Cheaper then Rattan But will it work?

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
:asian:
Hello Everyone I studyed modern arnis 2 years ago I realy enjoyed it but I had to stop training But I am hopefully getting back in to it this summer Sorry To much about me.

Rattan Arnis sticks are not the cheapest thing and after a while they brake. I wounder what you guys think about using 1/2 inch PVC pipe. U can get it dirt cheap and use it for a while but when it brake u can get 10 more feet for 2 dollars. But I was wondering do you think this is a good or bad Idea I know it is not tradional but we all want to save a buck right?

what you think
Adam :asian:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My experience with using PCV was that it was too light, and would break in a nasty manner (lots of sharp bits flying fast).

To increase the weight and safety factor, give it a good wrap with some electrical tape...2 layers min. This way, you will hopefully hear the 'crack' and not see the other part sail across the room and out a window or into someone.

To preserve your rattan, do the same thing. Give it a good wrap with some electrical tape. We've got some sticks at my school that have simply put, been beaten to death and back a few times. They still take a pounding though, mumafied as they are. :D

OP
TallAdam85

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes I do put tape on my sticks It does help keep them in good shape and it makes them look flashy also it is a better way to not take some else stick by mistake.

Thanks for the advice:asian:

OP
TallAdam85

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Did you ever have any of your a stickes crack in half?
One time with my first pair I was doing a drill my friend Hit the one in my right hand and the power cracked it in half. It was cool to watch.

moromoro

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
brisbane australia, zamboanga philippines, sorsogo
Rattan not cheap?????????????????

what do you mean????

its pretty cheap here and back home as well. you just got to know where to look.

I would not worry about trying to perserve rattan (unless it was given to you and had some history) JUST TRAIN with them.

Did you ever have any of your a stickes crack in half?

Often, usually when using other hardwoods (my kamagong sticks have never cracked) but hardwoods such as spotted GUM have cracked on me it.....

thanks

terry

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What's up.

I teach out of Rochester, MI., except my class has been closed for 2 months. I'm starting it up again this month, though.

Just wondering who you train with, and if I know you, since we seem close.

Thanks,

PAUL
:cool:

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
PVC is not safe. Please, please, please don't use it for stick training. You'd be better off with Acetal or Nylon 6/6 or some other synthetic.

Tapps

Green Belt
Reaction score
A good chunk of real rattan will last awhile no matter how you beat it. When it starts to fray .. add tape.

Stay away from the cute polished things you get in most catalogs. They remove the skin and make the sticks weak. I can barely get through a class with one.

I know Renagade makes his own sticks. I bought a pair from him 3 years ago that are still kicking.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Tapps
A good chunk of real rattan will last awhile no matter how you beat it. When it starts to fray .. add tape.

Stay away from the cute polished things you get in most catalogs. They remove the skin and make the sticks weak. I can barely get through a class with one.

I know Renagade makes his own sticks. I bought a pair from him 3 years ago that are still kicking.

Tim does get some high quality sticks. Go to the WMAA website where I believe there is a link to Warriors Den supply co. You can order a nice pair, fairly inexpensively, from there!
:D

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Avoid even the "padded" sticks made of PVC with a coating of insulation; they are cheap, but dangerous. Many years ago a training partner of mine ended up getting 7 stitches due to flying PVC fragments; thankfully it was a cut and not an eye!

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by moromoro
hello sharp phil

i like the new issue of the martialist,
what is your eskrima backgroud????

terry [emphasis added]

I first trained with sticks in college when I studied Karate. We also train stick fighting at the Wing Chun school I attend now.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
PVC = bad idea. If it breaks, and it will break, lots of sharp, pointy bits will go flying about. That's bad.

Rattan is composed of many many fibers compressed together. This has the effect of absorbing a lot of shock so your hands don't get all achey after banging sticks. PVC doesn't have this property. That's bad, too.

Rattan isn't as cheap in North America as it is in the PI or southeast Asia, but you can still find it relatively cheap. Check out furniture suppliers that sell long lengths of rattan. They'll usually cut it down into smaller lengths for you for shipping purposes.

Cthulhu

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://wdsupplies.com/

Rattan sticks (26'' Pair) $25.00

I bought a pair of those 'skinned' sticks from another company...they got hairy the first day. I bought a pait of the 'burned and carved' sticks from the same company. Within a week, they were frayed and really banged up.

I bought 1 pair of these from WD in May 2002 just before the first WMAA camp. I've used em regularly (3-4 times a week) and they are in terrific shape. They are good and dense. This is good rattan, not the thin glossy stuff you see most places advertising.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Quite a few Wing Chun/Wing Tsun/Ving Tsun schools also train in Latosa Eskrima.

Cthulhu

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My teacher studied with someone who studied unde Dan Inosanto, as I understand it.

What's a "butterfly rod?"

OP
TallAdam85

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I trained Under Guru Carlton I am not sure what Org. He IS in but he is a good teacher. He Has Classes Friday nights. Maybe june 20th you can come down and visit us the class has about 15 people and students from all different schools.

What is your school called Mr.Paul and you have a website?

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It does look like we have mutual friends!

Guru Enoch Carlton is a good guy. I have visited your school before, and I would love to come visit again. I most likely will pretty soon, anyhow.

I'm pretty quiet in terms of visability; I have no website as of yet. I am not a martial arts school "owner" so I have limited advertising. At one time I had wanted to build a huge student base; but the amount of work involved to market and budget something like that is two much between my day job.

Now I realize that it is more fun, and more important for me to have a small student base of dedicated students who are interested in learning quality Filipino Martial Arts, and how to fight.

This goes to show to how politics can be overlooked. GuroCarlton is a member with IMAF, Inc. and I am a member of the WMAA. We are still cool with each other, and I certianly would have no qualms over getting together and training with you guys; and as far as I know Guro Carlton would welcome it.

Sensei Calton also knows a Sensei Jaye Spiro who is a WMAA member. He also knows Sensei Bob Barker, who is linked up with Jeff Delenays group, at least at the moment. I am cool with Bob Barker also, and even had the pleasure of visiting his school.

There are a ton of FMA people in Michigan, and when it comes down to it, we are all one big happy family!

I am sure I will have a chance to meet you in the not so distant future.

Latest Discussions