Breaking bricks

OP
JR 137

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
One of my goals in life is to never end up on YouTube for doing something like this...

Hence my banning of all phones when I attempt it in front of my class :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dunno, JR. Those things somehow just look denser than a standard brick.How heavy are they compared to a standard red brick at the home improvement store?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One of my goals in life is to never end up on YouTube for doing something like this...

Hence my banning of all phones when I attempt it in front of my class :)

Never saw that one before. Oh....my.....God.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
The strength of bricks varies quite a bit. Some bricks are much stronger and harder to break while other bricks, a small child could sit on them and they would break, so I've heard. Supposedly baking bricks in an oven will weaken them although Im not sure at what temperature you would have to bake them and for how long to make a difference.

OP
JR 137

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I dunno, JR. Those things somehow just look denser than a standard brick.How heavy are they compared to a standard red brick at the home improvement store?

The strength of bricks varies quite a bit. Some bricks are much stronger and harder to break while other bricks, a small child could sit on them and they would break, so I've heard. Supposedly baking bricks in an oven will weaken them although Im not sure at what temperature you would have to bake them and for how long to make a difference.

I've seen various bricks (not pavers) being broken in videos. The ones I have don't look like any of them. Mine aren't porous at all. I think they're higher spec than average; they were chimney bricks that some of them fell about 3 stories without breaking.

There's a masonry specialty store my teacher buys pavers from. Maybe I'll bring one with me and ask what my chances are of breaking it. I'm not going there specifically for that; I'll pick up a few pavers for the dojo and for myself.

OP
JR 137

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It could be worse.....

I don't know if that one's worse, but it's pretty bad. It's like asking if I'd rather the electric chair or be hanged.

That video never gets old either.

OP
JR 137

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I always wonder with that one whether the guy was intentionally using a weakened one, or if he just happened to end up with a crappy one.
Or if the people from the show told him he had to use fake ones. I can see them saying they don't want him potentially getting hurt or anything going wrong on live tv.

Edit: Then again, something did go wrong on live tv.

Latest Discussions