Chuck Liddel Ufc Champ Kempo Tattoo On Arm ?

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
He trains at The Pit with John Hackleman who was a student of Walter Godin.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Correct. Although Hackelman was promoted to 10 degree by Godin it was Hackelman who made the needed drastic changes.

From the horses mouth.

"In 1985, when I moved from Hawaii to California, I switched it from Kaju Kenbo to Hawaiian Kempo. I added some things to it, took away some things and started calling it Hawaiian Kempo. I took out the katas and the forms and I threw in more natural fighting techniques and conditioning. Now that’s my style. Like if you see Chuck (Liddell) with the tattoo on his arm, that’s the logo for my school."

Hackleman says back in the ‘90s other martial artists began calling their style Hawaiian Kenpo, but he is the only instructor to spell his Hawaiian Kempo with an ‘m’. In Japanese, the letters ‘m’ and ‘n’ have the same symbol, so the art can be spelt either way. John has been spelling his art as Kempo since 1985.

"Ours is a little more hardcore. In Hawaiian Kenpo they still do forms and stuff like that. When you see the guys such as Chuck fighting, that’s Hawaiian Kempo. Mine has always been a mixed martial art ever since I started it."

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Why were those changes needed and how are they drastic?

In Japanese, the letters ‘m’ and ‘n’ have the same symbol

I hope japan has been made aware of this....lol

Latest Discussions