 6th Dan certificate to two of our senior instructors.
As far as spinning/jumping kicks, it all depends on whether you favor them or not. Myself and many of our black belts have done more than our share of each.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Ooo, ooo, me, me!!! ::jumps up and down waving franticly::

The organization under which I train, the World Tae Kwon Do Association, was founded and is run by Grandmaster Duk Sung Son, a former head of the Chung Do Kwan, and a student of its founder, Won Kuk Lee.

And yes we do the Pyong-an forms, and others that are descended from Shotokan. We've discussed these forms in some other threads before (one I started is in the Korean MA forum). Lemme see if I can find some of them.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It all depends on what generation your Instructor is from. The older generation (Son-WTA) practice Pyong-An forms. The middle generation (ours) practices Palgue. The newer Chung Do Kwan Instructors, especially the WTF-affiliated ones do taegeuk. It also depends on what organization you are afffiliated with.

Mithios

Green Belt
Reaction score
Alot of Chung Do Kwan 1st and 2nd generation student's went with general Choi and the I.T.F.. so there are alot of Chung Do Kwan student's and organization's that do the chang hun(I.T.F.)form's.They were created by general Choi and 1st generation Chung Do Kwan black belt's. That is also my linage. Mithios

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
D'oh! I just realized that this thread was started 3 years ago. bscastro probably isn't even paying attention to it. Oh well.

Anyhoo, there are even instructors out there that have claim to the Chung Do Kwan lineage, that don't belong to either the WTA, WTF or ITF. Jhoon Ree is one such example.

A lot of this has to do with the fact that the Chung Do Kwan was the first Korean MA school to open since before the Japanese occupation. Pretty much everyone and their mother trained there, or with someone from there at some point. (Yes, I know there are exceptions.)

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Apparently, a lot of Chung Do Kwan Instructors who served in the army with Gen. Choi joined his ITF but stayed Chung Do Kwan, as opposed to becoming Oh Do Kwan (Choi's style). For example, Cha Kyo Han was a military Instructor who learned and taught Chang Hun forms but stayed Chung Do Kwan. I don't think he ever joined ITF, but I could be wrong. Also, Jhoon Rhee learned ITF forms but was originally Chung Do Kwan and has essentially stayed independant.

OP
T

ThuNder_FoOt

Wow, my first Takewondo Sabomnim made us learn the Pyong-An, Palgue AND Taegeuk forms in order to achieve Black Belt. And he is a certified WTF Sabo. I must be messed up...

Latest Discussions