boxing

manchu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi. Since my instructor left, I have not been able to find another Muay Thai teacher. As some suggested, I started going to boxing class. I am just realizing that I don't know the correct forms at all. Am I supposed to use the boxing forms to do Muay Thai? I guess I can watch Youtube and learn. Was I just so ignorant and no one happened to tell me my wrong forms for a the past year I was praciticng Muay Thai?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some things are going to be different. In Boxing you can commit your weight to your lead leg without worrying about it being kicked, you can lean in and bob a lot deeper and more from the waist without worrying about getting clinched or kicked in the face.

Even ignoring all of that, different coaches are going to emphasis different things at different points in training. Even with good fairly good technique a new set of eyes might pick up on a different set of things.

You also have the fact that straight boxing is far more focused then Muay Thai, you just have punches. No kicks, knees, elbows or clinch work. That tends to lead to a greater level of detail when it comes to punching.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes as Andrew has mentioned they are a little different! Enjoy boxing and improve those skill sets!
icon14.gif

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
not only will the techniques be different, but there will be discrepancies among coaches as to which way is "right". just with the jab, i've had different coaches tell me to step into it, not to step in, keep the shoulders squared, drive your lead shoulder into it...just do it the best you can & if your coach doesn't like it he'll let you know.

jf

grado

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
there is nothing wrong, if you like, can change muay thai to boxing. is quite fun, bu both of them have to train hard.or else, you will think watching people fight better then self-leaning.

Latest Discussions