Breaking bricks with a spear hand?

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've never come across a video, let alone seen someone bust a brick with a spear hand. Wondering if anyone's done it, seen it done or knows somebody's mother's freind's cousin's step-sister's piano teacher who has.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've seen boards, but never bricks no.
I think it could be due to the difference in breaking the two materials, boards require a faster impact, bricks require an almost sustained impact (if that makes sense). I could be wrong, I don't do either with a spearhand. I like the sensations of my fingertips 'feeling' things too much to condition them for that.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've not seen anyone break bricks with a spearhand, either. GM Lee, Kyu Hyung is famous for breaking multiple boards with it, however.

I've done it with one board. I won't do it again.

Last edited by a moderator:

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've not seen anyone break bricks with a spearhand, either. GM Lee, Kyu Hyung is famous for breaking multiple boards with it, however.

Impressive, to say the least. Wowzers.

I've done it with one board. I won't do it again.

I salute you for even doing ONE board :)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Em MacIntosh

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've seen boards, but never bricks no.
I think it could be due to the difference in breaking the two materials, boards require a faster impact, bricks require an almost sustained impact (if that makes sense). I could be wrong, I don't do either with a spearhand. I like the sensations of my fingertips 'feeling' things too much to condition them for that.

Makes perfect sense to me. Just wondering so I asked.

Latest Discussions