Cambodgian Stage

OP
K

Khmo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes I wish 1 good development…
Only critical point (for me) is that the Parisien Club which is to go to the country names " Boxing Thai"…. :(
Same if their sensitivity goes to the Boxing Khmer ! 1 large advanced is to put on its door: KHMER BOXING and not Thai Boxing ! lol ! But that is right 1 remark perso… When I gave run my Association named KHMER BOXING CLUB even if people knew the system at all… 17 years ago I wished to propose to the Khmer not the Thai (even if I knew the Thai). That is also 1 history of felt perso… of sensitivity… of belief. To create 1 Khmer Club is not carrying financially. Few people are attracted, little people knew… Boxing Thai on the door makes come + people to the club ! Many points are has to see ! Being indebted to the Khmer it was logical for me to represent this system ! But there was no shower, of warm water, heating has my Club. The conditions were difficult as for me when I was with the country ! And Europeans do not like that !
To work under 40° in summer and to work have 2° in winter was not 1 good point… People wished beautiful conveniences… of pretty shower….Etc ! They would have been unable to hold 3 days in Cambodge in 80'-90' !
4 years after I closed my Club…. On tens of practitioners who only came 4 held the shock. The mentality of the country is important. To want to give people a hard work as there exists in Cambodge can be 1 fatal error ! As I do not run after the Dollars I closed my Club. I did not wish to teach in Dojo high Tec… If people do not arrive these hard conditions it has to exceed will be never ready has to understand or fight effectively in 1 Khmer spirit. I do not have a regret, I do not retrogress but to diffuse 1 difficult art in a modern country with mentalities comfortable that is difficult. To go directly to Kampuchea east 1 good way of knowing if one has adze of mental ! I speak about the life in shift and not to return every evening in his Hotel **** stars.
I wish just that many people be 1 lively interest for martial arts Khmer !
my experiment is personal, that is not 1 truth for all…
everyone is different.

has soon ;)
respect has all !

blackdiamondcobra

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In the early years when I first trained in the cambodian systems, nobody heard of it, and the teacher could find no students, muay thai also wasnt around, so he went to a traditional school and earned a black belt so he could teach that commercially then on the side continue with the cambodian stuff. So I can see people using other systems to draw people in initially until there is more awareness of the arts for it to sustain itself in a commercial environment. Luckily here in the US, the schools and teachers now dont have to resort to that and seem to be doing well or at least surviving.

tenzen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i practice kun khmer and our school is not doing so bad. we have a descent amount of students. also we are on the second floor of an indoor soccer stadium so that helps us get more exposure. i am new to the se asian arts but i am really enjoying them, i like to watch the fights it keeps me on the edge of my seat the whole time.
it would be great to see the cambodian arts get out to the public more, then they could afford better conditions for their fighters and perhaps have many world title holders. i feel like the techniques are solid enough only the fighters health must be better. from what i am told they do not get good food and the conditions are worse than in some of the smaller gyms in thailand.

OP
K

Khmo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Cool that you practise the KHMER ;))
Congratulations ;)

That pleases to me when I hear that !!!!!

I announced just that in Cambodge the boxers practise to eat, to live, make transfers their family. The material conditions pass AFTER….
And that is not the case in much country. Many professors ever went to Cambodge…. Sometimes that is right of the Boxing Thai and at all of the Khmer ! When a confidential art leaves its country: often it loses its true values. That is all…. No the idea in me to wound the other practitioners verbally ! No the idea in me to force it has to be justified ! LOL..

That is an art of the combat…. 1 ART ! How for painting or the literature ! When a painter wants to progress: he will go in the Museums, with the Exposure, to meet a Master, etc…. That is identical with Arts of Combat ! There is 1 day or it is necessary to go in the country of birth of the Art… to include truly how that occurs ! I know Profs which has write Boxe Khmer on their door without knowing 1 only Khmer technique ..... That is disturbing ..... Much explains how to fight in Khmer without never to have fought with the country of birth…. Much gives courses against Dollars .....

What I want to say: for really learning it is better to go to the country and to understand the things, to fight on the spot ! Technically a Moderne teacher will be enough but not mentally !

Good WE has ALL…
respect.

Fede

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi Khmo,

that is ridiculous but true, it seems they want to please their ego and their wallet! Forget about teaching correctly and being true to students!

you make an important point, it's not only the fighting, but also what is behind. Knowing where it comes from, who did what and understand a bit of the country and culture of the system you want to learn naturally go together. That's what I think.

I agree, if you learn in these countries, you usually learn much more than techniques. And can bring back many positive things and teach, if this is your goal.
It is not always easy to go to Cambodia, Thailand, Burma....you have to sacrifice something to make space for a trip there. But if you really want it, in time you can make it!

destructautomaton

Green Belt
Reaction score
It seems at least there is a positive start to the cambodian martial arts spreading outside of maybe one style that is in question I guess its always better to go to the actual country to learn these arts but outside of that hopefully there will be some further info and more in depth teaching opening up soon.

blackdiamondcobra

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I actually feel hopeful that the situation with the different khmer/cambodian arts will take a positive course in its growth within cambodia and also in europe and the usa. There are strong cambodian communities in the usa and australia and they seem to work together pretty well. The australians have organized major competitions and have compiled a nice bit of information. There are many more websites devoted to the cambodian arts as well including sample instructional bits like below:

Last edited by a moderator:

destructautomaton

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the link I found a treasure trove of footage on youtube and it looks like there is indeed alot going on in the cambodian community here.

Latest Discussions