Checkin out a kung fu school this friday

Fightfan00

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've always been interested in the chinese martial arts but seeing that there wasent any schools around my area,I never could check out a class untill now.Theres a choy li fut school not too far from me.Could anyone give me some insight about this art.Or what you do in your style in classes?Thanks in advance! Joe

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fightfan00 said:
I've always been interested in the chinese martial arts but seeing that there wasent any schools around my area,I never could check out a class untill now.Theres a choy li fut school not too far from me.Could anyone give me some insight about this art.Or what you do in your style in classes?Thanks in advance! Joe
Look for the connection of waist to body & body to arms... i.e. ... they punch with a sow choy & the whole body body punches, not just the arm swinging & the stances not collapsing.

There should be lions in the school & on display. Important in Southern CMA

Make sure there are plenty of drills on basics happening... stance work, moving stances, punching drills, technique drills.

Make sure the forms they are learning/performing have the intent of a fight behind it. Fast, powerful, strong, rooted, etc...

Make sure that they aren't just doing "moves" in the forms. Make sure they can demonstrate the application for a particular technique.

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
I say go check it out and if its not for you then go with the nearest Martial Arts class in your area because atleast then you will have built up some flexibility and a solid foundation in one Art which will prepare you for learning another. What you have to ask yourself is why you want to learn a Martial Art, be it for fitness, self defence or the philosophy aspect. If its for self defence, does it real matter what it is as long as it is a practical system and get you sweating in the class.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
clfsean said:
There should be lions in the school & on display. Important in Southern CMA
This is true, however I dont know if its enough to judge a school by. I think it all kind of depends on the size, focus, and even revenue of the school as to how much they "decorate" and none of those things affect the level of kung fu being taught.

Also look for low rooted stances but moving smoothly from one to another. Just ask questions and talk to the students, you will get a feel for the school yourself.

7sm

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ask about the lineage and history of the school and style. Do they have pictures of the style's ancestors.

Black Tiger Fist

Green Belt
Reaction score
Palusut said:
Ask about the lineage and history of the school and style. Do they have pictures of the style's ancestors.
Sadly, that really doesn't mean anything.

Your sifu can come from a great lineage ,it does not make him better than any video learning person out there. People put too much into lineage these days.

Yes, you have a better chance of getting the goods from a legit lineage holder ,but it's no gurantee. The best thing to do is to think what YOU want from your training ,then explain this to the sifu. If he can't tell you when,why,where,and how to use a technique ,then you need to move on.

A good sifu can tell you why and show you why you use certain techniques ,not just use this against this.

Choy Lay Fut is a great style ,but there are different lineages of CLF ,so some of what CLFsean said doesn't apply to all CLF lineages.

The three main branches of Choy Lay Fut are

1. Chan Family CLF
2. Hung Sing CLF
3. Buk Sing CLF

Let us know how it's going ,but CLF is a great style.

jeff:)

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Black Tiger Fist said:
Sadly, that really doesn't mean anything.

Your sifu can come from a great lineage ,it does not make him better than any video learning person out there. People put too much into lineage these days.

jeff:)

Very true, but it is based on individual experiences and general advice only. It like where someone goes to college. Its not everything but accreditation is nicer that the correspondence school diplomas in fine courses like criminal justice. :)

Also it can be a traditional sign of an appreciation of their history, which is important!

OP
F

Fightfan00

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I visited the school about 2 weeks ago and watched a class.They train pretty hard which is a plus but as far as talking to the sifu that didnt happen he didnt introduce himself but called me a few days later to see what i thought.The school is 1 hr away from me and with my job and other responsibilities I dont think I can commit.But i'm still thinking about it.

Latest Discussions