Can't take off my tin foil hat....

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No lift source, no propulsion source
The concept of "new" technology is what people have a hard time with. Not gradual refinements over many years, but an original idea engineered and applied. There can't be "no propulsion source", there's simply not a source we are familiar with. A group of college students were able to create a non-explosive torpedo that used Earth's natural magnetic field to propel itself. Though it traveled slowly, imagine what the military could do with it after they allocated billions of dollars into such technology?

physics defying maneuverability
Physics is a very important field of science, but even physics has and is open to refinement. Look at the history of Physics. Quantum Mechanics, Heisenberg's uncertainty principle and Quantum entanglement are all examples of new theories that were rejected and/or scrutinized. However; they were proven to be correct later on, meaning our understanding of science is always expanding.

acceleration rate that would turn pilots into pattee
As mentioned by GP, an unmanned(drone) craft is an easy solution to this obstacle.

Last edited:

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
some of what has been observed by our own military has defied our understanding of physics
Our understanding of physics isn't static though. It has and is being challenged by new ideas and we refine what we know and understand. We must be open to the fact that our understanding isn't the end all and be all of science, nor should we think every breakthrough would be common knowledge.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It’s common sense to assume a large majority of UFO’s are top secret military technology. However some of what has been observed by our own military has defied our understanding of physics. Things that are far more advanced than what Elon Musk and Bigelow are working on and far more advanced than any foreign military has within their arsenal.

I find the extreme skeptics almost as ridiculous as the militant believers.

I had a guy once deny up and down these possibilities, along with climate change and other things....he then goes to church and believes Noah somehow put a cheetah and every species within the animal kingdom on his Ark. Unreal LMAO

People are going to believe what they want to believe. :)
at the moment they are spending billions of $trying to find any sign of "aliens" , why would they bother if they just needed to look out of the window.

trying to lump people who don't think we are being over run with aliens in with those who arnt excepting of climate change , is a bit much

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Still got a year to sort those out.

I've been waiting almost 3 years for my back to the future hoverboard and self drying clothes...
Yeah, there is that... In one of my sci fi stories, I actually one-upped the self-drying clothes. I had a piece of furniture in a little boy's room, into which his mom could just drop whatever clothes he had left scattered around the room (she still had to do that.) The piece of furniture then sorted them, washed them, dried them, and neatly folded them into their appropriate compartments. A typical fantasy of someone who spent her early life doing laundry by hand - sometimes without hot water. :)

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our understanding of physics isn't static though. It has and is being challenged by new ideas and we refine what we know and understand. We must be open to the fact that our understanding isn't the end all and be all of science, nor should we think every breakthrough would be common knowledge.
Another thing we need to remember (and it's been pointed out by many leading scientists) - it is very possible we are approaching a point, where our ability to generate or observe new phenomena in various branches of science surpasses our ability to comprehend and interpret them. Our brain is starting to lag behind our technology. :)

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
The concept of "new" technology is what people have a hard time with. Not gradual refinements over many years, but an original idea engineered and applied. There can't be "no propulsion source", there's simply not a source we are familiar with. A group of college students were able to create a non-explosive torpedo that used Earth's natural magnetic field to propel itself. Though it traveled slowly, imagine what the military could do with it after they allocated billions of dollars into such technology?

Physics is a very important field of science, but even physics has and is open to refinement. Look at the history of Physics. Quantum Mechanics, Heisenberg's uncertainty principle and Quantum entanglement are all examples of new theories that were rejected and/or scrutinized. However; they were proven to be correct later on, meaning our understanding of science is always expanding.

As mentioned by GP, an unmanned(drone) craft is an easy solution to this obstacle.
As I said initially, I'll wait for evidence to present itself. For now all you are doing is basically writing science fiction.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Another thing we need to remember (and it's been pointed out by many leading scientists) - it is very possible we are approaching a point, where our ability to generate or observe new phenomena in various branches of science surpasses our ability to comprehend and interpret them. Our brain is starting to lag behind our technology. :)
So we're slowing becoming like the people in Idiocracy? Tell me something I don't know ;)

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
So we're slowing becoming like the people in Idiocracy? Tell me something I don't know ;)
Oh, no, nothing like that - although some of that IS happening. But no... this is an issue even for very smart people, apparently, including the scientists themselves. They theorize there is a certain natural progression to our ability to comprehend things.

At this point, we have technology that allows us to see various macroscopic and microscopic events. But, even the very smart people who designed the technology to make the observation possible and set up experiments (in some cases) to initiate such events, have reached a point where they have trouble interpreting what they are seeing. Something is happening, the equipment is recording... something. They just don't know what it is. Neil deGrasse Tyson talked about this as did Stephen Hawking.

Not being a theoretical physicist or mathematician, it's not always easy for me to follow them, but it's very humbling to see such great minds to finally get to something they don't understand. And admit as much.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh, no, nothing like that - although some of that IS happening. But no... this is an issue even for very smart people, apparently, including the scientists themselves. They theorize there is a certain natural progression to our ability to comprehend things.

At this point, we have technology that allows us to see various macroscopic and microscopic events. But, even the very smart people who designed the technology to make the observation possible and set up experiments (in some cases) to initiate such events, have reached a point where they have trouble interpreting what they are seeing. Something is happening, the equipment is recording... something. They just don't know what it is. Neil deGrasse Tyson talked about this as did Stephen Hawking.

Not being a theoretical physicist or mathematician, it's not always easy for me to follow them, but it's very humbling to see such great minds to finally get to something they don't understand. And admit as much.

I was just joking. I think I understand what you mean. Our advance tools and instruments allow us to witness things we wouldn't even know they happened. Thus when they witness such phenomena, they must then theorize as explanation to what they witnessed.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The whole theorycrafting bit about how the theoretical ufo could perform as it was claimed to.

No, it was explaining how our understanding and technological capability is ever-changing. That we can't simply say "we can't do that thus it must be aliens" was my point. The magnetic torpedo was an example of a drive mechanism that could be mistaken for "no propulsion".

I've never been called a scifi writer while trying to disprove alien involvement before :woot:

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
I would have to see it for myself to "truly" believe it's ET, or have more confirmation (evidence) of some sort. The UFO phenomena is real, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's alien. That should be obvious. Jacques Vallee has a lot of good material on this subject. We could be ants along side a highway and have not a clue what is moving by us. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

We lack a smoking gun as Machio Kaku says...

Based on what I have read over the last several years on this topic, including alien abductions, I do "believe" there is something to it that does not involve human technology.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was just joking. I think I understand what you mean. Our advance tools and instruments allow us to witness things we wouldn't even know they happened. Thus when they witness such phenomena, they must then theorize as explanation to what they witnessed.
Exactly. Or they might just say, "What the...? Well, I've got nothing, folks! I have no idea what the heck I'm looking at here!"

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
No, it was explaining how our understanding and technological capability is ever-changing. That we can't simply say "we can't do that thus it must be aliens" was my point. The magnetic torpedo was an example of a drive mechanism that could be mistaken for "no propulsion".

I've never been called a scifi writer while trying to disprove alien involvement before :woot:
Without the data/facts/evidence it's all sci-fi dude, it doesn't really matter if it's aliens or government cover-ups.

We might as well be discussing the engineering designs of pokeballs.

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score

Absolutely agree. Science is process. Theories are always being challenged and refined. We could be barely out of the woods on a cosmological timescale....and we may not even be able to perceive or understand would could theoretically be interacting with us. Through science though, we can continue to learn more and progress....or regress. ;)

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Without the data/facts/evidence it's all sci-fi dude, it doesn't really matter if it's aliens or government cover-ups.

Where is the crossover point 'twixt fiction and speculation?

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
it doesn't really matter if it's aliens or government cover-ups.
It does, considering that's what the thread and topical discussion is about
It's not the same at all. The pokeball is fictional, while the craft itself is real, and the magnetic drive is real. That doesn't mean the magnetic drive is the actual propulsion of the craft. The magnetic drive was an example to clear up a scientific misunderstanding

Latest Discussions