Childern of Jujutsu 'Aikido Judo Hapkido'

J

J-kid

I have a question and it puzzles my mind.
Which of these three is the best and desribe why
I dont mean sport aspect i mean pure art of Judo Aikido Hapkido.
Can one really conpare the three?
Please tell me what is the same and what is diffrent about these arts. If anyone has done all three or more then one please tell me what is the best. Thanks.

OP
J

J-kid

I forgot to ask but on the throws i have seen in Aikido/Hapkido How are they throwing people?!#@!@ it looks like the guy jumps for them... please explain hapkido/aikido throws.!!!!

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In some of them, the person will jump to avoid a particularly nasty atemi strike, in others, you must see the throw up close, and preferably do it (or have it done on you)before you can even begin to understand.

Still others use joint/wrist manipulation that forces the uke to either jump out of the technique or get a broken <insert joint name here>. I'd assume you've seen those in Jujitsu though

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, if the aikido/hapkido person is doing the technique correctly, then he/she should have the attacker off-balance and they are able to be thrown easily. A lot of times for practice, when the Aikidoka (and Hapkidoka, I'm sure) don't have much experiance (like me) and they are just practicing the movements of the techniques, the person attacking helps them out by just allowing themselves to be thrown (they are practicing their rolls and falls). It seems, when the Aikidoka has been in Aikido longer (at least, for my case), the uke (attacker) won't just allow the nage (person doing the technique) to just lead them around and throw them, instead, they will offer a lot of resistance so the nage really has to practice getting the uke's off-balance for the throw. So I guess that means I'm saying that sometimes of it is real and other times it's not. Depends on how much experiance the Aikidoka or Hapkidoka have and how they are practicing. (I've only done Aikido by the way and never Hapkido or Judo. If other people have a different opinion for what I've said, please reply.:))

By the way, you should know by now that you can't really compare arts. Judo, Hapkido, and Aikido are very different arts (even though Hapkido and Aikido do some of the same techniques). A lot depends on what the person, who is hoping to try out one of the arts, wants in a Martial art and is looking for. Why do you ask, by the way?

I hope that makes sense a little bit. I just woke up and my mind isn't working quite yet and I tend to ramble about nothing sometimes.

Have a nice day and I hope your back is healing well, Judo-kid.

Robyn :asian:

P.S. Okay, someone else replied by the time I finally got this posted. That's a good answer, Aegis! I forgot to mention that! :)

OP
J

J-kid

Some extra Questions what do they do for ground fighting in Aikido Hapkido??
Also is it kind of like when you are getting armbared in judo and you Granbe???

OP
B

bscastro

Originally posted by Aegis

In some of them, the person will jump to avoid a particularly nasty atemi strike, in others, you must see the throw up close, and preferably do it (or have it done on you)before you can even begin to understand.

Still others use joint/wrist manipulation that forces the uke to either jump out of the technique or get a broken <insert joint name here>. I'd assume you've seen those in Jujitsu though

A friend of mine is pretty good at aikido and demonstrated a couple throws on me. After picking myself off the ground I understood the effortlessness on his part. It was like I was "throwing" myself to avoid having my "arm/wrist/insert joint here" dislocated or broken. Part of it was that I was throwing pretty close to full power attacks and that just helped him, he said.

Bryan

OP
H

Humble artist

Aikido does not deal with groundfighting.
Aikido does have suwariwaza though,which means you are fighting seated (on your knees)

None of them is better than another,that is the old and ultimate answer you will get besides those from people who are biased by one.
I think one can compare them as they all use opponent´s force against him in some way.
When talking about using opponent´s force against him,it is called "awase" in aikido which means "to become one with opponent´s attack".
In judo they use opponent´s force against opponent.
In aikido they use opponents force against them and emphasize circular movement (this is essential in aikido,some striking-atemi is used to a point)
In hapkido they use opponent´s force against them (my hapkido knowledge is limited,but I think this is a major thing in common besides that aikido and hapkido being sister arts.
Hapki also encompasses circular movement,but circles are smaller,there is more striking (hard) and unlike in aikido,there is some more "forceful" movements,going against body´s natural range of motion=breaking joints etc.)

OP
M

MartialArtist

Hapkido and aikido are more grappling upright with strikes rather than pure groundfighting. But they have their armbars, their locks, and submission moves.

Also, what hapkido focuses on for a number of techniques is if you get the guy on the ground, you either punch or kick him in certain places (groin or side of the head, etc.) or you lock him. There is one move that is used by police forces today, it looks like an armbar and they also have a grip on the guy's hair or a "semi-headlock" if they don't.

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Some people call this a lock, but I believe it is a throw in aikido. But anyway, the counter to this is to roll or go with it. So you see alot of people will jump with the throw. this is so they don't dislocate their wrist. This may be why you see some one jump with a throw.
Bob:asian:

OP
H

Humble artist

When you say that they jump,that may be either for ukemi purposes,which you are likely to be familiar with being a judo guy.It is not necessarily a jump always but kotegaeshi which kempojujutsu mentioned is one good example of that.
While original meaning of kotegaeshi (wrist turning throw) is to break opponent´s wrist,which it would do against untrained person/assailant (just dump him on his back and maybe smash his head on pavement) while a trained uke takes the jump,hard kind of ukemi,which is not necessary for survival though unless you are going with full intention or decide to do so.

If it is not this,it can be bad which you may see in some "bad" dojos where technique is taken lightly and uke jumps without actually being thrown at all.

One shall also mention that outsiders sometimes seem to view aikido and go like "Hmmm.That is all dancing as they don´t do anything they just jump,nothing happens" or something like that.
If this outsider is looking at high level aikido,then it can be because of efforlesnes they display by connecting their opponent´s force.

I hope this helps a bit.

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Humble artist

Aikido does not deal with groundfighting.
Aikido does have suwariwaza though,which means you are fighting seated (on your knees)

I can't talk for judo or hapkido, but Aikido for me is a understanding of the movement, and using the optimal/easiest way /oppents force to get into the best position.

It's true that most Aikido styls don't do the physical pratice of rolling around on the floor together. But knowing Aikido, you can use aikido principles figting on the floor.

You can't a technique as when standing , like a nikyo, but a modified form using the principles can be done.

Judo-kid, you have ealier questioned the validity of Aikido, by stating that aikido didn't have punches or kicks. As then I recommend you to try Aikido , not once or twice but a couple of years. Because to understand Aikido you haev toi give it a chance.

Ohh, and on the best : None of them.

/Yari

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mr. Darrin Phillips (kenpo) did an aikido wrist/elbow lock thing on me my first day in his class. I found myself airborne before I even figured out what the heck was happening. When he repeated it from another angle so I could see myself in the mirror as I flew through the air, it sure looked like I jumped and intentionally fell over, but there was nothing intentional about it. with some of that joint manipulation stuff, you just go with it, because you really don't have a choice. the body reacts certain ways when it is mainipulated in certain manners.

OP
F

feintem

It is what KENPO pepole call "MANIPULATION THROUGH PAIN".

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
amazingly, it didn't hurt. well, hitting the ground hurt, but the actual throw was painless.

OP
H

Humble artist

It is called "awase" (joining the forces) in aikido.You could also say "aiki-waza" (harmonious power technique)

It is no use for a normal person to force equally or especially bigger person to a throw with muscle,which leads to loss of energy,sets you up in danger and may get you equally injured.
While accepting opponent´s momentum you can send him for a flight,which is not easy though.

I prefer the term "pain compliance" over manipulation trough pain but this does not necessarily have anything to do with pain,except at lower levels you can use it as a tool,unless it is a pain compliance technique.

:asian:

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by Judo-kid

I have a question and it puzzles my mind.
Which of these three is the best and desribe why
I dont mean sport aspect i mean pure art of Judo Aikido Hapkido.
Can one really conpare the three?
Please tell me what is the same and what is diffrent about these arts. If anyone has done all three or more then one please tell me what is the best. Thanks.
You and your attitude that this art is better than that.

Which one is the best? The one that works for you. But for the art that works for you, you have to train correctly and realistically.

Latest Discussions