Bringing in other styles

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
have you ever brouhgt in ohter styles like Karate or Kenpo to sparr at your TKD school and if so how was it and what general rules did you follow?
Terry

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it is a good idea but when it comes to sparring it is hard to have a sparring sessions where both styles are ok with the rules. U dont want one style to have an advantage over another.

For example you dont want someone who does Hapkido in a sparring match against a TKD'er and there is no grabbing, etc. The Hapkido guy is at an unfair disadvantage.

I think different styles work great to spar b/c it gives u a variety but at the same time they gotta be somewhat close so that their are no unfair disadvantages.

Now witht hat being said, if you plan on having sparring rules like off of the movie Best of the Best then you should be good.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do bring in other styles to help out with my students. I train myself in multiple styles and use my own training to help them be more prepared for what they will face. The rules are dependant on which styles come in to spar. I try to accomodate all parties that will be participating. If my students are used to only one set of rules how can they ever adapt to the street? They can't. We train them to be as prepared as I can get them. If that will help them live through an altercation then it is all worth it.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At some point, I'll have my students spar w/ the Karate students at the Community Center. We'll probably use the "no face punch" rule, but head kicks will be legal. Nothing bellow the waist. Punches to the chest will be legal.

I think this will benefit both schools.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
We teach both Taekwondo and Tang Soo Do at our dojang and we have a separate sparring class where both groups get to play.

Miles

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yea, you need to be fair a TKD fighter and an Hapkido fighter? Just to big of a difference. I like TKD vrs. TSD or Shotokan, Kempo.........there are differences, but just enough to make it fun.

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
We often have some TKD guys come into our karate dojo. Regular sparring rules and kicks and punches are valued equally.

It is a good learning experience for everyone.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
For example you dont want someone who does Hapkido in a sparring match against a TKD'er and there is no grabbing, etc. The Hapkido guy is at an unfair disadvantage.

Sorry I have to disagree, having someone who is profecient in hapkido spar a tae kwon doist is a fair match up. It all comes down to how much work you put into sparring.

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
Back in 1983, our instructor had students of a friend of his come to our class to spar. We had done point sparing and boxing sparing, a coach at the same community center was an amateur boxing coach, so his boxers had a lot to teach us. We were willing to spar with any kind of rules. These guys were into Bama Lethwei and Muay Thai. I had only seen little of it. Eastern kickboxing rules, OK! So my first match was against the man who was to be my instructor in many other arts after this time. I took a deep back stance and shuto on guard, (right out of Pinon 2/Hean Nidan) he kinda giggled and put up a high Muay Thai/Lethwei guard. I saw ribs and I threw my best rear leg round roundkick at his ribs, he brought his lead knee up & lead elbow down onto my instep. CRACK! Hurt like hell, he had a **** eating grin on his face and kept his guard high. I followed him around like a Kung Fu Theater disciple, will you be my teacher? Exchanges in sparing skills and rules can be of a benefit to those who want to be more well rounded outside their particular system. PEACE

stingg

White Belt
Reaction score
I frequently worked with a guy who also did judo, and he taught me a little. Since we were both up red belt/black belt range, our instructor would just let us go at it. The rules we were given were:
1. Keep it above the belt.
2. No blood.
3. You should still be friends when it's over.
When I started Shotokan, I did a little casual sparring with some of the upper ranked belts. They took it easy on me because I was a newbie, (I don't know if it's a common practice, but they didn't have free sparring until brown belt, so they were suprised by my skills). Jump kicks were the only thing that they didn't handle well, otherwise it was a pretty solid match up.