Chinese Martial Arts Self Defense Video Clips!

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
Those were pretty cool. The kicking technique is something that I will have to play with. Generally, we don't use deep stances like those in our system. The gun technique is similar to one we already do.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Those were pretty cool. The kicking technique is something that I will have to play with. Generally, we don't use deep stances like those in our system. The gun technique is similar to one we already do.

They can be done smaller without the deep stances. ;) Oh... and without actually catching the kick.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It is non-sport Sanshou, or at least that is what it looked like to me, and as soon as I read the caption that said it is taught to the Chinese police I knew it was non-sport Sanshou (aka sanda or I have also heard it called Qinna Gedou - but I am not sure of this last label)

I have trained the leg catch in other CMA styles, including Taiji and it is very cool and the lock used in the Gun disarmament as well in Taiji, however I did not learn it as a way to take away a gun.

I am not far enough along with the non-sport sanshou yet, so I have not trained these. This training is very traditional for such a new CMA. This is the style responsible for my tree pounding and sore arms posts.

And to sum up my feelings on the style... I LIKE IT

And thanks for the clips Brian

EDIT: and the mentioning of Internal and external CMA is a big give away too.... Did I mention I LIKE SANDA

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That was cool. I learned both those techniques in my Sil Lum training. Except it was knife defense instead of gun.

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
2 things come to mind when watching those clips. First, would'nt the round kick defense be more effective if the defender jammed above the knee joint? Second, because I did'nt have audio I did'nt hear anything.Hence this question; would'nt that defensive application be highly advanced, the top of weapon being such a small target ?

1st John1:9

windwalker

White Belt
Reaction score
Loved the clips! It seems like the roundhouse catch would only work if the kick was below the head.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Not to upset, but these are just 2 applications from a style that deals with multiple attacks as well self defense, kicks, punches, joint locks and take downs that is trained to the Chinese police and military. This is also dependant on if I am correct and it is Sanda/non-sport Sanshou

Kicks and/or attacks come from various directions at different levels as would a gun and these are just 2 applications to deal with those specific types of attacks in teh maner chosen. There are others, some much more painful (to but it mildly) to the attacker.

A kick higher, lower or from a different direction would of course be dealt with in a different way as would a gun if used differently.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I liked them as well. Thanks Brian
I was thinking the same about the kick-catching thoughts as the others... my only contribution to it is that first you gotta SEE the kick coming before you can catch it and then you gotta catch it. If a person is dumb enough to "telegraph" their movements to you then you can anticipate what they're going to do and bring to mind what you need to do to counter it.
Some TKD'ers I know can kick very fast and VERY hard so catching something like that would take precise timing and even more precise reflexes. It's do-able just with alot of practice and finely honed reflexes.
But again SD awareness is the key to preventing being caught... unaware. :asian:

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I liked them as well. Thanks Brian
I was thinking the same about the kick-catching thoughts as the others... my only contribution to it is that first you gotta SEE the kick coming before you can catch it and then you gotta catch it. If a person is dumb enough to "telegraph" their movements to you then you can anticipate what they're going to do and bring to mind what you need to do to counter it.
Some TKD'ers I know can kick very fast and VERY hard so catching something like that would take precise timing and even more precise reflexes. It's do-able just with alot of practice and finely honed reflexes.
But again SD awareness is the key to preventing being caught... unaware. :asian:

I don't train in that art, but I would say what we are seeing is high level training. If you watch him closely he moves briefly in the direction of the kick as he catches it. This reduces the impact of the kick and also requires very good timing. The guy's timing is quite good. Also, the closer to the opponent you get the less impact the kick has. So watch him move, he is employing these principles and rather quickly.

I believe the same effect can be achieved by moving in instead of away then in, reducing the time it takes to get control. But I would have to play with that to see if it is truly possible.

Latest Discussions