Capoeira Curiosities

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Bigodinho said:
I appreciate what you said Enson. Thanks. :)
no problem. just like to see things friendly. i respect all ma'rs even though in my eyes their art/science doesn't seem effective. i think people join this board to talk about something they love not to fight or get picked on. if thats the case we would all just enrole in elementary school again ;)
peace

OP
B

Bigodinho

WLMantisKid said:
Aside from that, Capoiera has always interested me. Especially back in my days of playing Eddie Gordo on Tekken 3. It's a beautiful martial art that looks like it requires a load of flexibility and body strength that I am a long way from as of yet (im still working on it :p). I have no doubt that I would not want to get into a fight with an experienced capoiera player, as one good shot from their legs would likely end the fight for me.

but a question for your Bigodinho - Im planning on taking a trip down to Texas probably in the spring to see my girlfriend among other things - would it be possible for me to stop in and maybe just take a free class or watch one? It'd definitely be one more check for things I want to do in life.
1- I Actually know the man who modeled Eddy Gordo. His name is Mestre Caverinha, and he teaches in San Francisco, I believe. He's a very talented Master. Unfortunately he got hurt while putting the final touches on the character, so the finished it off with a Gymnasts... which is why Eddy does a lot of flairs, and does a handstand facing away from his opponent, which we are trained not to do.

2- The flexibility and strength will come with the training. We always say that the best thing that can prepare you for capoeira IS capoeira. I have always been a small guy, not very flexible. Now I can do things I never thought I could. It's pretty cool.

3- You and anyone else are always welcome in our class. Your first class is always free, and you are more than welcome to come watch. Just check the website on my signature block for directions.

OP
W

WLMantisKid

That's awesome, and I did check it out - looks good. I'll definitely stop by when I come down. :)

OP
B

Bigodinho

By the way, the silohette(sp?) guy on the very front cover (the "ENTER HERE" page), that's me. And if you go to the STUDENT PROFILES page, I am the last guy on the right in the RED AND BLUE picture. The only guy with a shirt on.

OP
W

WLMantisKid

Aye, I saw where you got your handle. watched a couple of videos too - very cool.

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Enson said:
man calm down! don't be so confrontational. let the guy express his feelings. no one bashes you for doing the "crane" technique or walking around with a drum in your hands. or even posing as jean CON van damme. now its apparent i don't know much about karate so i shouldn't speak much about the art. if the guy is proud of his "mestre" maybe you should try to duplicate that and be proud of your instructor. and if you were no one would bash you for it. relax you'll feel better if you do. i'm not trying to start anything with you. in fact i have always been impressed by your post. it was quite shocking to see you fly off the handle like that. i think you should apologize. show what ma has taught you. those are just my thoughts.
peace
I didnt feel as if I was flaming. I thought I was going pretty easy. Me and him just have a difference of opinion thats all, its nothing personal for me. And you are right about me never training in capoeira, but I have fought against many styles. I dont mean any disrespect, I will tone it down I didnt realize people thought I was getting out of control. I was just expressing my opinion. But Ill do it in a more respectful way.
I sparred a guy who took capoeira once, I was a little mezmorized at first I must admit, but then I just kept low roundhousing him and shut most of his techniques down, wich forced him to rely on punching abillity. I was quite impressed at his punching abillity, and could tell he had crosstrained, but I was more comfortable in close than him. I realize one sparring session does not mean I should judge the art as a whole. Im just telling what I know, seen, and done.
Bigodinho, Im sure your master could whoop my butt, he is a master,older and wiser. I am only 24 and have been in the martial arts for 14 years, he has most likely been training before I was born. I would love to fight a great capoeira fighter to find out for myself. Me and some friends like to find other martial artists who are interested in cross training. We will pad up and get it on with some hard sparring and video record it. Then sit down over dinner or something and analize the fight to see how the techniques of the two styles clash, and how to better each others styles, what could have been done differently on both sides, ect ect. That would be quite informative to do with Go-Ju and Capoeira.
Sorry if I offended you, I hope we can still be friends and learn from each other. I didnt mean to be disrespectful, I guess I just get a little bull headed with my opinions sometimes. Mostly because what I say is what I have learned from my own encounters. But I have not seen or done it all and I realize that very much. :asian:

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
WLMantisKid said:
I dont think anyone has the right to say an art is not effective in self-defense unless that person has trained under every instructor that art has to offer. Otherwise it's just plain ignorance. DeLamar has a cocky attitude and thinks he knows everything about every art. He'd likely tell me that Praying Mantis Kung Fu is not a self defense art, yet he's probably never fought anyone who took it.

Aside from that, Capoiera has always interested me. Especially back in my days of playing Eddie Gordo on Tekken 3. It's a beautiful martial art that looks like it requires a load of flexibility and body strength that I am a long way from as of yet (im still working on it :p). I have no doubt that I would not want to get into a fight with an experienced capoiera player, as one good shot from their legs would likely end the fight for me.

but a question for your Bigodinho - Im planning on taking a trip down to Texas probably in the spring to see my girlfriend among other things - would it be possible for me to stop in and maybe just take a free class or watch one? It'd definitely be one more check for things I want to do in life.
Hey Im not cocky. Im just soooo coooool.
:ultracool :supcool: :cool:
And on a more serious note, I do not think I know everything about all arts. I have formally trained in 3. And fought against many. And trained a little with many different people. But I do not think I know everything about all arts. I dont know everything about the 3 arts I train in, let alone all of them.

OP
B

Bigodinho

I didnt feel as if I was flaming. I thought I was going pretty easy. Me and him just have a difference of opinion thats all, its nothing personal for me. And you are right about me never training in capoeira, but I have fought against many styles. I dont mean any disrespect, I will tone it down I didnt realize people thought I was getting out of control. I was just expressing my opinion. But Ill do it in a more respectful way.
I didn't feel you were getting out of control. It just bothers me when people give their opinion on a topic they know nothing about. Or base an opinion on one encounter with a capoeirista.
I sparred a guy who took capoeira once, I was a little mezmorized at first I must admit, but then I just kept low roundhousing him and shut most of his techniques down, wich forced him to rely on punching abillity. I was quite impressed at his punching abillity, and could tell he had crosstrained, but I was more comfortable in close than him. I realize one sparring session does not mean I should judge the art as a whole. Im just telling what I know, seen, and done.
I guarantee you low roundhousing would not work with the instructors I've trained with. Any capoeirista with experience would know not to stand still long enough to get hit any number of times with low roundhousing. In order to kick a capoeirista, you must first catch him, which with my instructor and the guys I've trained with, that is a pretty tough job.
Bigodinho, Im sure your master could whoop my butt, he is a master,older and wiser. I am only 24 and have been in the martial arts for 14 years, he has most likely been training before I was born. I would love to fight a great capoeira fighter to find out for myself.
First of all, my Master wouldn't whoop anyone's butt unless he absolutely had to. One of the first things we learn is that a capoeirista can escape from any situation, idealy without having to fight. Capoeiristas learn how to survive, not tap out. Because if I have to use my art in real life, the only tapping I'll do is my foot to your knee... lol. If you ever had a chance to "spar" with a great capoeirista, you may find out it would be a lot harder than you originally thought it would be. Low roundhousing will not connect very often. Oh, and duck... don't block... you'll arm will hate you for it when it's in a cast. We don't use pads in capoeira. No protective gear.
Sorry if I offended you, I hope we can still be friends and learn from each other. I didnt mean to be disrespectful, I guess I just get a little bull headed with my opinions sometimes. Mostly because what I say is what I have learned from my own encounters. But I have not seen or done it all and I realize that very much.
You did not offend me only because I realized you were speaking from inexperience. But I would ask you before you offer you opinion, exam what you are talking about beforehand. Try it yourself. Where are you located? I can maybe direct you to a good group to train with.

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I dont really have much time now to train at another dojo, I am going into kickboxing soon and that is taking up all my time training for that. But thanks for the offer, I will take you up on it in the future.

OP
B

Bigodinho

DeLamar.J said:
Do you have a student profile on that web site? Pretty cool pictures also.
I am the last guy on the right in the RED AND BLUE picture. The guy with the shirt. I just posted a video on a thread you created, Martial Arts in Action

www.capoeiratexas.com/thestreetroda3.wmv

The guy with the dreads is my instructor, the other guy is his brother, who I'm training with now. The girl is a pretty tough cookie, she's a very talented instructor.

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
*everyone looks as something runs out the door*
*then 2 things walk in... sanity and good will toward another artist*

i personally don't know how capoeira would be effective in a real fight keeping your hands on the ground... but i have never seen it in a real fight or in realistic situation. i think the art is a very amazing thing to watch. i could sit down with a big bowl of popcorn and watch it for hours... oh wait, i'm on a low carb diet!

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Bigodinho said:
I'm glad you enjoyed. I hope that one day you can find your way back to capoeira. Let me ask you a question. Did you feel that with what you were learning, although you were only there for a few months, if applied correctly, could you defend yourself if you had to? Also, what group did you train with and who was your instructor?
Hey, beginner though I may be, I'd STILL play if I ran into a roda this afternoon! I trained with Pimentinha of Abada Capoeira.

The self-defense question is a toughie, because I was already a karateka when I started capoeira. However, I'd say that someone experienced in capoeira kicks, movement and evasions could absolutely use them defensively. Sure, why not?

OP
W

WLMantisKid

i personally don't know how capoeira would be effective in a real fight keeping your hands on the ground

That's the kind of ignorance that breeds the badmouthing of CMA's.

You wouldn't fight like that, in a real fight you'd use basics like low strong kicks and high strong punches. Everything starts to resemble kickboxing once you start a man to man fight with it.

I'll be darned if I have to worry about "ok lady horse stance, cat stance, punch" if I'm fighting someone out to take my life. It's more like a boxing stance and a lashing of knees elbows and fists.

Most of that stuff is the art part of it, and helps you build muscle and endurance to perform the rest of it better.

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
like i said, i have never seen it used outside of "play". i guess i would be ignorant. thanks for pointing that out!;) anyway i have the greatest respect for all martial artist i just have never seen it been used before. i would be kinda freaked if i had to spar someone and they started doing these rolls and twist on the floor. scarey!!!:ultracool
peace

OP
B

Bigodinho

DeLamar.J said:
Here is a vid of Bigodinho and his buddies training in there capoeira

http://www.compfused.com/directlink/259

Just playin with you Bigodinho
I couldnt resist Im sorry
What in that heck was that? I thought Capoeira was crazy, that's some crazy stuff. lol! That might actually be very effective because it would literally throw me off is someone started screaming like that.

i would be kinda freaked if i had to spar someone and they started doing these rolls and twist on the floor. scarey!!!:ultracool
peace
So would I actually.
You wouldn't fight like that, in a real fight you'd use basics like low strong kicks and high strong punches. Everything starts to resemble kickboxing once you start a man to man fight with it.
Absolutely correct. You don't have to keep your hands on the floor in capoeira. Especially not the style of capoeira we practice, Capoeira Regional. This style is more kicks and fast paced movements. Acrobatics may be involved, but only if you know how to work it into your style. If not, I would leave acrobatics alone. It's not important. In Capoeira Regional if you do any movements on the ground, they should be quick and you would stand right back up. You don't want to stay on the ground doing movements for too long or you will get locked up by someone who knows how.
The self-defense question is a toughie, because I was already a karateka when I started capoeira. However, I'd say that someone experienced in capoeira kicks, movement and evasions could absolutely use them defensively. Sure, why not?
That's what I've been trying to say. Abada Capoeira is a strong group. Very popular. Unfortunately for us, Grupo Capoeira Brasil and Abada Capoeira have never been on the best of terms, except for maybe the Masters who have a great respect for each other. But nonetheless, the have a very strong style, similar to ours.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Bigodinho said:
That's what I've been trying to say. Abada Capoeira is a strong group. Very popular. Unfortunately for us, Grupo Capoeira Brasil and Abada Capoeira have never been on the best of terms.
Lucky me. I wasn't around long enough to care about the politics! :)

Latest Discussions