Can You Be An Expert?

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's the main reason I say real street experience isn't needed. There is no way to verify it so why does it matter. I follow the stolen valor site on Facebook. Every day they post another guy that's claiming spec ops and all this experience and they have none. So teach me in class show me what to do and spare me the one time in band camp stories

A DD214 can clear up/verify that quite quick...

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Physically demonstrate to the class in a class setting yes. Tell a war story about this one time in a bar fight no its not needed and means nothing
You keep bringing up the "war story" thing, but unless I missed something, you're the only one in this entire mega-thread who's talking about sitting around telling war stories.

I see it like a house. Most people never really see the foundation of a house. But you sure find out, usually at the worst possible moment, when the foundation is unstable.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A DD214 can clear up/verify that quite quick...

Yeah but when your being taught a class do you really ask for it? And in this context of self defense there is no Dd214 for bar fights and defensive use of your art.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You keep bringing up the "war story" thing, but unless I missed something, you're the only one in this entire mega-thread who's talking about sitting around telling war stories.

I see it like a house. Most people never really see the foundation of a house. But you sure find out, usually at the worst possible moment, when the foundation is unstable.
You keep harping on knowing that the expert has walked the talk. How else will you know unless they tell you?

Dmar

White Belt
Reaction score
Only an absolute moron would think a person could become an expert in anything other than hypothetical badassery without any real world experience! C.nida and I routinely defend ourselves and others from violent psychotics and people under the influence of mind altering substances for a living. Experts? Maybe, maybe not. A hell of a lot closer than most of you who obviously have become experts @ posting on internet forums, but then again when it comes to that you definitely have us beat on experience.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Only an absolute moron would think a person could become an expert in anything other than hypothetical badassery without any real world experience! C.nida and I routinely defend ourselves and others from violent psychotics and people under the influence of mind altering substances for a living. Experts? Maybe, maybe not. A hell of a lot closer than most of you who obviously have become experts @ posting on internet forums, but then again when it comes to that you definitely have us beat on experience.

Rambo? Is that you? How about you drop by the intro thread and say hi and tell us more about yourself

Last edited:

Dmar

White Belt
Reaction score
I could care less what your opinion is of me. You have told us all about yourself and what you do so I dont really understand what point your trying to make with that comment. Whatever the point is, it doesn't change the FACT a person cannot be an expert @ something they have never done. Functional if they r Lucky maybe. Expert not possible.

Last edited:

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I could care less what your opinion is of me. You have told us all about yourself and what you do so I dont really understand what point your trying to make with that comment. Whatever the point is, it doesn't change the FACT a person cannot be an expert @ something they have never done. Functional if they r Lucky maybe. Expert not possible.
OK Rambo but your wrong

Dmar

White Belt
Reaction score
OK Rambo but your wrong

What world are you living in? Because in reality when u refer to expertise it implies a good deal of actual experience. Until you've done something for real and demonstrated repeatable skill it isn't possible to claim the title of expert. You may learn how to do something without doing something but a person can't master it without experience. To give an example take practicing air kenpo and then practicing on a resisting opponent. World of difference right? The real thing will be just every bit as different from your pressure test in the dojo. To say the least. In all your vast experience don't you find that to be true? (Since yours is the only experience you like talking about) Or did your formal martial arts/DT training prepare you for all the variables you have encountered in your daily life/line of duty? If not how important were the lessons learned from said variables provided by experience?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What world are you living in? Because in reality when u refer to expertise it implies a good deal of actual experience. Until you've done something for real and demonstrated repeatable skill it isn't possible to claim the title of expert. You may learn how to do something without doing something but a person can't master it without experience. To give an example take practicing air kenpo and then practicing on a resisting opponent. World of difference right? The real thing will be just every bit as different from your pressure test in the dojo. To say the least. In all your vast experience don't you find that to be true? (Since yours is the only experience you like talking about) Or did your formal martial arts/DT training prepare you for all the variables you have encountered in your daily life/line of duty? If not how important were the lessons learned from said variables provided by experience?

Answer a simple question. Can you be an expert in rape prevention tactics if you have never been raped?

Answer is yes there are experts that teach woman all over the country that have never had to fight off a rapist. So like I said your wrong

Dmar

White Belt
Reaction score
They may not have been raped but most of them have used the defensive tactics they are teaching. Your example is stupid in every sense of the word. A good portion of what is taught by people who have not been in real defensive situation will get a woman hurt an maybe killed. If you are involved in law enforcement you know dang good and well a lot of what gets taught is junk and its your type of mind set that allows it! Do you remember in the late 80's when it was popular for said experts to teach women that it was good tactic to go to the ground, lay flat on their back and kick @ their attacker because " a woman is stronger in her lower body"? How many rapes do you think that prevented? Those are your type of experts and you continue to prove yourself wrong. Anyone can claim to be an expert but it takes experience to actually become one.

Dmar

White Belt
Reaction score
I
Answer a simple question. Can you be an expert in rape prevention tactics if you have never been raped?

Answer is yes there are experts that teach woman all over the country that have never had to fight off a rapist. So like I said your wrong

I can't get over this stupidity of this comment. Now you are trying to sub divide self defense?! Really? Rape defense, mugging defense, assault defense. To be an expert in any of it you need experience defending yourself!

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
They may not have been raped but most of them have used the defensive tactics they are teaching
Where ? How do you know? Did you see it or just another war stories u know kinda like how you started your first post what was it you said you daily defend yourself against mind altered zombies or some nonsense like that.
. Your example is stupid in every sense of the word. A good portion of what is taught by people who have not been in real defensive situation will get a woman hurt an maybe killed.
No actually I'm talking about real legit experts in the field see I have access to some of the top law enforcement trainers and self defense trainers in the country due to my job and I'm not as busy as you fighting off hords of mind altered thugs so I get to travel to attend training with them.
If you are involved in law enforcement you know dang good and well a lot of what gets taught is junk and its your type of mind set that allows it!
Sure do and I also know there is a lot of legit stuff out there as well. And the difference between the two has nothing to do with the teacher having slapped an arm bar on some punk at a bar fight or not. It comes down to case study and research seeing what works and what doesn't.
Do you remember in the late 80's when it was popular for said experts to teach women that it was good tactic to go to the ground, lay flat on their back and kick @ their attacker because " a woman is stronger in her lower body"? How many rapes do you think that prevented?
Naa I was in school in the 80s I didn't concern myself with rape prevention back then.
Those are your type of experts and you continue to prove yourself wrong. Anyone can claim to be an expert but it takes experience to actually become one.
You have no idea what my type of expert is. And again your wrong and repeating it over and over wont change that

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I

I can't get over this stupidity of this comment. Now you are trying to sub divide self defense?! Really? Rape defense, mugging defense, assault defense. To be an expert in any of it you need experience defending yourself!
Well yes you do need to subdivide self defense. It's different for everyone. I for example have no need to learn rape prevention because I'm a big ugly dude not too may folks are out to rape me. I as a police officer have different self defense needs then you as a zombie hunter. A solider in the battle field has different self defense needs then a college female on campus who has different needs then a father at the mall with his kids or a woman at the groceries store.

Dmar

White Belt
Reaction score
You don't even have the good sense to admit it was a bad example ? Instead you try to make it seem valid. Ok yes some people's needs are different but the skills to be successful at self defense are the same! Can you be a expert bronc rider if you have never been rode? Yes if you have experience and success @ riding broncs! That's what your example is like.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You don't even have the good sense to admit it was a bad example ? Instead you try to make it seem valid. Ok yes some people's needs are different but the skills to be successful at self defense are the same! Can you be a expert bronc rider if you have never been rode? Yes if you have experience and success @ riding broncs! That's what your example is like.
So you say its a bad example and then say I'm right. OK then. LOL. Your not very good at this but keep trying.

How's this one then. Can Someone be a defensive hand gun instructor if they have never shot a real person. Because remember you said real life is way different then the dojo. Well the range and paper targets are the dojo for shooters and so real life would be so much harder. So can you be an expert in handgun self defense if you never shot anyone?

On the reverse since I actually have shot someone in real life am I an expert now? Or is my shift partner even more of an expert because he has shot 2 people so he must be a double expert.

Dmar

White Belt
Reaction score
Your imagination, no matter how vivid and detailed it may be, is not the same as real life.

Visualization is a terrific training tool. However, it is specifically to assist with the transfer of training from comprehension to application. It does not REPLACE application. Only by applying skills can one progress beyond this stage of learning.

And there are stages beyond application. Competence is application. Expertise is a level of understanding beyond simple competence.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So you say its a bad example and then say I'm right. OK then. LOL. Your not very good at this but keep trying.

How's this one then. Can Someone be a defensive hand gun instructor if they have never shot a real person. Because remember you said real life is way different then the dojo. Well the range and paper targets are the dojo for shooters and so real life would be so much harder. So can you be an expert in handgun self defense if you never shot anyone?

On the reverse since I actually have shot someone in real life am I an expert now? Or is my shift partner even more of an expert because he has shot 2 people so he must be a double expert.

I think the only thing your an expert at is being a dumba**. Did you miss the part where I said the skills were the same? One vehicle takes you many places.I said from the beginning that training can make functional but not an expert. On the firing range you can learn the tactics but you will not become an expert gunfighter there. For the record in my opinion a it takes doing something more than once or twice to be an expert so you and your partner are out of luck there too. And you are right I am not as good at posting on here as you are, you totally have me beat @ the hypothetical badassery. Who's telling war stories again?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think the only thing your an expert at is being a dumba**. Did you miss the part where I said the skills were the same? One vehicle takes you many places.I said from the beginning that training can make functional but not an expert. On the firing range you can learn the tactics but you will not become an expert gunfighter there. For the record in my opinion a it takes doing something more than once or twice to be an expert so you and your partner are out of luck there too. And you are right I am not as good at posting on here as you are, you totally have me beat @ the hypothetical badassery. Who's telling war stories again?

Lol ok Rambo. You were doing better until Rambo came back. Ok kid your most bad assed of all the internets well you and chuck norris but mostly you. I thought you were here to discuss a topic not demand we agree with you or else. Have fun this is a nice place lots of real live experts in lots of different fields. Guys with decades of Martial Arts, military, and law enforcemnt. Sadly you come here acting like a thug you won't be here long enough to learn anything. See ya Rambo it's nap time for me.

Last edited:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please keep the conversation polite and respectful.

jks9199
Asst. Administrator

Dmar

White Belt
Reaction score
E
Lol ok Rambo. You were doing better until Rambo came back. Ok kid your most bad assed of all the internets well you and chuck norris but mostly you. I thought you were here to discuss a topic not demand we agree with you or else. Have fun this is a nice place lots of real live experts in lots of different fields. Guys with decades of Martial Arts, military, and law enforcemnt. Sadly you come here acting like a thug you won't be here long enough to learn anything. See ya Rambo it's nap time for me.

Your the only one who has been telling war stories. I have purposely avoided referring to any of my experience or occupation since the my opening post. There is some really knowledgeable people here unfortunately there are a lot of people on here with inflated egos too. I may be around longer than you think I will heed admins warning and unlike you I understand its the guys with decades of experience are the ones to listen to. Since you already said you were in school in the 80s your definitely not in that category Lucky.

Latest Discussions