Should children learn kenpo self defense techniques

• Yes

• No

• Yes, but modifed for safety

Results are only viewable after voting.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rapport - Rapport - Rapport......... you are right on track as I see it. Once the kids respect and love you.... :karate: you can control them that much more........ I do the same....... sometimes I wrestle with the kids as the "Ultimate GoldenDragon" :samurai: "the wrestling Emperor" or do a "dog pile" on me and the kids love it, they don't realize that one of the benefits of this is physical contact that will eventually lead to "real" sparring! :boxing: The kids are getting used to be thrown around and being grabbed, punched, pushed rolled over etc. and being toughened up for physical combat.... (sneaky huh) LOL that's what I was talking about with attitude but I always have a reason for "EVERYTHING" I do. It's all in the methods.:EG:

:asian:

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hahaa can I come play too :) Sounds like a good time with the kids Goldendragon ~! Since we are pretty new at the kids classes we have found using the assistant instructors and instructors as the kids teachers works. Sensei always watching and the rapport with the children and the upper belts is a good one. One student has brought his just turned 3yr old in as his wife has a newborn at home it's good bonding time for Dad and son even though we are not expecting a whole heckova lot from the tyke he's got a good start ~! We have another 3yr old who already 'goofy foot' snowboards.. (I had to ask the mom what that was hahaha.. left footed forward) they are all a delight. Fridays are pretty casual at the dojo and all the kids were having a ball after their techniques were worked on, and I don't just mean the little ones.. the teenagers were out there playing tag, soccer (with tennis balls) and kicking the hanging tennis balls right along with the wee ones :) Made me smile.. ~!!
One of the mom's proclaimed such a major change for the better with her son. 'quoting her.. "He's finally found something he enjoys, and he's so proud to be learning Karate and after so many failures in his life(the child is but 10) he's now doing something he is good at" One of the other mom's questioned us.. "I've never seen a sport where a child has to memorize so much information why is that?" *shaking my head..
I see one has to deal with not only the child but the parent too.. which is fine.. It seems to get a bit out of the Martial Arts arena and into psychology.. ~!

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ohhh No wonder~! heheee ..
Maybe you would be so kind Dennis as to giving me some insite to Mr. Parker's use of the twist stance. None of the kids are anywhere near his height and are having issues with the whys and whatfor's. eg; Deceptive Panther.. from the twist stance into a double chicken kick.. They are just not 'getting it' they can do the technique.. but are questioning the reasoning. If this isn't the place maybe you could email me if you would ;)
Thanks

Tess

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
several reasons......

coordination, muscle devleopment .....

also in this case the twist allows for "spiraling" rotational force while inplace and the ability to reverse that action.

Keep in mind that all techniques are "drills" and under the rearrangement concept we could tailor them and or adjust etc...... to reality. For the Ideal Phase however we want to be diverse and teach a wide range of motion to the student and many options. On the street these "options" can and should be adjusted to reality and the individual as needed. I for one at this stage of the game do not like chicken kicks. I'm far to heavy and I don't want to leave the ground. But another person may have a different story and it be the best choice for him. Still, in the Base area of the Art I won't delete this technique due to others that may be able to utilize it.

The twist stance originally was used to ascend up stairs and maintain a defensive posture .....

let me know if this helps........

:asian:

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well it helped me ;) Thanks so much.. and I sure don't like chicken kicks either.. Sheesh... keep my kicks where I can be sure I'm going to land on my feet.. hahaa.. these bones like to stick together~!
I'm going to share this tonight.. Thanks again.. off to wake up Seig and dinner then class.. Have a great evening~!

Tess

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
where can i get a copy of this e-book?
Dude... the thread you're responding to is more than five years old. And, judging by the emptiness of the header of the first post, I'd bet the guy isn't in the forum anymore.

Why don't you start a new thread with your questions and issues about teaching kids?

almost a ghost

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Dude... the thread you're responding to is more than five years old. And, judging by the emptiness of the header of the first post, I'd bet the guy isn't in the forum anymore.

Why don't you start a new thread with your questions and issues about teaching kids?

Because he then would of been called a n00b and told to search because there is already a thread about it. :wink2:

Reaction score
As many of you know I wrote an e-book on Instructing Children in the Martial Arts. So I am now asking your opinions on children's programs. My biggest question is should children learn the self defense techniques that are found in the various kenpo systems, please give your reasons as you why you gave the answer you did.

No.

Depending on the age of the child, I'm normally totally against it.

They are after fun, games, recreation and mommy's want babysitting.

From 4 to about 10 any martial art they do is just a fantasy in their minds.

Which means they mostly cannot know when to do it for real, or not.

If you desire to teach them reality based self-defense, then the moves need to be simplified down to no more than 3 moves. ie, step away, side kick then reverse punch.

After the age of 10-14 depending upon the sex and their own individual maturation, much more realistic kenpo can be taught.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette
www.mentaltrainingsecrets.com
www.realspeedhitting.com

Reaction score
My youth classes are for 8-12 year olds. I do not teach them the same traditional Kajukenbo techniques that the adults learn. But I keep the modifications simple enough that they can quickly adapt to the adult techniques once they go into that class. Example, Kajukenbo/Kenpo techniques have a multitude of eye, throat, and groin strikes. I don't think that kids have the self control to not use these techniques once they become involved in a fight. And, the first one who will be sued is the person who taught them to poke someone in the eyes. So, groin kicks are replaced by shin or stomach kicks, and eye and throat attacks are replaced by palm strikes to the face.
Now, once a kid grows up and matures a little bit it's simple to turn the shin or stomach kick into a groin kick. One adjustment of a kick or hand strike, and the technique is the same as the adult techniques.

Mr. Bishop,

I am with you 100%.

Sincerely,
Dr. John M. La Tourrette
www.realspeedhitting.com
www.mentaltrainingsecrets.com

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, We are a Kempo school too and one of the things the younger students (pee-wees and juniors) ENJOY DOING IS......?

.....Is the Judo rolls and falls plus basic and easy throws, the kids enjoy grappling on the ground (just basic stuffs, mounts, pins and holds,& escaping..

Kids love to tumble..Learning how to fall and roll will prevent many injuries as the kids grow up and play.

My son's Judo Sensi once taught Judo to a private school...two things happen, One: less injuries to the kids on the playing ground and two: less bullying in school.

We have been sharing your speed video to our students every year....keep up the good work

The old ways of teaching? ....need to be change...should be easy to learn...less time to learn it...and 1 2 3 memory techniques...just my thoughts on this...

Aloha ( Kids are our future.....they need the right guidance)

Reaction score
We have been sharing your speed video to our students every year....keep up the good work

The old ways of teaching? ....need to be change...should be easy to learn...less time to learn it...and 1 2 3 memory techniques...just my thoughts on this...

Aloha ( Kids are our future.....they need the right guidance)

Thank you.

I loved doing that first Speed Hitting Video back there.

Sincerely,
Dr. John M. La Tourrette

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree with some of the previous posts, Mr. Bishop for one. Kids are not mature enough to handle some of the techniques and therefore they can be modified slightly for safety.

Latest Discussions