British health care

Shuto

Purple Belt
Reaction score
link

I found this link interesting. It describes a panel of 'judges' who determine whether certain individuals will receive expensive health care. I really don't have a problem with weighing the potential benefits of any given treatment against it's cost. For example, I think there is a huge difference in providing a heart transplant for an otherwise healthy 30 yr old and providing the same procedure for anyone over 80 yrs old and I would have no problem denieing treatment for the latter. But for me, this is a relatively easy case and others would be a lot more complex and difficult to decide. I would find serving on this panel to be a very tough job indeed.

I think we will see something along these lines in the US in my lifetime. In fact, one could argue that it is already being done by at least some of the health care insurance providers. For example, I had a difficult time getting my HCP to authorize an MRI when I injured my knee. But whatever is inplace today in the US is sure to expand IMO.