Century Heavyweight uniforms

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Guys,

I bought one of the Centruy heavy weight uniforms (traditional style Gi). That must be the heaviest weight stuff I've ever seen. When washed it's like cardboard.

Do any of you know how to make the uniform softer (faberic softener doesn't do so well.)

Thanks,

Deaf

I would suggest buying a brushed cotton gi instead of a canvas gi if you want soft, but I believe the Century line IS brushed cotton. Is this your first heavyweight uniform? If so, you'll quickly get used to the feel of the heavier fabric.

I simply can't wear a lighter keiko-gi now. They feel too flimsy and they just don't absorb all my perspiration so I feel clammy and wet.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
By the way, I just got another Wacoku 14oz uniform for $60 US. In my opinion, this is a great uniform for the price. Durable, comfortable (it's brushed cotton). The only problems I have had with it is the stayties becoming frayed and worn out over time, but that's a problem you would have with any brand of uniform. Made in Taiwan (for now) which may be a plus for you depending on your politics.

MarkC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have a Juka Gold, which I think I paid about $100 for, which is very nice, and comes in half sizes. If you want to spend the cash, Shureido will tailor a gi for your measurements...but it may take a while to receive it.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a "tiger claw" brand heavy canvas gi that is over 4 years old.. thinking about getting a new heavy weight sureido gi. with mine especialy at first washing it made it really stiff... and I wore it and worked out hard.. by the 6 th washing or so it was not quite so stiff after washing.. but when stiff it does "POP" really well when doing kata.
but I would say work out hard in it and wash it a few times after it gets good and sweaty and i think you will find that the weave loosens a bit and its a little softer.

OH,, good idea never to wash it in hot.. they do shrink if you do that.. same for do not dry it in the dryer for the same reason.

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been wearing the same century heavyweight gi for, literaly, 10 years now. Great stuff.

As for softenning it up, I've got to echo the washing it several t imes idea. Truthfully though, nothing will work like just wearing it.

Especially at tyhe club
icon7.gif

Mark

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been wearing the same century heavyweight gi for, literaly, 10 years now. Great stuff.

As for softenning it up, I've got to echo the washing it several t imes idea. Truthfully though, nothing will work like just wearing it.

Especially at tyhe club
icon7.gif

Mark
Ditto. Although truthfully, mine has never really softened up, and it's about 10 years old now. My wife hates it when I wash it (always afraid the thing's going to break the machine coz it's so stiff. :lol: But like Brian said, I never, ever worry about it ripping. ;)

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes I know a couple of my students that have the same problem.
icon9.gif
I do not understand why they do not go up two more sizes.
Well, Brian, when you get to be Drac's age... :rofl: Kidding, Drac, remember I'm older than you--got another one rolling around any day now. And yeah, I should go up a size or two, but the old gi probably has another 10 years in it, so I hate to change now. ;)

MarkC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have a "tiger claw" brand heavy canvas gi that is over 4 years old.. thinking about getting a new heavy weight sureido gi. with mine especialy at first washing it made it really stiff... and I wore it and worked out hard.. by the 6 th washing or so it was not quite so stiff after washing.. but when stiff it does "POP" really well when doing kata.
but I would say work out hard in it and wash it a few times after it gets good and sweaty and i think you will find that the weave loosens a bit and its a little softer.

OH,, good idea never to wash it in hot.. they do shrink if you do that.. same for do not dry it in the dryer for the same reason.

If you do decide to get a Shureido, I recommend you order from Hamid at kuroobiya.com.
He is great and will help you be sure to get the right size, etc.

Latest Discussions