Chin Na (need some help)

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
CuongNhuka said:
and those mean what? all the latin i know is "you too Brutus" but like i could spell it.

The first quote was " I fear the Greeks, even when they bring gifts", and the second was, "Love conquers all, and we all succumb to love". And there ends todays Latin lesson. :)

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
Thank the Gods, the roman gods that is :)

And the only latin I remember isCogito ergo sum
thank the gods? roman gods?
is that a chi'na technique?
im lost! :D

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
mantis said:
thank the gods? roman gods?
is that a chi'na technique?
im lost! :D

Yes a little know Qinna techniques practiced by Julius Caesar and the roman legion but they called it tendonus ripodus. :)

Sorry I know it was bad, but it is all I had.

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
Yes a little know Qinna techniques practiced by Julius Caesar and the roman legion but they called it tendonus ripodus. :)

Sorry I know it was bad, but it is all I had.

LMAO. Still good mate, still good.

barnaby

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
if you're interested in learning Chinese wrestling (Shuai-chiao) which in fact involves some Chi-na in application (if less in competition), check out this organization: www.shuai-chiao.org

They have a good system and much source material. Its founder, Daniel Weng, trained Matt Furey, when Mr. Furey took first in the Shuai-chiao competition in China.

delicate Flower

White Belt
Reaction score
I agree with alot of the post, Chi Na is a very dangerous and limb destroying art if not used with extreme caution, My Sensei and I train some Chi na in our system and I can tell you that when they are applied correctly they are extremely painful even in controled practice, I would only use these in life or death situations because some of the damage can be forever.

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
delicate Flower said:
I agree with alot of the post, Chi Na is a very dangerous and limb destroying art if not used with extreme caution, My Sensei and I train some Chi na in our system and I can tell you that when they are applied correctly they are extremely painful even in controled practice, I would only use these in life or death situations because some of the damage can be forever.

Hello, I've done a little ju jitsu, so obviously, with that comes the standard range of armlocks/bars, wrists etc. Are there any similarities to this, or is it completely different? I'm quite curious about this. :asian:

Thanks.

Kensai

barnaby

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
anytime you're locking a joint, or seizing for control, that's under the Chinese definition of Chin-na by my understanding of it. what are the circumstances that you're looking at studying under, just out of curiosity? seminar, class? there is a man named Yang who travels frequently teaching seminars -- http://school.ymaa.com/

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kensai said:
Hello, I've done a little ju jitsu, so obviously, with that comes the standard range of armlocks/bars, wrists etc. Are there any similarities to this, or is it completely different? I'm quite curious about this. :asian:

Thanks.

Kensai

Yes there are similarities and its completely different. The standard range of armlocks apply, but Chin Na usually goes further into small joint manipulation, breaking, etc. Also, pure Chin Na gets into vital organ attacks, sealing the breath and the blood (chokes), etc. Chin Na does contain strikes (many do not know this) but they are focused on striking to grab, lock, tear, choke, etc. Even some pressure point type attacking during the locks.

7sm

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings!

For help in sports wrestling, specially freestyle wrestling, shuai Jiao should help, since it has many throws that use the legs.

Chin Na is usually used for joint controls, which should teach you a lot of how the body works and with some thought you could use it to inadvertedly and inconspicuosly turn your opponent around for pins.

Check which attacks and approaches are sports legal.

Also, to win at wrestling, as in many sports the most helpful thing would be good mental training as to devise strategy and tactics that follow in chains...

that will help you learn CONCIOUSLY how to setup your opponent as in a chess match instead of jsut going moment to moment.

If you want to learn more of that just ask... yet know that it is hardly taught effectively in many sports... the ones that do, by accident or by design ussually win. There are several sports psychology and a few trainers that work on this...

and I taught it to one of my students and despite being out of shape (for national competition) he almost defeated one of the #1 judoka in the Island. (The judoka couldn't believe he couldn't thow him!). He went from throwing my student easily to in a few weeks being unable to.

With more coditioning, he could've kept up the attacks and most probably won... yet as they say...

Conditioning is the best technique.

Sincerely,

Juan M. Mercado

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
Yes there are similarities and its completely different. The standard range of armlocks apply, but Chin Na usually goes further into small joint manipulation, breaking, etc. Also, pure Chin Na gets into vital organ attacks, sealing the breath and the blood (chokes), etc. Chin Na does contain strikes (many do not know this) but they are focused on striking to grab, lock, tear, choke, etc. Even some pressure point type attacking during the locks.

7sm

Sounds nasty. Although I've heard of it, I never really understood how it may have differed from other grappling/locking arts. Thanks 7starmantis. :asian:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
barnaby said:
anytime you're locking a joint, or seizing for control, that's under the Chinese definition of Chin-na by my understanding of it. what are the circumstances that you're looking at studying under, just out of curiosity? seminar, class? there is a man named Yang who travels frequently teaching seminars -- http://school.ymaa.com/

Don’t forget the muscle and tendon tearing. Joint locking plus, if you will, in some cases

Yang Jwing Ming aka Dr Yang. His main school is outside of Boston.

He is VERY good at Qinna, I have had some experience with his Qinna ability.

And you are right the Chinese Definition of Qinna includes joint locking, but there is more and 7starmantis saved me the trouble of typing it.

And allow me reiterate there are many many Qinna applications, most actually, that just plain do not belong in a sporting competition.

7starmantis said:

Yup that about covers it. It is can be just plain nasty.

There is also a lot of associated strength training parts to Qinna training as well.

And just about every Traditional Chinese Martial art has some aspect of Qinna in it, some more than others.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Following this thread really piqued my interest. I've been meaning to Order Dr. Yangs book on ChiNa for a while now. But reading what y'all had to say about it finally made me do it.

Jeff

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
JeffJ said:
Following this thread really piqued my interest. I've been meaning to Order Dr. Yangs book on ChiNa for a while now. But reading what y'all had to say about it finally made me do it.

Jeff

Glad to hear it but be prepared, it could make you cringe (it did me)

And it will make you think more than once; OW!!! That has to hurt.

But it is a good book.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree, its pretty violent as far as the chin na themselves....but I absolutely love chin na!!

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Brother John said:
Yes....listen to Xue.
Chin-Na IS very very interesting though.
But the majority of it's moves would get you thrown OUT...if not arrested...from a wrestling meet.

This reminds me of my short time in Ying Jow Pai.

I went to the site and copied and pasted the following.

The "Seven Principles" of Eagle Claw kung fu are
Jow Da Cum Na (clawing and locking),
Dim Yut Bye Hei (attacking pressure points and stopping the breath),
Cow Wai Sau Fung (locking),
Diu Cow Fing Lau (controlling, pushing and pulling),
Sim Jim Tong Na (twisting, jumping and dropping to the floor),
Noi Sup Chung Dit (falling and techniques using waist) and
Fun Gun Chaw Quat (cutting veins and shattering bones).

Sounds like Chin-na to me but it was never described as such in classes.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Eagle Claw is very closely related to chin na in my opinion, alot of the same intent.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
Eagle Claw is very closely related to chin na in my opinion, alot of the same intent.

I agree.

I believe there is Qinna in Eagle claw.

As I said before almost all CMA styles have an element of Qinna. Just some have more than others.

Latest Discussions