Bush goes for the record...

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Unfortunate thing is, he also holds the record for the highest approval...

Highest approval rating:

George W. Bush holds the record with 92% (10/8-9/2001 -- after the September 11 attacks).
George H.W. Bush is second highest, with 89% (2/28/-3/3/1991 -- after the Gulf War).
Harry S. Truman is third highest, with 87% (6/1-5/1945 -- after the End of World War II in Europe).
Franklin D. Roosevelt is fourth highest, with 84% (1/8-13/1942 -- after the Attack on Pearl Harbor).

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Approval_rating

OP
J

jazkiljok

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Highest approval rating:

George W. Bush holds the record with 92% (10/8-9/2001 -- after the September 11 attacks).
George H.W. Bush is second highest, with 89% (2/28/-3/3/1991 -- after the Gulf War).
Harry S. Truman is third highest, with 87% (6/1-5/1945 -- after the End of World War II in Europe).
Franklin D. Roosevelt is fourth highest, with 84% (1/8-13/1942 -- after the Attack on Pearl Harbor).

well- fortunate or not-- it tells a story of a man who had the country's most solid backing ever and managed to squander it in an endless series of debacles, poor decisions, incompetent management and reckless policies.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very true, Jaz. Of course, congress holds the same distinction for an extremely low rating at the moment. I don't think I'm the only one in the country that's completely disgusted with the entire system right now. Anyone else wanna pool their money, buy an island somewhere and start our own country? I'll volunteer for Secretary of Defense...no, forget that. I'll be Secretary of the War Department.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Now see this is what I don't get:

If you or I or any of us peasants had that low of an "approval rating" at OUR jobs the people who hired us would terminate us immediately, forthwith, posthaste and tout de suite.

I'll let you do the math. the answer is not a very good one.

Monadnock

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Highest approval rating:

I'm beginning to see a pattern here.

War looks good, approval high.
War looks bad, approval low.

Out here in Red Sox country, we call 'em "Fair weather fans"

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Maybe his third term will see a rebound.

Personally, I think the American people have exactly the leadership they deserve. Record low turn outs, acceptance of corrupt election practices, and a willingness to sit on their asses and whine but do nothing else, and being too stupid to realize that if all these non-voters would get off their couches and go vote 3rd party, there are enough of them to put a non Democrap or Repuliturd on the Imperial Throne well, you get what we have. The most secretive, corrupt, vile, freedom destroying and despicable American Presidency in US History.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Maybe his third term will see a rebound.

Personally, I think the American people have exactly the leadership they deserve. Record low turn outs, acceptance of corrupt election practices, and a willingness to sit on their asses and whine but do nothing else, and being too stupid to realize that if all these non-voters would get off their couches and go vote 3rd party, there are enough of them to put a non Democrap or Repuliturd on the Imperial Throne well, you get what we have. The most secretive, corrupt, vile, freedom destroying and despicable American Presidency in US History.
Bob, I could not agree with you more...with one minor detail. The last sentence should include both aisles of both houses of Congress. I've been a Republican since I was 10 years old. Spent years defending the party even (ashamedly so) when they were blatantly wrong. In the past few years even I have been stopped in my tracks by some of the absolute crap I've seen. Ever been in a relationship where you were head over heels and trusted that person with everything you had and then caught them in bed with your best friend? I feel kinda like that, only worse. In the relationship I can call her lots of nasty names, punch the guy in the nose and move on the next one. With the political betrayal it's not just my heart that gets broken...it's my entire way of life. Bring on the third party candidate that actually has a clue and he/she will have my vote.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very true, Jaz. Of course, congress holds the same distinction for an extremely low rating at the moment. I don't think I'm the only one in the country that's completely disgusted with the entire system right now. Anyone else wanna pool their money, buy an island somewhere and start our own country? I'll volunteer for Secretary of Defense...no, forget that. I'll be Secretary of the War Department.

Since you properly called it "WAR Department and Not Defense" I think we can talk about us forming a more perfect union. ;)

I hear Hawai'i has some good assets we could nationalize the naval and air force bases there. :) ;) :D

*** For tho Government Bots - DUDE it is a Joke. Jeesh! :lol: ***

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Exactly.

I'm going third party no matter what, assuming I don't sit this next one out, assuming there'll be new elections .

I have done third party as they seem to try harder.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Exactly.

I'm going third party no matter what, assuming I don't sit this next one out, assuming there'll be new elections .
Andy, under no circumstances should you sit the next one out. You're an American, by god! Everything that the yahoos inside the beltway do effects you and yours. In my mind voting is not just a right that we enjoy here it's your duty as a citizen. I don't care who you choose to vote for so long as you vote for the person you feel will help us get this country back on track...which ever track you happen to want it on.:ultracool

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Oh, I'll definitely be voting, but I wonder sometimes: Yeah, you have the nominal *right* to vote, but *IS* it right to vote when the only candidates available are ones you wouldn't trust to mow your lawn, let alone run your country?

They haven't even had primaries or whittled down the candidates yet and there are literally *NO* candidates in the running I consider acceptable choices yet.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh, I'll definitely be voting, but I wonder sometimes: Yeah, you have the nominal *right* to vote, but *IS* it right to vote when the only candidates available are ones you wouldn't trust to mow your lawn, let alone run your country?

They haven't even had primaries or whittled down the candidates yet and there are literally *NO* candidates in the running I consider acceptable choices yet.

If everyone votes the same old two parties the system will never change.

If people never vote then the system will never change.

If everyone who was mad or upset went out and voted for a non-conventional party or person then those in charge would get the message that people are upset and want a change.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score

Sounds good to me! Actually, I'm almost half tempted to move to another country altogether... Disgusted doesn't even begin to cover it, in light of recent news.

Senjojutsu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The most secretive, corrupt, vile, freedom destroying and despicable American Presidency in US History.

1. Now Bob just for clarification, are you talking about the Bush Administration or the two terms living under the Clintonistas?
:uhyeah:

2. Have you all read the latest AP Poll about Congress: “Public satisfaction with the job lawmakers are doing has fallen 11 points since May, to 24 percent, according to the Associated Press-Ipsos poll. That's lower than for President Bush, who hasn't fared well lately, either.” Reminds me of how people in Arkansas, often being ranked as the 49th state in quality of life issues used to say, “at least we’re better than Mississippi (almost always ranked as 50th).

3. But for many of us we have come down with what the acerbic Boston Newspaper columnist Howie Carr has defined as "Bush Derangement Syndrome" (BDS). The final breaking point for many was of course when Jorge Bush wanted his legacy to be known as greatest president Mexico ever had. Nowhere has then been a greater political divide between the power elite (on both sides of the aisle) and us taxpaying plebeians than that recent Illegal Invader Amnesty Bill. Supporting that bill has done wonders for the John McCain's national candidacy – so maybe there is still some hope for the USA.

4. As far as 3rd party – I love it as a concept. However back in 1992, I like almost 19% of the riled populace voted for that Martian clone - H. Ross Perot - and what did it get us – Clinton? Now about a third party. For your edification, I have pulled data from US Presidential elections results since WWII – I have listed the vote results of the 3rd parties, filtered with the leading independent vote getter for that year (with 2 in 1948 - if they were even defined - since often it was as “Others”). We are all discontented, but with these historical results – do you think the power brokers at the DNC or RNC are losing sleep?

Year Candidate Name, Political_Party Pop Vote_%
2004 Ralph Nader, Independent 0.35%
2000 Ralph Nader, Green 2.73%
1996 H. Ross Perot, Reform 8.40%
1992 H. Ross Perot, Independent 18.91%
1988 Ron Paul, Libertarian 0.47%
1984 Others, Other 0.67%
1980 John Anderson, Independent 6.61%
1976 Eugene McCarthy, Independent 0.91%
1972 John Schmitz, American 1.42%
1968 George Wallace, American Ind. 13.53%
1964 Others, Other 0.18%
1960 Others, Other 0.31%
1956 Others, Other 0.34%
1952 Others, Other 0.49%
1948 J.Strom Thurmond, State's Rights 2.41%
1948 Henry Wallace, Progressive 2.37%

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No, John, they're not losing any sleep over it because of the way the funding for the campaigns are handled in this country. They should be though. There has been a change in the way information is passed in the world with the advent of the web. The times, they are a changing and soon the monopoly that the two major parties have had on the nations capitol is teetering on the brink.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think the country has major problems.

1. Questionable election practices
2. Private funding of elections (ie buying your politicians)
3. Intelligence and research are manipulated
4. Meek and complicit media
5. The president listens to no one

It's not that we're all so happy here. I vote, I call and write letters to my representatives, I attend demonstrations.

Then there are voting irregularities, so you don't know if your vote counts. Somebody richer than me buys my representative, so they don't care about my letters and phone calls. Intelligence is manipulated to reflect what the president wants. The press reports "tens of thousands" of demonstrators when I saw hundreds of thousands. And the president doesn't care what my opinion is, because he's the "decider."

So yeah, that private island is starting to look better and better.

Latest Discussions