Cheap Martial Arts Mats

Analyse

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm starting a dojo in the beautiful country of Mexico. I bought a few mats at a nearby Home Depot here, and they're a real pain to put together. They're intended to be put on garage floors and stay there, so they have to be put together a special way. Basically I'm going to get rid of them and start all over.
What I'm looking for is 24" x 24" and preferably 5/8 - 7/8" thick. All one color.
I've checked a few different sites. My home Dojo in the States has an account with centurymartialarts.com. They told me they can order me whatever I needed and I can possibly get a slight discount, but I'd rather not go through them if I don't have to. Next time I go to my home town is May, but there are always people going to and from the border if you guys know of a place that can ship fairly cheap.

Thanks for your help!

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Go to a pool supply shop or a lace that sells rubber and foam products or whatever you have where you are and get some large jigsaw mats.that are about 4 times the size of regular jigsaw mats.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is a bit of advice that will save you a lot of money. Contact Century Martial Arts directly and become a wholesale dealer then purchase your mats. You will save a lot that way!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a bit of advice that will save you a lot of money. Contact Century Martial Arts directly and become a wholesale dealer then purchase your mats. You will save a lot that way!
I was about to make that very same suggestion. As I recall, Century will set you up without many hops to jump through.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah, martial arts supply companies will usually just want a business license or something like that, to prove that you're really going to be teaching martial arts classes.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thin mats will cause you nothing but problems, so will really cheap ones. You'll just end up back to nothing in a few months. Mats are your most important piece of equipment. They are the thing all of your clients will interact with every class, for the whole class. They are your most important piece of safety equipment. If nothing else, do the mats right. Puzzle mats are pretty cheap and you can get a wholesale account with Century or another supplier fairly easily. They generally come 40'x40'. Some companies that specialize in mats even offer a financing plan on them. Your bank may be able to help you finance them. You can also look around online for used mats, I see mats getting resold fairly regularly in martial arts business discussion groups.