Branches of the Falling Pine

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Where did this Villari form come from?

Actually, you can see this form in a lot of different styles of martial arts. It's typically called White Crane. Here's a link to a guy on youtube.com doing it:

Last edited by a moderator:

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I may be mistaken but the white crane form is the same as rohai and if this is so then it is the statue of the crane tha tit resembles and not Branches. as far as i know Branches is a Villari creation.

Respectfully,
marlon

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I may be mistaken but the white crane form is the same as rohai and if this is so then it is the statue of the crane tha tit resembles and not Branches. as far as i know Branches is a Villari creation.

Respectfully,
marlon

Watch the clip...the guy is from American Kenpo

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
When I was taught it the guys in Vegas called in Branches of the fallen Pine, while some of the guy in Orange county kept on calling it the White Crane Form.

That's because if you read the forms taught, you'll find out that it's also called White Crane..

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Watch the clip...the guy is from American Kenpo

Actually, that's 'hainphan' from the yahoo.com shaolin kempo group. He posted that clip to youtube in response to a request over there. He tried to do it slowly so that folks could see what he was doing, and apologized as he had not done the form in a while. He lists it as a shaolin kempo form. I've never seen it done outside the style, and it's not a form from the shorin-ryu syllabus for sure. It doesn't look like any of the naha-te styles either (not their movement style). Since the naha-te styles share common traits with the feeding crane kung fu styles, I'd guess we wouldn't see it there either.

I'm pretty sure that's just another Villari form.

Matt

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Actually, that's 'hainphan' from the yahoo.com shaolin kempo group. He posted that clip to youtube in response to a request over there. He tried to do it slowly so that folks could see what he was doing, and apologized as he had not done the form in a while. He lists it as a shaolin kempo form. I've never seen it done outside the style, and it's not a form from the shorin-ryu syllabus for sure. It doesn't look like any of the naha-te styles either (not their movement style). Since the naha-te styles share common traits with the feeding crane kung fu styles, I'd guess we wouldn't see it there either.

Matt

I know someone that's a Master in TKD and he has the form...I've seen him do it. He has no SKK experience. I'm going to see if I can get him on the forum to validify this statement. FV didn't make up all the forms after black...although the ones he did make are rad.

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
I know someone that's a Master in TKD and he has the form...I've seen him do it. He has no SKK experience. I'm going to see if I can get him on the forum to validify this statement. FV didn't make up all the forms after black...although the ones he did make are rad.

Do you know what style of TKD he's from? ITF, WTF, ATA, etc. I'll see if I can track down a TKD curriculum from that style and see if I can come up with it too. I would be very interested to see if that form came from elsewhere. It doesn't resemble any ITF form I know. It's a long story, but I sort of 'coached' someone during their prep for their TKD black belt. If it's a TKD form that would really be interesting. That would be great if you could pinpoint a source.

Matt

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Matt

I know this form, or at least a very close rendition of it, as White Crane ... I'm former FVSSD and currently USSD. Although I was learning some pine tree techniques way back when, I did not have this form when with FVSSD.

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
I know this form, or at least a very close rendition of it, as White Crane ... I'm former FVSSD and currently USSD. Although I was learning some pine tree techniques way back when, I did not have this form when with FVSSD.

But you learned it in the context of USSD / Shaolin Kempo, yes?

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
But you learned it in the context of USSD / Shaolin Kempo, yes?

Correct ... USSD

As I see the form, Branches of the Falling Pine, from a video I have that I think is an FV influence, it doesn't look much like what I have as White Crane. The form as it is shown on the 'YouTube' link does look a lot like the USSD version of White Crane.

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Correct ... USSD

As I see the form, Branches of the Falling Pine, from a video I have that I think is an FV influence, it doesn't look much like what I have as White Crane. The form as it is shown on the 'YouTube' link does look a lot like the USSD version of White Crane.

Is the other one that you saw done by Ken Warner? He had it on his site for a while. His version looks similar, but is done much faster and more explosively. His school is now called evolution karate, but when he went up through the ranks, he was with FVSSD with my first instructor, and was one of the schools that left FVSSD for USSD with Demasco in the early 90's. He has lots of good info at his site. Maybe if we ask nicely he'll put the video back online for compare and contrast.

Matt

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Is the other one that you saw done by Ken Warner? He had it on his site for a while. His version looks similar, but is done much faster and more explosively. His school is now called evolution karate, but when he went up through the ranks, he was with FVSSD with my first instructor, and was one of the schools that left FVSSD for USSD with Demasco in the early 90's. He has lots of good info at his site. Maybe if we ask nicely he'll put the video back online for compare and contrast.

Matt

Matt i have Ken's version on my computer and it is very different i find from the you tube version
marlon

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Matt i have Ken's version on my computer and it is very different i find from the you tube version
marlon

I just found it on mine too (too much stuff - must get organized!) and I'll take a look side by side shortly.

Matt

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
if i remember right the one done on Ken Warners site is done by one of his female black belts and it has a lot of the tai chi coiling movements in it. I actually have the DVD put out from when he was Kempokan.
In Peace
Jesse

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
That's because if you read the forms taught, you'll find out that it's also called White Crane..

It must have been nice to receive the secret handbook of material above Shodan. I never received anything with the names of the forms written down above Shodan. I did here branches referred to as white crane however.

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
marlon

Hello Marlon,

Do you find the Kempokan versions of 5 Dragons and Tai Sai Mong extremly different from the Professor I version?

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello Marlon,

Do you find the Kempokan versions of 5 Dragons and Tai Sai Mong extremly different from the Professor I version?

I do not have kempokan's 5 dragons nor tai sing mon. the branches of the falling pine i have were done by a man i assume is Ken Warner and although recognizable as Branches it is very at least done very differently...more like the version of invincible wall i have.

Marlon