Celtic Road Warriors vs. Japanese Samurai

C

Cobra

Who would win if the Celtic Woad Warriors took on the Japanese Samarai and why? Both are very fearsome in war. Samurai carry long katanas. Celtics carry the claymores. So who would win and why?

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well I think the Samurai were very well trained and not just with weapons. I'm afraid I don't know much about the celts knowledge of unarmed combat but those samurai swords are very sharp! I think the Samurai would win!

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The Samurai because the Samurai mostly won, but the Celts almost always lost - against the Romans and the Saxons.

The Celts suffered from lack of a command structure. Everybody was trying to be heroic. The idea of integrating archers, infantry and cavalry never really sank in with the Celts.

We always were a bunch of idealistic dreamers.

And now our languages are dying or dead.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bod said:
The Samurai because the Samurai mostly won, but the Celts almost always lost - against the Romans and the Saxons.

The Celts suffered from lack of a command structure. Everybody was trying to be heroic. The idea of integrating archers, infantry and cavalry never really sank in with the Celts.

We always were a bunch of idealistic dreamers.

And now our languages are dying or dead.
Oh, make no mistake the Romans would have defeated the Samurai. The Only reason Samurai existed is because the chinese couldn't figure out an effective way to bring there million hordes to Japan. The Romans weren't above cheating either.
Sean

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Samurai learned three primary weapon systems: Bow, lance/spear and sword/knife. Military doctrine was very ritualistic in both cultures but the road agents of the day were generally more like mobs of clans who ran into each other(or onto Roman pikes :))

Samurai would win.

Mano y Mano, comes down to skill, experience, and personal fortitude (physical and mental)

OP
W

WLMantisKid

the Samurai weren't trained to fight more than one opponent at a given time... two celts attack one Samurai - one dead samurai.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
WLMantisKid said:
the Samurai weren't trained to fight more than one opponent at a given time... two celts attack one Samurai - one dead samurai.
I beg to differ on this one. The point of the bow, lance and sword was to engage in mass combat with combined arms. That included coordinating groups of foot mobile samurai that trained to support each other in combat. Only later in the Empirial history did individualistic, ritualistic and sword based practices become the fashion of the day. When you discuss Samurai, remember that the term is representative of a warrior class that survived for a very long time and changed faces many times in that stretch. So, I guess it comes down to which period of "samurai" are you comparing to which period of "celtic" are you comparing.... some would say that the cattle rustling of the old west was just a modern adaptation of behaviors and skirmishes depicted in the days of Coolchulan and the Scottish days of Rob Roy... technology changes but the goals stay the same.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
Celts would win.

Why...because I have always wanted to be a Celtic warrior! :knight:
Funny you should mention that, I always find myself rooting for the vikings when I hear tales of their exploits.
Sean Wold :viking3:

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
Funny you should mention that, I always find myself rooting for the vikings when I hear tales of there exploits.
Sean Wold :viking3:

The Jedi have you all beat.

:jedi1:

OP
C

Cobra

How about William Walace vs. the Grand Master Samurai from of that era?

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cobra said:
How about William Walace vs. the Grand Master Samurai from of that era?

If we are talking like Musashi vs Wallace... My money would be on Musashi.

What was the number... like undefeated in 60 duels? Against various styles and weapons?

He died of old age in a cave...

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
William Wallace was a leader got people onto his side. He didn't fight by himself. He is more remembered for his rebeling not his swordsmanship. I'm not saying the wasn't a great swrodsman but Musashi was a great swordsman and was remembered for that. I'm not saying he wasn't a great stratagist because e was that as well. My point is Musashi was better than so many people in duels that is what I know him for most. William Wallace wasn't known for going and winning a bunch of duels.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The Samurai had superior organized battle tactics. The one on one stuff was mostly pre-battle contest or one on one fights that were respected as contests of skill in the midst of battle. In Japanese battle there were mounted Samurai, foot soldiers (Ashigaru (SP?)), spearmen, archers etc. That for set battle were placed in array. The Celts, as someone else already said never really caught on to "combined arms" theory.

One on one its more "the man in the fight" but those Samurai weapons and armor were high-quality and many were highly trained. They also were retainers, they didnt have to worry about much else other than training and fighting.

Latest Discussions