Choking - whats your method

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
How does everyone perform a rear naked choke?
Can you describe it and why you think it works as I've not seen anyone else do a choke like we do and I'm wondering why we do it differently.
Thanks.

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It's pretty straight forward, sink in your hooks, one arm wraps the neck, other arm comes around behind the head, apply as needed. It works because you are cutting off blood flow to the head.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
redfang said:
It's pretty straight forward, sink in your hooks, one arm wraps the neck, other arm comes around behind the head, apply as needed. It works because you are cutting off blood flow to the head.
Same for me and my students, but we try to avoid the use of it. It can do some serious damage to your opponent, we try to use the cross chokes.

Flamebearer

Green Belt
Reaction score
redfang said:
It works because you are cutting off blood flow to the head.
I thought the goal of a choke was to cut off air flow, not blood flow...

For rear choke, grab neck in hands from behind, sink fingers into soft area between ... *forgets name* ... those two bones that run across the front of your shoulders.

Wrapping the arm around the neck is what I'm accustomed to calling a head lock.

-Flamebearer

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flamebearer said:
For rear choke, grab neck in hands from behind, sink fingers into soft area between ... *forgets name* ... those two bones that run across the front of your shoulders.
Collar bones?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
A couple of terminology differences going on here.

Here is a good article on chokes and strangles and what is actually occurring physiologically. This article was originally posted here on MartialTalk if I recall correctly.

Lamont

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
Flamebearer said:
Some chokes are designed to cut off circulation to a certain area. We call them "blood chokes".

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flamebearer said:
I call that a choke, and when the goal is to cut off the blood flow I call it a strangle. But, most people seem to just use 'choke' for both.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I personally like it when I can get sankaku. If I've got someone in my guard and I can isolate an arm, I may sacrifice an opposite leg to let the uki put himself into it. From there its snap, roll and tap.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I call that a choke, and when the goal is to cut off the blood flow I call it a strangle. But, most people seem to just use 'choke' for both.
Either way, air or blood, you are choking off the flow.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
When doing the initial wrap with your arm, its important to make sure that everything is going on tight. If everything is done properly, the person having it done to them, should already start to feel discomfort before the other guy begins to squeeze.

As for the air vs. blood choke. Anytime you're doing one thats cutting off air, you're risking serious injury to the other person. The pressure should be felt on the side not the front of the neck.

Mike

OP
S

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
As I thought not one of these examples are like the choke that we do.

Instead of bringing the arm around the neck and the other behind the head all we do is insert the front hand only as far as the trachea so that the radial is pressing on the front and the thumb then sits against the side of the neck. The other hend then slides underneath the first hand palms together thumbs on opposite sides. As mentioned above extreme close contact must be maintained at all times and your leading shoulder should sit behind the head and your head should be on the same side as your rear hand, this encloses the head and doesnt allow any movement. To apply the choke all you need do is to turn the hands clockwize so that the radial pushes into the trachea, dont attempt to squeeze using the arms just maintain a tight control over the head.
This choke is instantaneous and needs to be done progressively in training as blackout occurs VERY FAST and we have had instances of people losing their voices for days. Noobs be careful!
Hopefully people understand my description and I would be happy for everyone to give me some feedback on this method.
It seems to me to be such an easy method and so effective I wonder why it is not used instead of the sleeper hold method that is just so much clumsyer and harder to get to.
Have a go and tell me what you think.

Reactions: MJS

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds a lot like a good hadaka jime, there should be little squeezing action with your arms, you simply stabilize the head like described above and use the small circle wrist movement that Wally Jay made so famous...

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The basic way it's taught is at our school is to place your left hand palm up on your opponents shoulder, than take your right hand and slide it across your opponents neck to move the muscle in your neck (forgot the name, Sternocleidomastoid?) to allow better access to the vagus and phrenic nerves and the carotid artery and jugular. Then the afore mentioned twisting action with the wrists applies pressure to the collection of nerves and also the baroreceptors, which causes a sudden loss of blood pressure to the brain.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another quick note...when practicing strangles turn your head to the side to avoid pressure on your windpipe...safer, and saves you a lot of pain and discomfort..

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
arm raps around neck and grabs opposite shoulder. squeze arms together pushing the bones of your forearm into the neck and keep it tight as to partially if not completely cut off air supply as well as blood supply.

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
silatman said:
How does everyone perform a rear naked choke?
Rear Naked Choke has got to be the most perfect vehicle for a gross and bizzarre sexual innuendo and I just can't think of a good one. I am getting slow. :boing2:

OP
S

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
bignick said:
Sounds a lot like a good hadaka jime, there should be little squeezing action with your arms, you simply stabilize the head like described above and use the small circle wrist movement that Wally Jay made so famous...
Is this a common technique and how do you rate its effectiveness as opposed to the sleeper choke

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hadaka jime just means naked choke/strangle....probably one of the first strangle techniques tought to judo practitioners, very common, and like all strangles...once correctly applied....

nighty night....

Latest Discussions