Choi Hong Hi's Taekwon-Do books

Metal

Green Belt
Reaction score
Online I found an overview of the following books by Choi Hong Hi:

• Taekwon-Do - The Art of Self-Defence - 1965
  • Taekwon-Do (The Korean Art of Self-Defence) - 1972 (6 Editions & 2 Reprints 1972-1986)
  • Encyclopedia of Taekwon-Do: 15 Volume Set - 1983 (5 Editions 1985-2008)
  • Condensed Encyclopedia - 1988 (6 Editions)

Are the number of editions and timeframes above correct?
Is there a later version of the Condensed Encyclopedia than 2003?

I own the 1965 book and the 1972 edition of "Taekwon-Do (The Korean Art of Self-Defence)" plus a PDF version of the Encyclopedia.

I'm wondering, which edition of "Taekwon-Do (The Korean Art of Self-Defence)" was the first to feature the Juche Tul and the sine-wave motion. Does somebody have it handy and can look up the year it was published and let me know about the color of the book and the color/picture of/one the dust jacket?

Thanks!

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe The 1983 15 Volume set published in 1983 is the first published text to contain Ju Che and the term sine wave although knee flexion and knee spring was referred to in prior texts. I do not know the latest date of the a condensed encyclopedia edition.

OP
Metal

Metal

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thank you very much! I thought that Juche and the sine-wave were already present in the first edition of the full encyclopedia in 1983. I'm still curious about the 6 Editions & 2 Reprints of "Taekwon-Do (The Korean Art of Self-Defence)" from 1972-1986, before that one was replaced by the Condensed Encyclopedia.

There must be some members here who have a 1980s edition of "Taekwon-Do (The Korean Art of Self-Defence)".

What was the timeline for the book like? So far I had just had the chance to look ate the 1972 and the 1975 editions, and in the latter it says:

1972 1st edition
1973 1s reprint
1975 2nd edition

It would be great to know when which editions or reprints were released.

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I believe The 1983 15 Volume set published in 1983 is the first published text to contain Ju Che and the term sine wave although knee flexion and knee spring was referred to in prior texts. I do not know the latest date of the a condensed encyclopedia edition.

Would you classify this as knee spring?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Would you classify this as knee spring?

[

Certainly - there is no hard and fast definition of it. I would also say it is an OK yellow belt exhibition of Sine wave. Head rises and falls as they step as a result of knee flexion.

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Certainly - there is no hard and fast definition of it. I would also say it is an OK yellow belt exhibition of Sine wave. Head rises and falls as they step as a result of knee flexion.

Well I agree that it's knee spring but sine wave? Not compared to how it looks today..

And this was better IMO. They went too far with it

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
For me the last part is sine wave-ish but not the rest. Some of them have a little too narrow stances but it's fine

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well I agree that it's knee spring but sine wave? Not compared to how it looks today..

And this was better IMO. They went too far with it

You re not alone. There have been some comparisons to the way things were done in the DVD videos supervised by General choi. The ones with the Black background and how some competitors do it today and found the more recent performances to be more exaggerated.

Latest Discussions