by what belt do you think a MA student in any system

XBOXLIVE

White Belt
Reaction score
should be moving and understanding the ways of there art ?

:jediduel:

i think green

Last edited:

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's a pretty ambiguous question, given that there is so much difference in belt levels between different arts and different organizations. It is possible to get a BB in TKD in 2 or 3 years. In Gracie BJJ, 10 years seems to be common. And some arts don't even have belt levels at all, or use an archaic system like the Japanese Menkyo system.

OP
X

XBOXLIVE

White Belt
Reaction score
lets just say tae kwon do by what belt do you think a tkd student should be moving and understanding the ways of there art : techniques & forms ?

i know some will say it takes a lifetime to achieve that.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There is no generic rule of thumb. I've had students come in at White Belt who had natural grace and athletic ability and who shined after about the second week. I've had students who have struggled with it for years.

Haze

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I say Shodan (sho meaning begining, dan meaning level) At this grade a student should have a solid understanding of the art and it's principles. They might know 5 kata or 20 kata but kata IMHO only holds priciples of the art and are repeated in various patterns. So memorizing the kata is not what it's all about. Understanding the principles those kata are there to teach us is what it is about.

OP
X

XBOXLIVE

White Belt
Reaction score
i seen a horrible green belt and i was like whoa ! who gave this guy a green belt ?

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is just too much variance to answer this. I've seen white belts who have a pretty good understanding of the art they are studying. I've seen black belts that didn't have any bussiness with any belt around thier waist. It is all relative also.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well I do tkd and for me personally it was about 5th gup that it all started to make sense and I started to feel comfortable with what I was doing and the muscle memory started to kick in. But as you go up you raise the bar of what you deem as acceptable. Im a first dan black belt now and in many regards I feel Im only just starting to get it now.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Add to that the huge range of different belt systems used in different arts, and different organisations of the same art...

For example, my old Karate system went: White, Red, Yellow, Orange, Blue, Purple, Brown, Black, with up to three "stripes" between each belt. Other Karate systems use different belts and grading methods.

My old TKD system went: White, Yellow, Orange, Green, Blue, Brown, Black, with a coloured "tip", the colour of the next belt, inbetween. Other TKD organisations use different belts and grading methods.

Most Ninjutsu-related organisations have: White, Green, Black (we put Brown in as well, going White, Green, Brown, Black).

Some arts have White and Black.

Some have no ranking below Black at all.

And some don't use any belt ranking system at all.

So, really, the entire line of questioning is based on too little information.

Last edited:

derobec

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

If we except that arts which do not use a belt system are obviously not classifiable within the contexts of this question, then:

I say Shodan (sho meaning begining, dan meaning level) At this grade a student should have a solid understanding of the art and it's principles.

seems as good and clear an answer as any we're going to receive.

Best,
William

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
i seen a horrible green belt and i was like whoa ! who gave this guy a green belt ?
In reality you should not worry about such things. There may be someone looking at you and saying the same thing. The Martial Arts are personal and each person will differ from one another.

There may be a disability that you do not see that is preventing this person from ever being the most graceful or technically sound artist. You just don't know.

Please do not judge others by what you see. That person may have worked as hard as he/she could to achieve that level. Yes there are lazy people also that just don't put in effort, but again they get out of it what they put in.

I had a 60 year old man tell me that he started his training only to be able to sit on the floor and get up from it again. He worked his butt off and is pretty good for a 60+ year old now. Not only can he sit and rise from the floor on his own, but he can put a few people there as well. Is he the best looking artist? No, not by any means but he is the best that he can be for himself.

Don't judge the person but encourage him. When you see something that you may think is not up to standards, instead of criticizing and doing nothing to help, help him. Fix his stance, or correct his posture. Then tell him good, keep practicing. You will be amazed at how far that will go. You will have become someone to be looked up to in his eyes and you will have also helped yourself.

Plus green belt is only 7th gup or so. So it is not like he or she should look like a master or anything. They still have a long ways to go. Help them along the way.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
White belt.

Since that is the color my belt is heading towards, I am hoping that one of these days I will start getting it right.

Latest Discussions