can you reccommend books?

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm interested in reading books about karate and the martial arts. Can anyone reccommend some good authors and books? Some good martial artists to read up on? Thanks in advance!:)

E

Elfan

What kind of books are you looking for? Biographies? history? technicle stuf? Some specific art or "everything"?

OP
rachel

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I study chinese kempo. So karate is mainly what I'm interested in. Biographies are good. Technical. I'm really interested in all aspects of it. i would enjoy reading biographies but books about techniques are good too.

T

TragicHero

I don't study Karate-Do either (well, I don't study it as my *martial art*, but I do read about it a lot.. <g>), but I *have* read all three of the books mentioned above, and they are *all* excellent.

I especially endorse "Zen In the Martla Arts", it should be required reading for all martial *artists* (as opposed to just *fighters* -- if you want your practice to overflow into your everyday life, you have to grasp the sort of ideas this book espouses, IMHO).

OP
rachel

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Zen in the martial arts sounds good. I'll pick a copy up. Thanks.:)

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think Mr. Conatser has a book called Secrets of Chinese Karate. I've personally not read it but Mr. Hatfield makes references to the book from time to time in class. Rachel, maybe you could ask or bring some life back to an old thread in the kenpo section.;)

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
SECRETS OF CHINESE KARATE is one of Ed Parker's early books. Very basic information presented. Many libraies have it.

One of the BEST Karate books I have seen from a technique point of view is called The Heart of Karate-Do by Shigeru Egami.
He is the current head of the Shotokan group I believe.

CLICK HERE FOR THE BOOK

Another book that every martial artist should read is

The Tao of Jeet Kune Do by some guy nobody ever heard of. I think his name is Bruce Lee.

CLICK HERE FOR THE BOOK

Thanks
jeremy bays

OP
rachel

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I just picked up my copy of "zen in the martial arts". I can't wait to read it. It looks good. Thanks.:)

Zujitsuka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Here are three of my favorites:

EFFORTLESS COMBAT THROWS, by Tim Cartmell

INDONESIAN FIGHTING FUNDAMENTALS, by Bob Orlando

THE MARTIAL ARTIST'S BOOK OF FIVE RINGS, by Stephen Kaufman

Enjoy!

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't recommend Kaufman's The Martial Artist's Book of Five Rings. When compared to other translations, some of the text just doesn't seem quite right and I have it on good authority that a lot of the translation is just plain wrong. I own the book, but have since lost it in my garage and I don't plan on wasting any time looking for it. If you are interested in Miyamoto Musashi's work, I'd recommend a more general translation (pretty much any but Kaufman's).

Cthulhu

J

Jill666

I also have Kaufmann, and felt like it was missing something.

There are many translations, some for businessmen (they actually say stuff like success on the jacket). *shudder*

Can someone recommend a good through translation?

J

Jill666

Originally posted by Technopunk
"Living the Martial Way" by Forrest Morgan

I thouroughly enjoyed this book, and read it through. You will get some odd looks on the subway :D or at work. Which is a nice bonus.

Oh, that reminds me, I am interested in our pagan friends' reviews of "the Wiccan Warrior" by Kerr Cuhulain. He's a cop, martial artist, wiccan, and examines the warrior archetype (as the jacket says).

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jill666
I also have Kaufmann, and felt like it was missing something.

There are many translations, some for businessmen (they actually say stuff like success on the jacket). *shudder*

Can someone recommend a good through translation?
Try Thomas Cleary's translation. It also contains a translation of Yagyu's Heihokadensho.:asian:

Trying to avoid life's potholes,
Randy Strausbaugh

J

Jill666

Funny that you replied now. Just the other day in Taijutsu class, my cousin paraphrased from the Five Rings to illustrate a point. When I asked him what translation he favored, he answered he read three different ones to get a fuller sense of what Mushashi was saying.

I thought this was an excellent approach- if you have the time to do it. I don't. :shrug:

Must be nice to be rich.

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I might be rich if I didn't spend so much on books.:)

Trying to avoid life's potholes,
Randy Strausbaugh

Latest Discussions