Candidates Body Language Reveals Them

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As a closet expert on non-verbal communication and body language I found this article intriguing. According to the article both candidates would be "strong leaders" simply by the way they walk/talk and carry themselves.
Well... that's good to know.
Body Language: What McCain and Obama Reveal

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20080725/sc_livescience/bodylanguagewhatmccainandobamareveal

Jeremy Hsu Staff Writer LiveScience.com 2 hours, 45 minutes ago

Barack Obama spoke in front of 200,000 Germans in Berlin on Thursday at the start of a European tour, while John McCain talked to small business leaders at a fourth-generation German restaurant in Columbus, Ohio. But regardless of the audience, people undoubtedly paid as much attention to the nonverbal performance as they did to what each presidential candidate said.

Body movement analysts say that McCain represents stability in how he stands firmly and holds onto the sides of a podium. By contrast, Obama has a forward-looking gaze and strolls about in a relaxed fashion during public appearances. Yet both men share an introspective quality that could make them strong leaders, each in his way.
"They represent very different ways of relating," said Karen Bradley, a professor at the University of Maryland who has served as a media consultant for outlets such as MSNBC's "Hardball" and The Washington Post.
Bradley and similar body movement experts often study dance, acting or physical therapy, but a system called Laban Movement Analysis can also explain what many American voters register only subconsciously when watching presidential candidates talk and move.
"It's a tool for looking at human movement," said Karen Studd, a professor at George Mason University in Washington, D.C. and media consultant alongside Bradley.
Do you see any differences that might make you think otherwise?
What about our current president?

Attachments

• $1923.jpg
    $1923.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 136

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would hesitate to apply any deep meanings to body language, especially in the case of McCain. McCain's body has been deeply damaged by his experiences, and no doubt changes the way he holds himself in a manner independent of character.

That is, if you believe how someone holds themselves reveals their character! Generally, I do not.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't their body language be studied though by the people grooming them for election? I know every aspect of their grooming and behaviour is watched carefully and analysed so they can advise the candidates on how to present themselves to the best advantage especially so they look 'trustworthy and votable' on the screens. memories of people not voting for Richard Nixon because he has a five o'clock shadow and looked untrustworthy haunt the political advisors! Margaret Thatcher was asvised to lower the pitch of her vioce to sound more authorative. I doubt that anything is left to chance when it comes to getting your canditate voted in.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wouldn't their body language be studied though by the people grooming them for election? I know every aspect of their grooming and behavior is watched carefully and analyzed so they can advise the candidates on how to present themselves to the best advantage especially so they look 'trustworthy and votable' on the screens. memories of people not voting for Richard Nixon because he has a five o'clock shadow and looked untrustworthy haunt the political advisor's! Margaret Thatcher was advised to lower the pitch of her voice to sound more authoritative. I doubt that anything is left to chance when it comes to getting your candidate voted in.
Especially when there's a bonus involved, a guaranteed 4-8 year long job opportunity at a good salary (plus government pension at retirement)... sure, they'll bust their butts getting their man into office.

Latest Discussions