Boxing/Muay Thai and head trauma

OP
J

justanormalguy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks! I'll ask him next class.

I do need to order/buy the following:

A jump rope - I'm assuming a 10' since I'm 6'2"?
Hand wraps - Suggestions?
Gloves - They are selling some at the gym but want $52 (I think they were ProForce 16 ounce?) Any suggestions on weight and brand?
Heavy bag - I'm trying to find a cheap one one craigslist or a resale shop. Any suggestions?

Anything else I need?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
10' jump rope should be fine, but there are apparently adjustable ones available. (I haven't tried the adjustable ones, but Amazon has one for 6.99 which looks good.)

I'm still using my original Ringside Mexican style hand wraps that I bought 20 years ago. They're a bit ragged but still functional. I don't know if the brand matters that much - it's hard to screw up a length of flat cloth with some Velcro on one end.

For the gloves, it matters whether you intend to spar, compete, or just use them for bag work. Ask your coach what weight he wants you to start with. ProForce is fine, but you can get them much cheaper online. Amazon has 16 oz ProForce gloves for 18.44 (Leatherette) or 29.99 (real leather).

Heavy bag - I've always just used whatever the gym has, since it's not practical to hang one in an apartment. Maybe other members can chime in with their preferences.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you had a good first experience.
As to equipment;
Ask your coach for his recommendations as to the type of glove/s you will be needing.
At 6'2" you should probable be using 16 oz Training Gloves vs bag gloves or sparring gloves. The design of good training gloves will give you the protection and support of both a bag glove and a pad work glove as well as light sparring.
Bag gloves tend to be more dense and a bit lighter for the intensity of heavy bag work whereas a sparring glove is usually larger and is less dense to protect the opponent in sparring and tends to wear out or break down with heavy bag work. Bear knuckle punching gloves offer no protection other than preventing the tearing of the skin on your knuckles when pounding on the heavy bag. Muay Thai style training gloves are also designed to protect the opponent, when doing clinch work, from neck abrasions from the velcro on the cuff straps.
When it comes to handwraps I strongly recommend getting a couple of pairs of Mexican style or semi-elastic style vs the plain cotton. They are a lot easier to untangle, lay flatter allowing you to wrap easier, and they will last longer. Depending on how much you train you will want to have a clean pair vs wearing the same stinking and wet with sweat from the last workout again and again.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Pretty much agree with what has already been said, particularly Danny's comment about wet, stinking gear!

I had a freestanding bag that you filled the base with water or sand which was quite good and retailed at around £100. It lasted about 2 1/2 years with only a couple of small tears that I managed to fix, until recently when various parts of it started giving way - it's been sitting at my parent's house for a while now since I moved into a new flat, so I probably got a bit excited about the prospect of using it again and it was too worn out to survive! I can lookup the make/model when I get some free time if you'd find it useful....

I live in a middle floor flat now so other than doing dumbell exercises and the odd bit of shadow boxing, my home is no longer the make-shift gym it once was. If you're joining somewhere with access to facilities 5 - 7 days a week then I'd skip on buying a heavy bag, to be honest. It's what I'm doing now.

As for gloves, they don't need to be super expensive....just comfortable and fit-for-purpose. I have a seperate set for sparring and bagwork

OP
J

justanormalguy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So I'm back. After taking a couple of boxing classes, I am not sure this is what I'm looking for. The classes seem to be much more tailored to physical fitness (the classes are exhausting - no mention of self defense at all). The majority of the participates are women and I get the feeling are just there for a good work out (there is only one other guy in the class and he seems to have some past boxing experience). The instructor has also started to mix some kickboxing into the classes.

So my choices are to stick with the boxing or try a different place (there are schools that offer, Tae Kwon Do, Hap Ki Do and Judo all in my town). Thoughts?

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am still trying to decide on a martial art/self defense course to start (I originally was looking at Krav Maga but have read a lot of negative about it) and am leaning towards boxing/Muay Thai. However, I do have a concern about head trauma (I have read many of the studies on football players and Chronic traumatic encephalopathy) and these two disciplines. I've watched my grandparents go through Alzheimer's and Parkinsan's disease and I want to keep my brain as health as possible! I have no desire to compete in either of these, just want to learn how to better defend myself and my family, gain confidence and get in better shape. Thoughts?
by doing those sports doesn't mean your going to get hit. The only way of getting head injuries in training is sparring. Now it depends on the gym but in my kickboxing gym you don't have to spar there's an hour before hand of just focus mit work which is non contact

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So I'm back. After taking a couple of boxing classes, I am not sure this is what I'm looking for. The classes seem to be much more tailored to physical fitness (the classes are exhausting - no mention of self defense at all). The majority of the participates are women and I get the feeling are just there for a good work out (there is only one other guy in the class and he seems to have some past boxing experience). The instructor has also started to mix some kickboxing into the classes.

So my choices are to stick with the boxing or try a different place (there are schools that offer, Tae Kwon Do, Hap Ki Do and Judo all in my town). Thoughts?

Hapkido is my vote, try out a few classes.

I get what you mean about different types of boxing (fitness vs real). I noticed the gal next to me at work had boxing gloves in her bag. I said "oh you take boxing?" she replied yes. I then explained I was trying to replace my current mouth-guard, and what brand did she use? She looked at me in in horror and shock - "not that kid of boxing!".

OP
J

justanormalguy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Here are the credentials of the Hapkido instructor:

Master Lee
  • 7th degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do

• 4th degree black belt in Hap Ki Do

• World Tae Kwon Do Headquarters Certified Instructor

• US Hap Ki Do Black Eagle Illinoise State president

• US Tae Kwon Do Chung Do Kwan Director

• USAT Tae Kwon Do Certified referee

• Korea police Academy Hap Ki Do Instructor (1998)

• Korea State Police Headquarters Tae Kwon Do Instructor(1998)

• Korea SWAT Team Head Instructor (1999 - 2002)

• Korea Presidential and Vip Guard (1999 - 2002)

• 2002 Korea World Cup Guard

• 2000 Asia - Europe President Meeting Guard (ASEM)

• Hap Ki Do State Sparring Team 1996-1997

• Hap Ki Do National Demonstration Team (Black Eagle, 1993- 1998)

• Tae Kwon Do State Sparring Team 1999-2000

• Korea SWAT Team Champion 2002

• Came to USA in 2002

Master lee has earned national recognition for his martial art skills and teaching methods in the korea, he contributed to SWAT team and police to save many hostages and Citizens safely from criminals, Master Lee currently directs all his efforts to bring the benefits of Martial arts to the local community.

Master Cho
  • 7th degree black belt in Hap Ki Do

• Head of International Department of the Hap Ki Do Heuk Choo Kwan Association

• Technical Director of the Heuk Choo Kwan Association

• Instructor of the korean Martial Arts School

• Demonstration Director of the Black Eagle Central Demonstration Team

• Supervisor of Hap Ki Do Seminars in US, UK, Portugal, Australia

• 1st Class International Referee of Hap Ki Do

• 1st Class Referee of Korean Hap ki Do Competition Association

• 1993 Hap Ki Do World Competition Champion
Thoughts?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Master Lee

• Came to USA in 2002

Master lee has earned national recognition for his martial art skills and teaching methods in the korea, he contributed to SWAT team and police to save many hostages and Citizens safely from criminals, Master Lee currently directs all his efforts to bring the benefits of Martial arts to the local community.

Master Cho

Thoughts?

OK. Now bear in mind none of that may be true. But also a lot of that could be verified. So you go through those credentials with the Google fu and see if it stacks up.

So now we start chasing.

For example this?

What the?

OP
J

justanormalguy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My other option is to take private lessons from the guy that teaches the boxing. He seemed very knowledgeable when I had my first class which was one on one (no one else showed up). I could tell him I want more self defense and less cardio.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Probably easier to just link to the websites of the other schools you are considering. We're more likely to spot any red flags that way.

OK. Now bear in mind none of that may be true. But also a lot of that could be verified. So you go through those credentials with the Google fu and see if it stacks up.

Also in some cases the credentials may be honest but don't mean anything as impressive as what they sound like.

For example this?

What the?

That opening demo was particularly embarrassing. I don't know if it has any connection to the instructors in question though. (Other than being hapkido)

My other option is to take private lessons from the guy that teaches the boxing.

If it's affordable under your budget, this may be worth checking out.

OP
J

justanormalguy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Private lessons are only $20 for an hour I believe. So it's actually more affordable than the Hapkido classes even.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My other option is to take private lessons from the guy that teaches the boxing. He seemed very knowledgeable when I had my first class which was one on one (no one else showed up). I could tell him I want more self defense and less cardio.

The hapkido is still not a bust. We just need to look at it more closely.

If you are going to do a ring sport properly you will need cardio.

It is no good being joe awesome for the first 30 seconds of a round and then calling a time out.

It is no good sparring one round and sitting out.

It is no good doing drills like a sloppy thing. Or not getting enough reps in because your fitness let you down.

OP
J

justanormalguy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks drop bear. I understand the need for cardio. But my primary reason for taking some sort of self defense/martial arts is to protect myself and my family. I know the chances of such a situation ever arising are slim (and I hope they never do) but just having the skills are important to me. So fitness would come below self defense and confidence on the list of things I want to gain. I can work on fitness in other ways (running, lifting, HIIT, etc). I have no plans on ever getting in a formal boxing ring and fighting for a round or multiple rounds (although I would like to spar).

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks drop bear. I understand the need for cardio. But my primary reason for taking some sort of self defense/martial arts is to protect myself and my family. I know the chances of such a situation ever arising are slim (and I hope they never do) but just having the skills are important to me. So fitness would come below self defense and confidence on the list of things I want to gain. I can work on fitness in other ways (running, lifting, HIIT, etc). I have no plans on ever getting in a formal boxing ring and fighting for a round or multiple rounds (although I would like to spar).

Good schools have fit students because they make better quality fighters. It is one of the ways of identifying a better quality school.

One of the things we find is a guy cant spar a round. So they do mabye a couple of minutes of effective training. Our fighters spar 10 plus rounds which is 50 minutes of effective training. Just looking at the numbers. You will become better quicker if you train longer.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Master Lee

• Came to USA in 2002

Master Cho

Thoughts?
My thoughts? It all SOUNDS impressive. But who gives a crap? Demonstration Team, SWAT Instructor, and VIP Guard have jack-crap to do with what you're interested in. Go try a few classes of each and stick with whichever one you find the most fun. That's the one you will "stick with" over time, maintaining your training.

While I do, to a certain degree, believe that there are some "arts" which are "better for self defense" than some others, but, also to a certain degree, most of them, if trained diligently, will still give you a better shot than nothing. And, further, as I implied, the one you stick with, even if it's just "mediocre," is a bunch better than the awesome fantastic one which you gave up because it wasn't fun or got you injured too often. Like the old saw from "the great caliber wars" in the firearms arena, the .22LR handgun you have with you is better than the .45ACP you left home in your safe. ;)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Sounds like the instructor is tailoring the class right now for what the vast majority of his students are looking for.

It sounds like a (kick)boxercise class - you'll be lucky to get much in the way of fighting skill developed from one of those.

Latest Discussions