Breathing

R

Richard S.

As usual i got up before the Sun this morning, went out back, went through my hand forms and practiced lower ab breathing and as usual i was amazed at the physical sensations i get. how about ya"all? (southernese) how does it make you feel? does your hair stand up? metallic taste in your mouth? do your toes curl?

Pappy Geo

Green Belt
Reaction score
At my age I am just happy to see the sun rise one more time and still be breathing! It makes me feel fuzzy and warm!

I love the mornings, especially the warm sunnyones. See everything is relative to your own personality. LOL

OP
W

white dragon

I am a student, and as such tend not to bother getting dressed until the sun is almost ready to go down. :)

KumaSan

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Missed the sunrise this morning. I was already at work. Somedays I have to start at 5 am, somedays I get off at 5 am. In the winter I can go weeks without even seeing the sun (no windows here at work).

OP
R

Richard S.

BUMMER! without windows i think id go postal

KumaSan

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
After a few years you get used to it. It's the 12 hours shifts that make you want to go postal.;)

OP
W

WannaBeAmachine

not to change to topic but 4 on 4 off(hours not days) , a month at a time sucks too.

Rick.. i know what you are talking about when i do my meditation/deep breathing, which seems to be less and less often recently, i get all tingly and feel light.

KumaSan

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by WannaBeAmachine

not to change to topic but 4 on 4 off(hours not days) , a month at a time sucks too.

Never had it that bad, but we did do 6 and 6 for a couple of months at sea. Hated that, much prefer 12 and 12. Now I've got more time off than I know what to do with.

Kuma
The happy squid on shore duty

OP
R

Richard S.

Columbine?!!!! man, THATS HARSH!. ok, i guess what im looking for is 1; am i the only one who physically feels the effects of lower abdominal respiration? and 2; what method of such do the other styles advocate? i mean, in Wing Chun we are taught standard lower ab breathing and the reverse (Taoist) lower ab method are there others?...............respects.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Years ago when I lived in New Hampshire I would get up early do sanchin then walk or run the 4 or so miles work.
Then I moved to southern Calif. Got up in the mor loked at the brown air and said forget that. When yu can tast the air I'm not sure how much good doing Sanchin in it is.
I live back on the NE coast again and get up early ,for work, walk to work but only do Sanchin at night in the school. on weekends I get up at noon and do littlle all day. Things sure change over time if you let them. Should start trying to do Sanchin in the morning again.
Shadow

OP
C

Chiduce

I use lower abdominal and reverse abdominal breathing in stationary and moving soft and hard gong exercises. I get an excellent tingling throughout my body. The chi concentration ends at the center of my feet and palms. I also use lower ab breathing in static splitting with upper body forms. Weekdays i will tarin in the morning and in the early morning when i get off work. It helps in me getting a good night sleep! Sincerely, In Humility; Chiduce!

OP
R

Richard S.

chiduce, at last, quality input from a fellow North Carolinian. (i should have known) thank you sir!................respects.

OP
W

white dragon

ok, being serious now, what are you actually talking about? How do you achieve the technique?

OP
R

Richard S.

white dragon, no disrespect intended, but im not comfortable with turning this into a "how-to -thread." ask your teacher about it. all i am looking for is a description of the various physical manifestations of chi breathing so i can compare them with my own..........respects.

OP
M

Mantis Leg

Breathing exercises do some pretty neat things, depending on what the body is doing. When I sit in zazen I feel the tingly flow and my head starts to feel funny. Can't really explain that but to say it feels thick(no doubt, eh?). When I'm just sitting and breathing for flow I get the tingles too. Things get really cool when the body's moving though. sanchin doesn't make me tingle, it makes me sweat like mad. My head goes elsewhere. Another form I do soft and the flow is really cool. My hands and arms get the tingles. My whole body feels the energy moving but it seems to pour out of the hands. Not like Sanchin.

OP
T

ThuNder_FoOt

I know exactly what you guys are talking about. Energy flows all over, from head to toe. I practice the abdominal and reverse breathing techniques. My favorite standing posture, is the 'Lifting the Sky', I do this one everyday no matter what... maybe I should do all in this manner, hehe. As far as sitting postures, I usually use zazen or seiza. Maybe I'm not focusing good enough, but when I do my sitting postures I only feel limited energy to my legs, as they are bent and such. How do you guys overcome this?

I recently started doing a few Yang Style Tai Chi forms... they seem to work great for me! One thing though, when I do these forms, I seem to be moving outside of my limbs... it feels at times as if i'm not in control. At first it was just tingly feeling, and then this. Can anyone explain this to me? If you feel awkward in explaining, please feel free to PM me, it would be much appreciated.

Please excuse me for my naivety, as I am new to chi manifestation. My background consists of mainly hard styles... but I am trying to balance my training out.

I was wondering, sitting versus standing... do they differ in any way? Sorry for all the dumb questions everyone.
:asian: :asian:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I tend to get that tinkeling feeling when I'm not breathing correctly{being chocked out}
Everyone say Breathing is good I like to Breath.
Being serious doing breathing excersises is a good way to start and end everyday. They help the body start fresh and help cleans the body.
Shadow

Latest Discussions