Capitol Shooting

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090715/ap_on_go_co/us_capitol_police

WASHINGTON – A chaotic scene unfolded near the U.S. Capitol on Wednesday after police shot and killed an armed man in what authorities described as a routine rush hour traffic stop that turned deadly.

U.S. Capitol Police spokeswoman Sgt. Kim Schneider said the unidentified 35-year-old man refused to stop at the checkpoint about two blocks north of the Capitol complex. The man drove the wrong way down a street and struck two officers with his car — one on foot and the other on a motorcycle, Schneider said. The two officers received minor injuries.

Police opened fire after the man brandished a handgun and refused to put it down, said Schneider, who described the melee as "very fast moving, very fluid."

"The officers felt they were being threatened — they were in fear for their lives," Schneider said.

She did not know if the man fired at police first. District of Columbia Fire Department spokesman Pete Piringer said the man was being taken to a hospital. It was not clear where he died.

This one should prove interesting...the bold part is a part of LE involved shootings that irk me. If I'm involved in a pursuit and the BG runs down a couple of cops then exits the car WITH A GUN...I'm shooting him. While its not explicitly stated, I always get the impression that the reporter is saying "The cops shot this guy and he didn't shoot at them first"...to which I say good. In a situation like this Id rather be involved in a "shooting" than a "gunfight".

blackxpress

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hopefully, there's dash camera footage. It should be ruled a good shoot. If he had a gun and refused to put it down shooting him was the right choice. The last thing you want is some crazy guy opening fire on a crowded street.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

This one should prove interesting...the bold part is a part of LE involved shootings that irk me. If I'm involved in a pursuit and the BG runs down a couple of cops then exits the car WITH A GUN...I'm shooting him. While its not explicitly stated, I always get the impression that the reporter is saying "The cops shot this guy and he didn't shoot at them first"...to which I say good. In a situation like this Id rather be involved in a "shooting" than a "gunfight".
It's in DC. I'm amazed that the DC City Council (including multiple conviction felon Marion Barry who can't seem to understand that you really do have to pay your taxes every year, especially when the judge tells you not to miss any more years...) and the Congress haven't required multiple shots be fired at cops before they can LOAD, let alone fire.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Agreed! The bold part is right up there with people who say that the cops should shoot at the legs or try to shoot the tires of a car. Please. This is akin to waiting until the punch is 1in. away from your face before you defend yourself. Typical clueless comments by the media.

OP
Archangel M

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hopefully, there's dash camera footage. It should be ruled a good shoot. If he had a gun and refused to put it down shooting him was the right choice. The last thing you want is some crazy guy opening fire on a crowded street.

I dont care if he refused to put it down or not. if im on a car stop and a man steps out with a gun...hes getting shot. Hell if I catch him pulling a gun from the glove box he's probably getting shot.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll be interested to find out why the fella' didn't want to stop. Wonder what he was up to or trying to hide.

Latest Discussions