Can anyone recommend a good lock?

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I love my new apartment and neighborhood. My complex is quiet, on the edge of town, and borders a nature preserve on two sides. The worst crime that happens out here are the occasional car break-in and noisy parties on game days, but old habits die hard after living in a crack hood for six years.

I have a simple deadlock on a 2nd story walkup with an outdoor entrance. Purely in the interest of making myself feel more comfortable, I've decided to add a second lock. I rent the place so I don't want to drill any extra holes for another deadbolt, but some variation on a chain lock would be nice. Can anyone offer some suggestions?

Edit: I should probably also mention that there's a 2.5" molding around the door frame. That restricts my choice a little bit.

Last edited:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Talk to your landlord before you do anything. First, they may do it for you -- for free or minimal cost. Second, they may nix it for a variety of reasons. (It might be against fire code, for example.)

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey Flea,
Most of those chain locks are relatively easy to defeat and as noted above as a renter there may be restrictions on what modifications you can do (although in my opinion it is often easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission)

The better kind of locks are those that brace on to the floor.

There are several locks that are marketed to people that travel and stay in hotel rooms, these locks are temporary, relatively inexpensive and at least as effective as most of the chain locks.

Your google fu is much stronger than mine so you should be able to search out and read up on these type of hotel traveler locks

Good luck
Brian

OP
Flea

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

It happened several times in my last neighborhood that my dog would suddenly go apoplectic and I'd peer out my kitchen window to find some yutz messing with my lock, trying to get in. And of course, completely undeterred by the deafening ARFARFARF on the other side. I found it amusing in my gallows sort of way that both my outer and main doors were almost completely glass, meaning that my untold millions :rolleyes: were easily accessible to anyone with a big rock or a fast-moving boot. Thankfully that never dawned on any of them.

So yes, I agree that locks are mostly a psychological barrier. In objective terms my best asset is that fact that it's a safe area, and the common sense I use every day. My goal here is simply to turn that to my advantage by making myself feel more secure. I'm shopping for a binky. I'm okay with that.

Some time this week I plan to visit the local locksmith and see what kind of magic they can work. I'm thinking a door brace would do it - it's simple, it's inaccessible to the outside, and it's big and clunky and highly visible which will be more convincing to me. Some of them come equipped with alarms too, although that might become an issue with my curious dog.

I've never shopped for locks before, I've always just gone with whatever was already attached to the door. It's been a fun education in what's out there.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Flea,
Most of those chain locks are relatively easy to defeat and as noted above as a renter there may be restrictions on what modifications you can do (although in my opinion it is often easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission)

The better kind of locks are those that brace on to the floor.

There are several locks that are marketed to people that travel and stay in hotel rooms, these locks are temporary, relatively inexpensive and at least as effective as most of the chain locks.

Your google fu is much stronger than mine so you should be able to search out and read up on these type of hotel traveler locks

Good luck
Brian
Great advice. Those locks can actually be impressively effective, too. I've almost torn holes through the door trying to dislodge those things...

Latest Discussions