Can you cook

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well since this is the Bar and Grill and the Holiday weekend is coming up.

I myself love to cook and watch The Food channel.

I really enjoy making pastas. I love to add fresh herbs and tomatoes into the mix. I am really big on making Deli style sandwiches(since I worked in one) And of course I love to grill and since my wife is Japanese we make Sushi,Potato Onion Miso soup,and Okonomiyaki(Japanese pancake)

What do you like to cook or known for?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Before I meant my wife I was known for cooking Chinese and Japanese food but since I meant her I have never been brave enough to try.... well there was one time and her response was this is home style.... I was brave enough to cook Japanese couple of times for a friend of mine and his wife (who is from Japan) and they at said it was good and came back another time for more so I am guessing it was not to bad.

Other than that I make a mean scratch brownie, I don’t do too bad for breakfast stuff, including crepes and of course being a guy I can grill outside.

Have I done any recently?… no.... My mother-in-law is here from China and loves to cook and I ain’t no fool :D

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've been cooking for self and family since I was 15 and through the years received training (hands on and observation) from chefs ranging from 2 to 4 stars. Growing up I learned to love reading cookbooks and when I was out on my own I learned more about experimentation.
I've cooked for friends and family since, also for large groups of 100 or more. I'd love to be a camp chef for a small hunting party someday just for the sake of trying it out.
My specialty is Italian dishes and I've dabbled in Chinese, Mexican and good-ole fashioned American steaks and other grilled delights. I'm not an expert but can hold my own in the kitchen.
My weakest dishes would have to be fish and seafood. I'd really like to be able to be more skilled with that culinary delight as I'm a seafood lover.
... mebbe I ought to work a summer at Red Lobster hmm...

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Me and the Food Network is on first name basis, also living in Texas means we can BBQ so yes I can grill better than cooking.

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Real Reubens. The kind you need to eat over a plate with a stack of napkins. You'll need a nap afterwards and your heart hates you.
Rye bread, fresh, crusty and unsliced. This needs to be cut so each slice is about 1 1/4 " thick. Toast lightly. then butter, REAL Butter, both sides and grill till golden brown.
Onion, 1 Spanish. Cut into large wedges and toss into pan of hot butter till just starting to clarify.
Montreal Smoked Meat or Pastrami about 400 grams. Toss into hot frying pan and grill till just starting to brown, then add butter and onion mixture. Toss together until everything is a lovely golden butter brown.
Sauerkraut, winetype. How much you use will depend on who you are serving. I use about 3/4 cup wet per sandwich. Drain very very well. Press between two bowls to remove liquid. In the fat that remains from browning the meat and onions, now brown the sauerkraut, but take care not to dry it out too much.
Now mix 1/4 cup full fat Mayo, 1/4 cup Russian dressing, 1/4 cup Thousand Island Dressing. This is the Dressing mix.
Build the sandwich.
On a grill sheet place bread, meat/onion mix, add horseradish pile on sauerkraut, ladle on sauce, add shredded Swiss cheese, top off with bread, insert toothpicks or whatever you think will hold this monster together and grill under element until cheese is running.
Lori M

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I LOVE to cook. My mother grew up on a farm and learned how to put otgether a big spread when folks came buy. She passed her knowledge on to me. I'm a lucky guy. Love the food network. Alton Brown is one of my patron kitchen saints.

Peace,
Erik

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I make a homemade spaghetti sauce and meatballs that are to die for, just ask Father Greek and Master Eric..The recipe is my Grandmas that she brought from Sicily..

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
i love to cook - started at an early age helped along by my grandmothers and mom. Went to school and worked up and down the East coast from Nantucket down through to Houston, TX. Finally figured out that working noon to midnight Tues - Sun and all major holidays wasn't conducive to married life so I tried institutional cooking but there was no fun in that. Gave it up as a profession 16 years ago but love to cook for friends and family. Northern Italian is my favorite (homemade cannelloni noodles stuffed with spinach, cheeses. roasted garlic and diced pancetta topped with cream and 4 cheeses) or salmon with a mushroom, brandy and heavy cream reduction topped with julienne cut zucchini and carrots wrapped and cooked in buttered parchment paper.

Grilling has been my new kick for the last couple of years... fun to find out what can/ can't be cooked on the grill.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just started cooking about a year and half ago and love it! I am pretty good too (not great, but good). I can follow a recipe and make it taste like it is supposed to.
My wife and kids love my spaghetti and I make kick-butt boiled peanutes, which take about 14 hours in the crock pot/slow cooker.
Now, my wife and I watch a few different shows on Food Network together.

AoG

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can follow a recipe, and even improvise a lot of things.

Cooking is a necessary skill -- especially if you live alone. I think I started to learn to cook when I was like 10, maybe? I know by the time I was in 7th or 8th grade, my brothers and I were taking turns cooking a couple of nights out of the week.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am famous for my buttermilk pancakes, oatmeal cookies, chocolate chip cookies, brownies and pumpkin bread.

My dh is famous for his ability to cook any and every kind of meat: grilled, stir fried, roasted. He is especially good at oven grilled shrimp and hot wings.

Between the two of us, we eat very well:).

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well personally, I'm a baker, with homemade (100% from scratch) chocolate cake being a family favorite, along with "M&M's jumbles" cookies being right up there around Christmas time. Although, I am known to whip up a tasty white chicken chilli in the winter time. With the chilli, I sometimes substitute the chicken for turkey, when there's leftovers from Thanksgiving.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All I am going to say is that my wife says I am known for making a mess and expecting her to clean it up. I think that is strictly a matter of opinion as I do clean up occasionally.
I love to cook but the kitchen is her domain and I enter there with great care and caution

OP
J

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Xue-That is great your wife thinks your cooking is good. Mine thinks I cook well too. Nothing like the Mother or Mother-in-law make a meal. I think they use some sort of magic lol.

Macaver-I find in cooking fish the simpler you keep it the better it taste. I guess that can be said about most meats.

Arnisador-Oh boy not even boil water!!

Grendel-Great recipe!!

Drac-That really cool. Our family had a recipe but noone recalls how to make it that is sad.

Fireman-Nothern Italian food is great!! The meals you listen sound like great combos!!

Armor of god-The peanuts sound really good I can imgaine the cooking time really bringing out the flavors.

Mbuzzy-That is great hot or cold. My mother married into an italian family and they made all their dishes from scratch their signature was lasange.

Jks-I started cooking about the same time. Real simple things like sandwiches,and grilled cheese and pancakes and eggs under adult supervision till I was about 10 or so.

Girlbug-Being able to cook meat well is a proud skill which means you will never be hungy

Tkdgirl-I like that very comfort food

Tshadow-My wife says the same thing!!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I learned to cook when I was about 10; my father sprained his ankle, and sat at the kitchen table, while talking me through cleaning and spicing a chicken, making vegetables, and chopping salad. I can follow recipes, but once I've used a recipe once, I start changing things around based on what sounds good or what I'm out of - it drives my mother nuts that I can toss stuff into a crock pot and come up with edible food; her mother could do it too, but my mother thinks she has to use recipes.

astrobiologist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My girlfriend and I are celebrating our birthdays today!

Every year for my birthday, my mother has us down and she makes a broccoli lasagna with meat and non-ricotta cheeses for me. Also, since I was very young, my mother has made me a birthday carrot cake. Gotsta love the momster :)

As far as my cooking is concerned, I love stir frying with my wok. Anything from noodles, to broth soups, to fried rice, to vegetables and meats, and beyond...

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I spent a good part of my G.I. Bill going to culinary school for a few semesters. It was enough time to get me the skills I wanted, but also taught me I love to cook at home, but not professionally.

Lately in this heat I've been mainly grillying BBQing and doing stir fries.

Latest Discussions