Bruce Lee's books

Discussion in 'The Library' started by PhotonGuy, May 15, 2019.

1. JR 137

JR 137 Senior Master

Have you found the best martial practice for yourself yet, or are you still searching?

Not a criticism, just a question.

2. Buka

Buka Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Saying Fred Astair wasn't a great dancer is like saying......hell, it's just fricken stupid.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Headhunter

Headhunter Senior Master

Yeah I saw that in another book about him that showed a philosophers quote and one of lees. It's almost identical apart from a few words. Seems he copied a lot

4. Headhunter

Headhunter Senior Master

Because Lee trained genuine martial arts. Jackie chan trained stunt choreography with a few flashy moves

5. Rat

Rat Black Belt

Probably going to do boxing*, then move over to a kickboxing style. Im thinking Muay Thai or sanda if either are available when i can go past my town. Then i might try to go to seminars and such as and when i find any i can get to which interest me. Still going to try and make a conscious effort for FMA though.

*if i like the persons teaching style and what they teach, waiting on the first actual training lesson.

6. Buka

Buka Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Rat, keep in mind, it's important to find a place that's fairly convenient to get to. And, yes, the teacher's style of teaching is a good thing to keep in mind.

Man, I hope you find some place you like. I's obvious how much you love the arts.

7. Headhunter

Headhunter Senior Master

Why don't you just do one and stick with it? You need to have a solid base not just get a few bits and pieces. Doing seminars in styles you have 0 experience in when you have barely any training won't do much for you. You should really spend a few years getting a solid foundation then you can start to add new things

8. jobo

jobo Grandmaster

his audition notes famously said " cant sing, cant act, balding, can dance a little," seem pretty accurate

9. jobo

jobo Grandmaster

genuine ma ..?. I thought he trained wing Chun? that why he had to invent his own, any way he appear to have a trained a number of ma

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. Buka

Buka Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Nice try, bro. But it won't work.

Everyone's a critic. Like the Pope said to Michelangelo, "Yo Mikey, it's very nice, but couldn't you make that hand in the center of the ceiling a little smaller?"

You're cherry picking. That review you mentioned was written by an underling at MGM who was soon after fired. It isn't in line with other reviews of the man, at least on the subject of dance, by people, who, you know, know something about the subject.

“…like Bach, who in his time had a great concentration of ability, essence, knowledge, a spread of music…Astaire has that same concentration of genius.” –Balanchine

“…simply the greatest, most imaginative dancer of our time.” –Nureyev

“What do dancers think of Fred Astaire? It's no secret. We hate him. He gives us a complex because he's too perfect. His perfection is an absurdity. It's too hard to face.” –Baryshnikov

I could dazzle you with instances of bad reviews concerning masterpieces, such as Ulysses, by James Joyce (1918) “In Ireland they try to make a cat clean by rubbing its nose in its own filth. Mr. Joyce has tried the same treatment on the human subject” –George Bernard Shaw.

Or Wuthering Heights, by Emily Bronte 1847. Actually one of my all time favorite reviews for it's absurd cruelty.
    How a human being could have attempted such a book as the present without committing suicide before he had finished a dozen chapters, is a mystery. It is a compound of vulgar depravity and unnatural horrors." –Graham's Lady Magazine

I have many more in a notebook somewhere, but no need, you got eyes don't you? If you don't think Fred Astaire is a great dancer you either don't think at all...or know absolutely nothing of dance.

• Like Like x 1
  11. jobo

jobo Grandmaster

I give more credit to your research if you new its was rko and not MGM, so who was fired from. MGM and what has it to do with this

I agree with both the reviews of Ulysses and wuthering heights, Ulysses is quite the wors3 book I've ever read

12. Rat

Rat Black Belt

Yeah the boxing is the only place i can conveniently get to. I was just tagging onto the two things i would progress to when i can. :p

13. gpseymour

gpseymour MT Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    Then get to, it, brother. You're missing all the fun!

14. Star Dragon

Star Dragon Orange Belt

I read Tao of Jeet Kune Do in my early teenage years and felt greatly inspired by it. (Just by watching Bruce's movies it is not immediately evident what a profound thinker he must have been.) I also read some of his other books. In fact, I was so impressed that I would have started studying JKD rather than Karate, had it been offered anywhere in my area.

Not least, Bruce's writings increased my interest in Daoism and Zen.

15. hoshin1600

hoshin1600 Senior Master

Just pointing out what @Headhunter already noted. Bruce was a true martial artist in so much as it was his passion and he put it on screen as an actor. Jackie studied chinese theatrics and became a stunt man. He never studied a martial art until much later in life. I think he studied Tae Kwon do.
    The question of Bruce vs jackie is a bit racist, why compare those two? Just because they are asian? Why compare Chan and not Jason Stathum to Bruce lee? How about Dolf Lundgren who is also a real martial artist.

16. Buka

Buka Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    No. Most of Astaire's work was with RKO, the quote was by a nobody at MGM.