can anyone surpass bruce lee in jkd?

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose when the student becomes the instructor and is still a student, then probably not. That would be evolution. Human nature however always finds a way. Nothing is impervious, just adaptable.

BeeBrian

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm not trying to be disrespectful but it seems like in jkd nobody can ever surpass bruce Lee?

I'm probably gonna get some hate for this but...

Anyone can surpass Bruce Lee. In fact, Mike Tyson already did it. Just take a look at a side by side comparison between their bag-work training vids. Mike had way better technique. Royce Gracie and practically any strong Judoka can beat Bruce Lee...

He's a myth, not a legend.

Bruce's greatness lies in the fact that he created a martial art where technically all striking arts fall under it.

Although there's one thing that I will not discredit Bruce Lee for: Talent and ingenuity. For a guy who had no background in strength sports, he intuitively knew the importance of strength in martial arts. For a guy who had no black belt in Karate, he beat Karatekas with ease. I'm sure that if MMA was big in his time, he would've made great money as a competitor and trainer. Champion material, yes. Greatest martial artist of all time with superhuman powers? HELL NO!!!!!!!

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Bruce's greatness lies in the fact that he created a martial art where technically all striking arts fall under it.

Although there's one thing that I will not discredit Bruce Lee for: Talent and ingenuity. For a guy who had no background in strength sports, he intuitively knew the importance of strength in martial arts. For a guy who had no black belt in Karate, he beat Karatekas with ease. I'm sure that if MMA was big in his time, he would've made great money as a competitor and trainer. Champion material, yes. Greatest martial artist of all time with superhuman powers? HELL NO!!!!!!!

Well he did one other thing that is vital for becoming a legend, he died young at the height of his popularity.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You can't. It's impossible. He created it. And died with the trueness. BUT he passed it on through his writing and you CAN be great at it. You may never master it. What many people don't realize is that Jkd is a STEPPING STONE. Remember that. You can't surpass him cause he created it.

Honestly, this is what is wrong with the mindset in a lot of martial arts schools. By that reasoning the style is essentially dead.

If Bruce created it so no one can improve on Bruce there is a problem. Obviously had Bruce lived longer he would have improved, so there is plenty of room for improvement. But styles need to evolve and live, otherwise they die.

Lets suppose Bruce Lee's best student could get 90% of Bruce Lees Knowledge. His best student 90% of his, and that guys best student 90% of that. With nothing new coming in your style dies.

Instead it should be looked at as a stepping stone, Bruce Lee did all this, so we can build on that. Then the next generation can build further on that.

The idea of no one can improve is essentially what created the dark ages in science. Everything went backwards because knowledge couldn't be challenged and improved upon, only learnt from what was already there.

I understand somewhat when that mentality is applied to things like Koryu systems and such, as an attempt to preserve a piece of history. But applied to JKD it makes no sense as that is the sort of thinking that Bruce Lee argued against and really lead to him making a name for himself in the martial arts world.

Latest Discussions