Bullet Proof Shields

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
These days most swat teams use shields made of bullet proof glass to protect themselves during very violent shootings and what not. I was just thinking, wouldn't it be a good idea for a civilian to have one? I mean if some guy or gal does try to shoot you with a gun a bullet proof shield inside your car or lying around the house would be very helpful, and I am sure it will save lives. Especially those giant bullet proof shields that can almost cover your front of the body.

Perhaps they would even be a little helpful against melee weapons, depending on the strike I guess. It seems that they would be a great defense tool but it seems no one sells them. I am sure it is legal, I mean why wouldn't it be? It is a defense weapon not a offensive destructive weapon like a explosive. What do you think, and do you know of people who sell bullet proof shields?

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You bring up an interesting point I know that civilians can get bullet proof glass installed in cars/trucks. But with the cost being very high only very wealthy people opt to do so. IE Bill gates some celebrities. But on the shield issue I think it would be unpractical to walk around with a bullet proof shield. How easy would it be to walk around Wal-Mart with a 5 foot body shield and try to shop? Or attend a NASCAR race with 150,000 to 300,000 people all having body shields.

I think if some one was very concerned about being protected some what from small arms fire could buy and wear a bullet resistant vest. They sell them to the public and cost around 300-500 for a good one

Paul Genge

Green Belt
Reaction score
Though an interesting subject shield work is hardly the most practical method of self defence. Where are you going to put it in the event of a trip to your local shop or night club? After all they are not items that slip into your back pocket un-noticed.

Even if you placed the shield in the boot of your car (Trunk for residents of the US) there is not going to be time to get to it in the event of a shooting.

Balistic shields are equipment used by proffessionals to deal with certain situations they realistically may find themselves in. Do you really think you need one in your life?

Often people who start martial arts do so out of fear or a lack of confidence. Instead of addressing the reasons for this some people spend there cash on buying toys that make themselves feel secure. Unfortunately there is always a bigger shinnier toy out there that you must have to feel safe.

Save your cash, relax and get on with some training instead. Spend the money on visting a decent instructor. There are plenty of them out there if you are prepared to look outside of your local town.

Paul Genge
http://www.russianmartialart.org.uk

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Those shields would be for when you are going into a place expecting to be attacked with various weapons. Carrying one around with you just in case would make you look a little odd ;)

And why would a civillian need to go into a situation where they expect to get assaulted?

I think it would be a very expensive toy that would have no realistic use for anyone...

G

Gary Crawford

Andrew,not all of us have a bullet proof head like yours!

OP
K

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
Paul Genge said:
Though an interesting subject shield work is hardly the most practical method of self defence. Where are you going to put it in the event of a trip to your local shop or night club? After all they are not items that slip into your back pocket un-noticed.

Even if you placed the shield in the boot of your car (Trunk for residents of the US) there is not going to be time to get to it in the event of a shooting.

Balistic shields are equipment used by proffessionals to deal with certain situations they realistically may find themselves in. Do you really think you need one in your life?

Often people who start martial arts do so out of fear or a lack of confidence. Instead of addressing the reasons for this some people spend there cash on buying toys that make themselves feel secure. Unfortunately there is always a bigger shinnier toy out there that you must have to feel safe.

Save your cash, relax and get on with some training instead. Spend the money on visting a decent instructor. There are plenty of them out there if you are prepared to look outside of your local town.

Paul Genge
http://www.russianmartialart.org.uk
Well yea, self defense classes would be good and all for a civilian for defense but there is little self defense can do if you run into a shootout while driving. Or if some guy stand 100 feet away from you, you can't really fight back. I think in those type of situation it might be good to have one. Gang warfare in cities seems to rise by the day and a innocent civilian could be accidental shot. Perhaps there is little need for it in a small town, but anything can happen in this crazy world;).

hwarang

Orange Belt
Reaction score
yea im gonna carry around a bullet proof sheild.. ohh wait why dont i just get a gun....? duh

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kane said:
Or if some guy stand 100 feet away from you, you can't really fight back. I think in those type of situation it might be good to have one.
Whatever happened to running?

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Shields are for when you have to go TOWARDS the guns. Not for self defense. The best shield on the street is available cover. Cars, trees, walls etc...

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Shields are for when you have to go TOWARDS the guns. Not for self defense. The best shield on the street is available cover. Cars, trees, walls etc...
The first shield is hoping to "shield" yourself from beng there in the first place.

But, yes, anythng large and sound make a good shield. I rather find a brick building to run in or behind. Unless of course, there isnt a tank parked nearby.

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A Bullet Proof shield would be very hard to carry everywhere and Bullet Proof Vest are Not as safe anymore.. With Piercing Bullets and remember "Most Bullet Proof Vest are not safe against Bladed Attacks. I have seen a Double edged Knife Slide right through a vest and a 45 slug be stopped. Not to mention that except in the movies... A bad guy will shoot you in the head if your in a vest... and that will leave a mark.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
BruceCalkins said:
A Bullet Proof shield would be very hard to carry everywhere and Bullet Proof Vest are Not as safe anymore.. With Piercing Bullets and remember "Most Bullet Proof Vest are not safe against Bladed Attacks. I have seen a Double edged Knife Slide right through a vest and a 45 slug be stopped. Not to mention that except in the movies... A bad guy will shoot you in the head if your in a vest... and that will leave a mark.
Now that was a interesting post and good point.

Except with "leave a mark", was this in "pun" like Chris Farley's comedic words?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shiled? Doesn't seem very practical. I agree about available cover being your best shield, practically speaking.

Anyone else picturing Batman and Robin using the Bat-shield?

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
BruceCalkins said:
Most cops who survive being shot do so because of their vest. The largest vital ares is the torso and thats where most shots hit. If you have to go to a gunfight, the ballistic vest is still the best protection (aside from not being there or being behind cover) available. You sound like the lazy older cops I know who want to make every excuse to not wear a vest..to hot, slows me down, they'll just shoot me in the head...etc. Just look at the death/survival statistics of cops and then look at who was wearing their vest. Vests save lives.

http://www.house.gov/fossella/Press/pr_032598v.htm
"The statistics paint a sobering picture of the tragic consequences when bulletproof vests are not available or not used by police officers," Fossella said. "Since 1980, nearly 1,200 police officers have been killed by firearms, and not surprisingly, almost 1,000 of them were not wearing a bulletproof vest at the time. The numbers overwhelmingly indicate that vests save lives, especially when you consider that between 1985 and 1994, no police officer who was wearing a vest was killed by a gunshot would that penetrated it. When a police officer is shot every 12 hours and one is killed every 52 hours, it is our responsibility to do more, and this legislation is a step in the right direction."

OP
K

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Most cops who survive being shot do so because of their vest. The largest vital ares is the torso and thats where most shots hit. If you have to go to a gunfight, the ballistic vest is still the best protection (aside from not being there or being behind cover) available. You sound like the lazy older cops I know who want to make every excuse to not wear a vest..to hot, slows me down, they'll just shoot me in the head...etc. Just look at the death/survival statistics of cops and then look at who was wearing their vest. Vests save lives.

http://www.house.gov/fossella/Press/pr_032598v.htm
Yea I agree, many people in this thread are underestimating the protection of a bullet proof vest. I actually saw a documentary about the importance of cops on wearing the vest, but also the fact that cops neglect to put the vest on for reasons such as being too lazy or what not as you said. These vests are effective against most type of guns bullets I would think, probably a shield too.

I think in the US, where firearms are legal especially that bullet proof vests are not a bad idea, especially if you live in a very gang-infested part of a city. And of course if you are a cop it has the same importance.

Actually it might not be a bad idea for British cops or and other type of cops to wear it since most criminals have guns whether it is legal or not.

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In an earlier post I recommend a bullet resistant vest. I didn’t mean to knock the use of a vest or to say that they can not or will not save your life. It was my intention to keep in mind the purpose of a vest. A tactical bullet proof vest was/is not designed to stop a bladed weapon. The ballistics on the tip of a blade at striking speed is unreal. Only chain mail or plate steel can and will stop a blade.

Also a bullet proof vest is more for stopping .22 to some vests .357 rounds. Now if you added ceramic plates it could stop 44. Mag. rounds. But a vest will not stop say a 270, 30-06, 7.62x39 (AK, SKS) that would pass right through and take you out.

The average gun fight in the street will put you up against most likely a 9mm to 45acp rounds that’s what a vest is designed to stop. Yes the possibility of receiving a head shot does exist but I would think the use of a vest a better option than walking around with a body shield.

I also like the advice a lot of other member gave, stay clear of places that you know are trouble.

Latest Discussions