Choosing a school

Discussion in 'Beginners Corner' started by Kacey, Mar 17, 2007.

1. JohnnyEnglish

JohnnyEnglish Green Belt

Correct, good that you remind me though.

The training environment and training structure I saw children in, were the same as for adults, this might be the reason why they were not able to follow or concentrate as much as we adults did. I've got no children, so I don't know much about it. However, to answer your actual question, I've been to around 70 maybe 80 different martial art schools, in 50 of them I were just a guest for a couple of weeks, in some others I learnt for months or even years to adapt and gain as much knowledge as possible.

2. TriciaGarcia

TriciaGarcia White Belt

There are some great suggestions in the comments for those who want to start martial arts.

3. christinacorrea

christinacorrea White Belt

thanks for the suggestions

4. alexl1989

alexl1989 White Belt

Hello I'm Alex and I live in Greece...I intend to move to London somwhere in November,I'm kinda trying to start a new life and I am thinking to join a martial arts school too as part of my new "project".The thing is I don't really want to learn how to beat someone up,I am not so interested to learn a fighting technique,I need something that will help me improve my self-confidence,control of myself and my feelings and I was hoping that someone here can advice me where to start.I need something that combines mind and body,maybe a little spirituality in the mix too,it's a little hard to explain but maybe someone here can understand what I mean.Thank you!!!

5. KenpoMaster805

KenpoMaster805 Blue Belt

I did seido taekwondo shotokan but its not my style so i went to Kenpo karate and I loved it I learn a lot in Kenpo Karate and My instructor is awesome and the location is near its about 10 min drive

6. lifelongstudent1

lifelongstudent1 White Belt

I wrote a pretty detailed article that will cover any style any newbie but to big I think for here.

7. maryf

maryf Yellow Belt

well you can check online feedback for many schools but martial arts learning classes must be taken from right and expert instructor therefore it do take time.:bear:

8. Marie_Flowers88

Marie_Flowers88 Yellow Belt

Gosh! I'm thankful that I came across your reply. I'm currently finding a martial arts school and found McDojo which quite popular. Maybe I need to find another school. Thanks for this! ;);)

9. kravmaga1

kravmaga1 Yellow Belt

The most important part of choosing a Martial Art school is for which reason you are getting into the school and the form of martial art you want to learn.

10. KenpoMaster805

KenpoMaster805 Blue Belt

Before choosing a Martial Arts School you need to go to all Martial class in your area and pick what u want
    1st what style you want
    2nd Location of the Martial School isit a good school
    3rd choosing an instructor is the instructor good does he or she teach the technique step by step and by detail
    4th is the Martial arts he or she teaching is effective on the streets
    5th the cost of the Martial Art school

11. Antighsiothail

Antighsiothail White Belt

In that case you may like either Aikido or Ki Aikido, either of which seem to meet your criteria.