Cheaper beef... Not necessarily lower quality!

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So, I had me a "Flat Iron Steak" last night. The price was actually quite low, and I was anticipating a tough cut of beef. So, I soaked it in some Dale's seasoning for about 10 minutes, and tossed it onto my trusty gas grill.

I was dead wrong about making such an assumption. The steak, when grilled to medium rare perfection, was full of flavor, had a tender texture, and plenty of juice. While it's never going to replace my prized ribeye or porterhouse steaks, it's easily at least as good, if not slightly better, than top sirloin. I joke you not.

So, I've been doing a bit of reading on this particular cut, and found some interesting sites:

Here are some interesting reads, regarding steaks:

http://ard.unl.edu/rn/0302/steak.html

http://news.ufl.edu/2007/11/28/flat-iron-steak/

This joint study between the University of Nebraska and the University of Florida resulted in some interesting discoveries, when it came to cuts of beef that people would never have believed were good.

All it took was the removal of the connective tissue from a chuck steak...

I hope that they get all of the funding they want. They're doing all of us who enjoy good steaks, a huge, huge favor. Rest assured, I will be following their studies with great interest.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting. I'll try that on my next purchase.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Will have to try, my three boy are killing me about steak way to much and daddy does not have the cash for it so they get hamburgers.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So, I had me a "Flat Iron Steak" last night. The price was actually quite low, and I was anticipating a tough cut of beef. So, I soaked it in some Dale's seasoning for about 10 minutes, and tossed it onto my trusty gas grill.

I was dead wrong about making such an assumption. The steak, when grilled to medium rare perfection, was full of flavor, had a tender texture, and plenty of juice. While it's never going to replace my prized ribeye or porterhouse steaks, it's easily at least as good, if not slightly better, than top sirloin. I joke you not.

So, I've been doing a bit of reading on this particular cut, and found some interesting sites:

Here are some interesting reads, regarding steaks:

http://ard.unl.edu/rn/0302/steak.html

http://news.ufl.edu/2007/11/28/flat-iron-steak/

This joint study between the University of Nebraska and the University of Florida resulted in some interesting discoveries, when it came to cuts of beef that people would never have believed were good.

All it took was the removal of the connective tissue from a chuck steak...

I hope that they get all of the funding they want. They're doing all of us who enjoy good steaks, a huge, huge favor. Rest assured, I will be following their studies with great interest.

GO BIG RED!!!

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You know my wife had a flat iron steak when we went out last weekend. (chef's special) While I had a filet mignion. Truth was that her flat iron steak was awesome. (so was the filet)

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This could feed a lot of people. What is the problem with this? I would prefer to eat this.

Probably because they're not even considering any nutritional value that real meat offers. Oh of course they'll inject it with vitamins and minerals and say there ya go! Just as healthy.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
No. What they are proposing is some kind of "test tube" produced meat. Its still every bit as "real" as the "real thing", is it not?

Sure, although it would take a lot of work and research to make it look and feel right, rather than just being a big protein lump. The bigger problem is that it would be hideously expensive and far more environmentally unfriendly than the natural kind.

Cows are pretty efficient, all things considered. Unlike cells in a vat, you don't have to keep them heated, deliver oxygen, and deliver refined nutrients.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sure, although it would take a lot of work and research to make it look and feel right, rather than just being a big protein lump. The bigger problem is that it would be hideously expensive and far more environmentally unfriendly than the natural kind.

Cows are pretty efficient, all things considered. Unlike cells in a vat, you don't have to keep them heated, deliver oxygen, and deliver refined nutrients.
Very true, but they don't need to die those "horrible deaths" now do they? As if they cared. Ever notice cows watching a train go by?

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If there was a machine that could produce steaks and roasts at the touch of a button I would probably have to try it out, if only for the StarTrekkiness of it all.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
If there was a machine that could produce steaks and roasts at the touch of a button I would probably have to try it out, if only for the StarTrekkiness of it all.

I would have to try it out too, but only for the meaty goodness. Meat button? Oh yeah, I would hit it.