Came to a realization

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Brandon, I'm right there with you brother. 6' and 230 right now....still considered obese based on BMI. But carryign between 19 and 22% bodyfat, more like overweight. Acccording to BMI I too should be 175. I haven't been that since well before I reached adulthood. Thwe skinniest I ever got doing a VERY carb-restricted diet (taht I couldn't maintain long-term) was 211. I'm guessing 220 would be great, but maybe aroubnd 200 would be best for me. Not much less.

Hopefully your Dr. and Nutritionist will give you sound advice and help you set realistic and attainable goals.

Peace,
Erik

rchurch

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I agree with all the post about watching what you eat and how much you eat. That is simply eating healthy. I also agree with the posts about calorie intake. Very basically, calories are what fuel your body. Simply put, there are 3,500 calories in one pound. Take in 3,500 calories more than you burn and you gain a pound. Lose 3,500 calories, through either limiting intake or burning them through exercise, and you lose a pound. This is usually accomplished by both diet and exercise. Break it down by the day, and it comes to 500 calories per day. (500 x 7 days in 1 week = 3,500 calories = 1 pound per week). Cut out the extras. For example most colas (CocaCola for example) are 150 calories. Cut out three cokes per day, and your at 450 calories. Almost the goal of 500 calories per day. Add in some exercise, such as walking a little further than normal, taking the stairs at work, etc, and you've hit 500 calories gone for the day. Do this every day and with very little effort you're losing a pound every week. Add a few more exercises, cut a few more calories and you can lose 2 or 3 punds per week. I wouldn't go for much more than that for health reasons. The first few weeks you might lose more per week but then it will level off.

You didn't gain that weight overnight, you won't lose it overnight. Slow and steady is healthier and easier to stick with. And I also agree with the posts that talk about underlying reasons for overeating. I, for one, am a stress eater, and unfortunately have a somewhat stressful job. Not a good combination. Good luck in your endeavour, and keep us informed of your progress!

ynnad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I actually did one of those BMI things a few minutes ago, and it said that my target weight should be 175lbs, and I'm severely overweight.

Obviously, you have to take the BMI with a huge grain of salt...if I dropped down to 175lbs, I would be very unhealthy. Honestly, I don't know what my exact target weight should be yet (I'm still going through these websites listed...thanks all!!) but I can tell you that I'm sure I don't need to weigh less than 220 lbs. I'm built to be a big guy...I have a big frame, and, even though I know it's really played out...I really do have big bones.

I'm built to be a big guy, and I'm fine with that...but there's a difference between being a big statured guy and being a big statured guy with too much body fat, which is where I am now.

So, I have a lot of info to go through, and I have some work to do, but I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to get rid of the body fat that I need to drop.

Thanks everyone again for the posts and information...and keep the info coming...you can never have too much knowledge!!

You are correct, the issue is not so much how much one weighs as much as it is excess fat. Forgetting about weight, a simple visual indicator can be observed in the physiology of the human body. The gut should not stick out more than the chest. If it does, then one has too much excess fat. This is the case for all humans regardless of whether they are "big-boned" or not. That is unless someone wants to claim to be "big-intestined." :shrug:

I look forward to hearing how your journey goes. Good Luck.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I got 3 cracked ribs sparring in '07 (at different times, but basically one after the other) because I was too big, out of shape, and old. I was 237? or something like that on Christmas morning '07, and though I don't know how much I'm sure I gained some weight that day!
So, I got tired of the broken bones and started to cut back on the fried stuff (burgers mostly), and do situps every day. Now, a year later, I was 195 this morning. My wife is convinced that I look younger than when we met back in '86. I'm two weeks shy of 47 and am nearly fast enough now to hang with the 18 year olds at practice. Getting the weight off really made me feel good too, it was nice to toss out some fat jeans and get new ones. I think if you feel like taking some weight off, you should dive right in and go for it. It's far easier with diet and excercise than it is with either by itself, and you will love seeing the weight disappear a little at a time day by day :)

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have had many of the same issues. Only with joints not weight. However, I will say this.......since I had been very competitive at one time this is a great rule to follow. I was in Judo and Wrestling so wt. class was a big deal for me.

buy enough tupperware or ziploc container to make six small meals a day. Drink a lot of water, eat a lot of vegetables like corn and spinach. Red meat is your friend as long as you buy and prepare it for yourself. Remember as your caloric count spreads over a period of six meals of nutrition so your body weight and composition will change for the better. You will have to pick up the pace of cardio and calestenics you do at home so your bodies skin will retract as you lighten up.

It works, plus the more pure muscle and less body fat index the fast your metabolism. The faster your metabolism the less body fat index you will have. The better your nutrition the better your transformation of body fat index into actual muscle.

Good luck man,

davedaylight

White Belt
Reaction score
August 2007 I weighed 325 lbs at 5'11" and had a 46-48 waist line, then I started taking martial arts again (only form of exercise I've ever enjoyed) and started doing weightwatchers online. For me the big problem was portion control, I'd just eat too much--and of course it was often the wrong stuff. I would train 2-3 times a week, and would stick with the program 6 out of 7 days (I'd go to my grandmothers once a week and it was next to impossible to follow the program that day, lol). After about 6 months I had lost almost 50 lbs and didn't think I needed weightwatchers anymore.

October of this year I hit 245 lbs and I'm down to a 40-42 waist, I still want to lose about another 50 lbs but I think that'll wait till after the new year, lol. Currently I'm training 4-5 days a week and my weight is holding steady around 245 lbs--because I haven't been watching what I eat the past couple months. Just keep training hard and find a healthy diet program that works for you and stick with it, you'll see results.

Dao

Green Belt
Reaction score
Eat breakfast, best to eat within one hour of waking up. People who don't eat breakfast tend to eat more during other meals. Eat smaller meals 5 to 6 times a day ( 2 to 2 1/2 between meals).
Drink only water, it helps you release toxins.
Do food rotation diet it is more healthy. Never eat the same food more than 2 days straight.
Always eat fruit alone, I suggest you eat a high carb fruit before class since you will burn off the sugar anyways. Eat some kind of protein after class, best if it not meat based. Nuts and seeds are best.
Stay away from milk and cheese, they are high in fat.
Fish oil (Carlson fish oil is the best), flax oil ( never heat it and remember not to heat the oil, buy only amount you can consume within a month since it can go bad pretty quick, also store in fridge.
Coconut oil may be good for you providing you're not allergic to it, it can help you lose weight, it won't help that much but every lb helps!
Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. You can not get fat eating vegetables.
Learn qi gong it can help you lose weight, best when you practice daily. google "falun gong" and you will find free instructions how to do the exercise.

OP
B

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
August 2007 I weighed 325 lbs at 5'11" and had a 46-48 waist line, then I started taking martial arts again (only form of exercise I've ever enjoyed) and started doing weightwatchers online. For me the big problem was portion control, I'd just eat too much--and of course it was often the wrong stuff. I would train 2-3 times a week, and would stick with the program 6 out of 7 days (I'd go to my grandmothers once a week and it was next to impossible to follow the program that day, lol). After about 6 months I had lost almost 50 lbs and didn't think I needed weightwatchers anymore.

October of this year I hit 245 lbs and I'm down to a 40-42 waist, I still want to lose about another 50 lbs but I think that'll wait till after the new year, lol. Currently I'm training 4-5 days a week and my weight is holding steady around 245 lbs--because I haven't been watching what I eat the past couple months. Just keep training hard and find a healthy diet program that works for you and stick with it, you'll see results.

This is almost the exact same boat I'm in...I'm only taller than you by 2", but other than that, what you're saying is identical to where I'm at right now. I started earlier today eating right, and I'm continuing it tonight by cooking my own chicken stir fry. I went to class, so I'm ok in the exercise department.

But what you're saying about your size and the shape you're in is exactly where I'm at right now, and it gives me hope that you were able to drop down.

Again, thanks to all who have posted, and keep them coming!! It really helps to know others are out there like me...and corny as that sounds.

RobertS

White Belt
Reaction score
My advice: lift weights. Cardio exercise like tae kwon do burns off some of the calories you eat but building muscle increases your metabolism and your body will burn more calories just providing for your muscles. Simply put, building muscle "ups the rent" on your body. If you eat the same amount of food you always do you will still lose weight. So if you lift weights and eat a little healthier your body is going to change.

Personally, doing tae kwon do for years I was in decent shape but flabby and just a few months of regular lifting with little change to my diet made me lose several percent of body fat.

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'd like to second some of the advise given. "Eat slowly" - I read to chew each bite 20 times and this works. It gives your brain time to get the message that you are getting full before you over eat. "Lift weights" - This not only ramps up your metabolism but also keeps you from losing muscle while you lose fat. "Eat breakfast" - people skipping breakfast becoming overweight is a very well documented fact. "Cut out soda" - Recent studies show that people who consume soft drinks, sweetened or unsweetened are more prone to metabolic syndrome.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd like to second some of the advise given. "Eat slowly" - I read to chew each bite 20 times and this works. It gives your brain time to get the message that you are getting full before you over eat. "Lift weights" - This not only ramps up your metabolism but also keeps you from losing muscle while you lose fat. "Eat breakfast" - people skipping breakfast becoming overweight is a very well documented fact. "Cut out soda" - Recent studies show that people who consume soft drinks, sweetened or unsweetened are more prone to metabolic syndrome.
Whatever metabolic syndrome is. (The studies don't seem all that certain on the subject.) They say that artificial sweetener has a relationship, but they don't know what it is.

When I stopped drinking Coke, I jumped over to Coke Zero. I was hungrier, but I just assumed that I was used to all those extra calories per day so I ignored it. After a week or so, that extra hunger feeling faded. IMO diet drink's effects on hunger have been greatly overstated.

Latest Discussions