Car Shopping....

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
He said it still cranked but, it could still have some decent internal damage. You are correct about the motor having to come out if it is a van. The question would be which is cheaper the engine repairs or a new vehicle?

we are talkingg about an 88 chevy van, with bad shocks, no muffler and icky (but reliable) breaks.

If the motor is shot, the van is nothing but a huge boat anchor. I found the leeking part, might be accesible for my scawny friend who likes to work on cars. He just got back from Basic training and is a bit busy this weekend, relaxing, seeing his girl and playing with his siblings etc....by Monday - weather permitting - I will know more.
I hope.

(the motor turned over, but since I think it has not a lick of coolant left, I did not press it)

but it would give me a few more weeks to save my milk money for the new car.

(and I love the practical sollutions you guys have!)
:D

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I heard somewhere the average life span of a modern vehicle is about 16 years. I think that's a bit exaggerated myself, but regardless, yours is well passed that. Even if your friend can get to, and replace that $1.50 part, which is highly unlikely since you have to pound it in, this is just another step in deminishing returns from a once reliable vehicle. Take one of your great pictures of it, put it on the garage wall and enjoy the memory. Hyundai makes the cheapest cars, offer 100,000 mile warrant, get great gas mileage and are made in America. It's time to put the old dog down I'm afraid.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I heard somewhere the average life span of a modern vehicle is about 16 years. I think that's a bit exaggerated myself, but regardless, yours is well passed that. Even if your friend can get to, and replace that $1.50 part, which is highly unlikely since you have to pound it in, this is just another step in deminishing returns from a once reliable vehicle. Take one of your great pictures of it, put it on the garage wall and enjoy the memory. Hyundai makes the cheapest cars, offer 100,000 mile warrant, get great gas mileage and are made in America. It's time to put the old dog down I'm afraid.

LOL, from what I gather the Ford Transit is not made in the USA...

Hyundai is just down the road from me, past Honda and Mercedes....

(If all fails, popping the plug in will allow me to move the beast off the reservation under it's own power...that is worth a lot, really!)

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
LOL, from what I gather the Ford Transit is not made in the USA.
Very possible. I understand several Ford models are made across the border. As for getting it off the reservation, I believe you can run a car about 5 minutes dry before you sieze up. It will take awhile to get where you're going, but it is possible. Just towing it might be a better option. A dealership is just going to wholesale it anyway.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Congrats Gran, you gave all the guys a chance to brag about their vehicles.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Congrats Gran, you gave all the guys a chance to brag about their vehicles.

I have not yet begun to brag... I use to own those.. and I did not talk about my old full size blazer or my S-10 Blazer or my old Jeep Cherokee sport or Xterra yet.... but more on those later....now let me tell you about my Honda :D

You can tell us about your Yugo, Don, if you like.

Yes Don.... do.... :D

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
and of course, there is Bob's brag:
[yt]qP-tyvBGla4[/yt]

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, I have a loaner right now, with option to buy...
a brand new (sort of, all things considered) 2002 Ford Expedition.

Reminds me, gotta put washer fluid in the 'new' car...

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
well, I have a loaner right now, with option to buy...
a brand new (sort of, all things considered) 2002 Ford Expedition.

Reminds me, gotta put washer fluid in the 'new' car...
Awesome! So what you're saving on a new car payment, you can spend on gas. lol.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome! So what you're saving on a new car payment, you can spend on gas. lol.

Shhh... given what you and I drive, I don't think we're allowed to tease people about gas mileage...

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Hey, if range isn't an issue, I still love my LEAF, although if I had a chance to do it again I'd give the Focus EV a serious look.

Latest Discussions