Chinese proverbs.../ Riddles...

OP
T

tmonis

Not a psych anything but enjoy mental exercise. TW[/QUOTE]
You must be a mother then. Moms always have that 6th sense about them.%-} I swear My mother knew everything about anything. Hell, I could almost swear she had eyes in the back of her head. :jedi1:

You and Egg have very good answers. I can see this is not stimulating enough. I must dig deeper Grasshopper. lol

Ok lets put you mind to work. What do you think about this one?

"If a person dwells on the past, then they rob the present. But if they ignore the past, they may rob the future. The seeds of our destiny are nutured by the roots of our past."

Good Luck! I am sure none of you will need though. I have not been able to stump any of you yet. :(

Prof. Todd

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tmonis said:
"If a person dwells on the past, then they rob the present. But if they ignore the past, they may rob the future. The seeds of our destiny are nutured by the roots of our past."
Ahh, the linear vs. nonlinear time argument :)

Inasmuch as we must live one event at a time, we have a linear sequence of time; however...and it's a big 'however'...we can arrest our progress by remaining in the past, reliving an event over and over and not moving on. We can deny ourselves a calm and fairly decent future by not applying the lessons learned, in the past, to it.

We live in this moment; but, we do not have this moment until we've let go of the last moment. We cannot prepare for the next moment unless we've experienced this one for all it offers.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
tmonis said:

If you live and think/dwell in the past, time will go on and not be filled with new experience.

The lessons of known past problems, (like teeth/jaw problems) should be learned well (brushing) so they are not repeated in the future as they will be bigger problems of life then (no teeth, no eating enjoyment).

The environment and genetics of the child determines the possibilities of his life. It can also be compared to traditional martial arts. The masters painstakingly planned through time, error and practice (roots) what is taught to the innocent to help him (seed) grow and mature in the art and become what is possible by genetics and training/environment. I also have to include...age...can't start too late! :( TW

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
** Duplicate Posts Removed **

Rich Parsons
Martial Talk
Super Moderator

distalero

Orange Belt
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
Ahh, the linear vs. nonlinear time argument :)

Inasmuch as we must live one event at a time, we have a linear sequence of time; however...and it's a big 'however'...we can arrest our progress by remaining in the past, reliving an event over and over and not moving on. We can deny ourselves a calm and fairly decent future by not applying the lessons learned, in the past, to it.

We live in this moment; but, we do not have this moment until we've let go of the last moment. We cannot prepare for the next moment unless we've experienced this one for all it offers.
All moments arise mutally.

(heard off mic: "There, I've met your practical application, and raise you one not-especially-accurate description.")

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Better to be quiet and be thougth of being stupid, then open the mouth and remove all doubt. .......Aloha

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
"A turtle travels only when it sticks its neck out"

Korean Proverb TW

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
"A turtle travels only when it sticks its neck out"

Korean Proverb TW
I like this one a lot :)

We only make real progress when we take a real risk.

jim

OP
T

tmonis

Awesome work everyone. You guys rock. I really enjoy your the different ways of thinking here. That was kind of like, If you don't learn from your mistakes, your DESTINY is to repeat history. And we all know what give us experience, making mistakes in life so we can learn and gain the wisdom not to make the same mistakes twice.

Egg: Great thinking with the whole time thing.

TW: Right on target. Both of you have the same picture, just a different way to look at it.

Still Learning: I liked both of the ones you sent in. There have been times that I thought the only time I opened my mouth was just to change feet. lol

TW: Yours reminds me of the old pharse we have heard of. "A trip of a thousand miles starts with the first step."

Ok here we go again! "It is not disgrace to lose if one has sought to win."

Good Luck and this one will be my last until January 3rd. I will going out of town for Christmas.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all!!!!

Prof. Todd

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tmonis said:
Ok here we go again! "It is not disgrace to lose if one has sought to win."

Good Luck and this one will be my last until January 3rd. I will going out of town for Christmas.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all!!!!

Prof. Todd
A bit more challenging...seeking to win carries the implication that one is doing one's absolute best. Giving all you have; but, not winning, is still a best effort and caries no shame.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
tmonis said:
"It is not disgrace to lose if one has sought to win."

If you put out your max effort and really try/risk to win in whatever contest you are engaging in, (against yourself or tournament) you will not lose because you are closer to your goal if only in practice.

But if you only went through the motions and didn't try, nothing would be risked/ventured and nothing would be gained. Then it would be a opportunity lost so therefore a disgrace.

Just read yours, Only An Egg, you got the same, I'm just mcwordy! TW

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This has really been an enlightening thread. Beyond the analysis lay the root, within me, of these insights. It has been helpful to me to look at the feelings beyond the platitudes.

Thanks

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here is a riddle/puzzle:

What does man love more than life
Fear more than death or mortal strife
What the poor have, the rich require,
and what contented men desire,
What the miser spends and the spendthrift saves
And all men carry to their graves?

BTW, I found this on a Chinese riddle site but the answer :idunno: I will have to think on it.
So, ??? TW

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
What does man love more than life
Fear more than death or mortal strife
What the poor have, the rich require,
and what contented men desire,
What the miser spends and the spendthrift saves
And all men carry to their graves?
The answer is 'nothing' :)

Mekosho

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Okay...so I saw this painted on a wall somewhere, but who's to say a chinese guy did'nt paint it????

"Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff"
I live by this code...lol

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another puzzle:

Who makes it, has no need of it. Who buys it, has no use for it. Who
uses it can neither see nor feel it. ???

TW

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another proverb, I thought interesting...as I can relate...

Want a thing long enough and you don't
—Chinese Proverb

I can see the longer I want my 2nd dan belt, the more it loses it's value.
TW

Latest Discussions