Capoiera question

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am familiar with the the brazilian capoiera and i know there is an angolan version as well as some other african variants

but how particularly does the angolan capoiera differ fromj the brazillian style

I know there are also regional variants too, do they differ much in either country too

thanks

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
OK, gotta lay some groundwork and get a few things cleared up.

First, all varieties of Capoeira are Brazilian. There is no capoeira from Angola, or other regions of Africa.

African arts were brought to Brazil by the slaves, and these arts were mixed, probably also with influences from native Brazilian and European techniques as well, into what became capoeira. Nobody has been able to produce any believeable proof that capoeira already existed in Africa. However, it would be entirely reasonable to believe that some African arts had/have some similarities to capoeira. I am not familiar with African arts, so I cannot comment further.

However, there are two general terms used to describe different ways of doing capoeira. Prior to about 1930, it was just capoeira, and there were regional varieties of how it was done, depending on the teacher. There was very little codified about the art, and it was passed on from teacher to student in the streets. There were no formal schools. The art was also illegal and heavily persecuted by law enforcement in Brazil.

In the 1930s, capoeira was no longer outlawed, but to avoid prosecution, it had to be taken off the street and done within the setting of a formal school. A famous and influential teacher by the nickname Bimba, opened the first recognized academy. The way he taught the art focused more heavily and obviously on the fighting aspect. He wanted capoeira to be a strong and respected martial art. His version of capoeira became known as "Capoeira Regional" (pronounced: HAYGIONAL). This was just "capoeira as done in this region", by Bimba and his students.

Capoeira as done by other teachers, especially another famous teacher by the name of Pastinha, who was a comtemporary of Bimba, and was also very influential, became known as Capoeira Angola, which was just a name used to mean the older way the art was done, differentiating it from how Bimba and his students did it.

Today, these terms are thrown about quite a bit. The art has changed a lot, even from the era of Bimba and Pastinha, but these terms have sort of stuck, tho they are not often really accurate. Today, Regional is used to mean a fast, ferocious, martial game. Angola is used to refer to a slower, more sneaky, thoughtful, deliberate game that is more like a chess game.

There are other ways of playing capoeira as well, and the art will often differ stylistically from one group to the next, and one teacher to the next. This is OK, as this variety is what make the art so rich. But even tho they differ stylistically, people from different groups can and do, and should, play together. The rules change and shift from group to group, and even game to game and moment to moment, and this is part of what keeps you on your toes and ready for the unexpected. It can be confusing, but also very fun and rewarding.

OP
samurai69

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for that

we get a fair few exhibitions and groups over here

but saw a clip on youtube and they mentioned theangola thing

thanks for clearing that up

Latest Discussions