Cane Weapon

OP
C

Chuck

I am working through Mark Shuey's Canemaster system right now, I have had a cane for just over a year and we have been trying to incorporate techniques into the self-defense portions of our Dojang training. While I train in Tae Kwan Do, we also work in the joint locking techniques from Hapkido (I have some Aikido in my background) and in the Han Mu Do system that is a TKD-Hapkido-Yudo mixed Martial Art.

I really think that the cane is a perfect carry weapon. It is its own disguise. I try to just carry it around and get used to holding it. i would think that many of the basic strikes from any stick fighting system are applicable, even the five basic kendo (kumdo) strikes would have value. But when my instructor hooked my ankle, put me down, hit me in the groin and the face and then applied an arm bar with the cane...that's when it became a complete weapon.

Besides, I give myself bruises with nunchaku.

OP
C

Chuck

He has blackbelts in TKD andHapkido, so I assume that some of the techniques are from Hapkido. But I don't really know.

What got me interested is his challenge. He says he'll take on any other weapon. But he gets to choose the location. He says bring your weapon to the United boarding gate.

I have yet to take my cane on an aircraft. Maybe this month though.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Heh, good point. I've said something roughly similar to those who say "Martial arts? But what if I have a gun?" There are places you couldn't realistically have a gun.

OP
S

shotmanuk

The Valadez Kenpo Associatiom does a good video cane course called Cane Warrior. It can be purchases via the VKA's website or on Ebay:asian:

greendragon

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have people say that stuff about "hey I don't need martial arts I'll just use a gun" I say to them, "do you have a gun on you right now", and they usually say no, then I say yeah but I have my hapkido on me ALL the time, so your point about the gun is just a fantasy,,,

Talking about cane videos. There are some good ones out there Kwang Sik Myung has a really good one also,, one point about learning cane is when you watch the video, first watch the feet and learn how the person with the cane steps,,, that is the number one most important thing at first,, good cane is like everything else, you start from the ground and go up,,,
Michael Tomlinson

OP
E

Eraser

Hey all,

Just wanted to say that on Oct 31st and Nov 1st the Dojang where I train.. we are having GM Shuey come down for a seminar..the whole school is a buzz.. we cant wait for it... our Dojang has specialty/fun classes every friday night... and we get a cane class at least once a month... the training has been fun... im getting more and more comfortable with the cane everytime i use it... its a great weapon to train with. :)

Latest Discussions