Chizkun Bo

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a formal kata for this weapon?
It is basically a small stick (about 4-6 inches) with a rope loop in the middle for the middle finger to fit through.

Thanks
jeremy bays

old_sempai

Green Belt
Reaction score
New Jersey, way in the woods with 2 dogs, one pass
:asian:

From what your describing this weapon sounds like a variant of the weapon used for Yawara, it too was small, fit in the palm of the hand and was used to strike vital points. But, sorry I can't give you any direction with regard to your question.

:asian: :asian:

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Samurai

Anyone have a formal kata for this weapon?
It is basically a small stick (about 4-6 inches) with a rope loop in the middle for the middle finger to fit through.

Thanks
jeremy bays

I've seen it as a "ninja" weapon. But I'm not sure at all.

/Yari

R

RyuShiKan

Yes we have a kata for that weapon.

It was originally used in Okinawa to pull in fishing nets or as a repair tool for them.
There is a string that goes through the middle so it stays on the finger. I have also heard the name trasnlated into Japanese as "Chisaiken bo" Small= chisai........ken= fist......bo= stick.

OP
Samurai

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Is there anyway to get a copy of this kata on paper, video, or digital computer media?

I have a friend who teaches Ryukyu Kempo in Ohio that uses this weapon very effectivly, but does not have a kata for it. He is looking for a traditional kata for this great little weapon.

Thanks
Jeremy Bays

PS- He told me about using this device for the nets in Okinawa. That information lines right up with the research I have done.

R

RyuShiKan

Is there anyway to get a copy of this kata on paper, video, or digital computer media?

I have a friend who teaches Ryukyu Kempo in Ohio that uses this weapon very effectivly, but does not have a kata for it. He is looking for a traditional kata for this great little weapon.

Actually no. At least not from our association. The reason being you can't learn MA from a video tape.
He would be better off seeking a qualified instructor and studying from them.

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, Togakure ryu and Asayama Ichiden ryu both have formal kata. It's also referred to as an eda koppo.

OP
Samurai

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Actually no. At least not from our association. The reason being you can't learn MA from a video tape.

I COMPLETELY agree with this statement!!! I have seen too many "masters" that bought a 10-Days to Black Belt video and now think they are RULER OF THE MARTIAL ARTS WORLD.

My purpose was not to "learn" this kata from video, but instead to observe for historical purposes. I really should have made that more clear. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks
Jeremy Bays

R

RyuShiKan

I COMPLETELY agree with this statement!!! I have seen too many "masters" that bought a 10-Days to Black Belt video and now think they are RULER OF THE MARTIAL ARTS WORLD.

My purpose was not to "learn" this kata from video, but instead to observe for historical purposes. I really should have made that more clear. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks
Jeremy Bays

Might I still suggest you learn the weapon from a qualified instructor since video tapes are not very good at answering questions.
I think you would learn quicker this way as well.

R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by Kempojujutsu

Does the Chizkun bo differ from the Yawara or is it the same thing?
Bob:asian:

The Yawara that I have seen are different. The Chizikunbo are cigar like with a string that goes through the middle of them and makes them fit like a ring.

R

RyuShiKan

I found a photo of some Chizikunbo.

Attachments

• $chizi-w.jpg
    $chizi-w.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 355

Latest Discussions