Chung Do Kwan Forms

OP
Zepp

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Originally posted by Kodanjaclay
Grandmaster Son is an excellent martial artist, and you are fortunate to be able to train with someone of his caliber. That being said... when the ChungDoKwan opened in 1944, Yi, Won Kuk taught, according to him, Okinawa-te. Grandmaster Son had issued Maj. General Choi an honorary 4th dan in '55; however, it was revoked in '59 due to certain allegations. As I do not know if any were substantiated, I will not repeat them.

The thing is, Choi was not instrumental in forming KTA. Actually the idea to unify first came from Hwang Kee, who with the blessing of KASA was doing just that, and Jidokwan actually joined with them in this endeavor. When Choi popped up he had more political clout than Hwang Kee.

When KTA was first formed it was not the Korea Taekwondo Association, it was the Korea TaesooDo Association. Choi, blew a gasket because his name was not selected, and forced the name change to Taekwondo, which was one of the reasons he was pushed out, and I'm sure his excursion to the DPRK did not help either. At any rate, Uhm Kyu Um and others agreed to the name change. Here is the interesting thing though... supposedly they demanded his resignation, and Grandmaster Um helped him to set up the ITF as part of the deal.

Hope this helps.

That's one version of the history that I've heard. :D

Grandmaster Son and the WTA aren't too well known these days. Might I ask how you know of Mr. Son and what style you primarily teach?

Kodanjaclay

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Grandmaster Son is still as well known as ever. He was the second President of the CDK. I have a personal connection to him via Hwang Duk Son who is his nephew and a friend of mine.

I no longer teach publicly; however, I oversee several schools which offer Taekwondo (I still prefer the older Kwan material but that is a matter of preference) and Hapkido (Haemukwan), via the Korea Hapkido Federation. I also practice, and by no means am I an expert in, both Hung Gar and Hak Fu Pai. I also practice Taijiquan, but do not teach it.

I hold a yuk dan from Kim, Jong Song of the Jung Il JaeOhKwan located near Seoul, who studied with Uhm Kyu Um who trained with Yi Won Kuk.

Hope this helps.

OP
Zepp

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Originally posted by Kodanjaclay
Grandmaster Son is still as well known as ever. He was the second President of the CDK. I have a personal connection to him via Hwang Duk Son who is his nephew and a friend of mine.

I no longer teach publicly; however, I oversee several schools which offer Taekwondo (I still prefer the older Kwan material but that is a matter of preference) and Hapkido (Haemukwan), via the Korea Hapkido Federation. I also practice, and by no means am I an expert in, both Hung Gar and Hak Fu Pai. I also practice Taijiquan, but do not teach it.

I hold a yuk dan from Kim, Jong Song of the Jung Il JaeOhKwan located near Seoul, who studied with Uhm Kyu Um who trained with Yi Won Kuk.

It's a pleasure to converse with someone of your experience and training. :asian:
I hope you wouldn't mind if at some future date I pressed you for more historical details regarding Korean arts?

Kodanjaclay

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Not at all. It would be my pleasure. To be honest, considering your Kwanjang, you may have bits of knowledge that I have never heard before.

I love sharing the arts and learning more about them. If I can help in some minor way, I'm honored.

Latest Discussions